The online racing simulator
race seat question
(14 posts, started )
OK this is more of a non hardware technical thing but i need an answer
im thinking of building a racing seat like a frame wat should i build it out of i was thinking alloy as i can weild it myself but any info or plans or any help would be brilliant
Hey dude.
1st thing.. Can u using grammer, etc. It makes posts alot easyer to read for us and yeh.

2nd. This sould be in the Hardware section, i think.

3rd. Us piping. cheep and strong.

SiD out.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :Pfft!

Don't bother mate
Quote from tristancliffe :Don't bother mate

Damnit, I was getting ready for a little war here...
Quote from SID135 :Hey dude.
1st thing.. Can u using grammer, etc. It makes posts alot easyer to read for us and yeh.

2nd. This sould be in the Hardware section, i think.

3rd. Us piping. cheep and strong.

SiD out.

If you're going to ask him to use grammar, maybe you should use English.

When welding, brazing (I think thats the correct spelling) would make a better option, as the joints are cleaner, and stronger then if your weld. There is a book about it on the web (I googled "How to braze" or something around that). Good guide, very useful if you want it to look clean when you finish.

Just found the book.
...moved to Hardware section
I don't think that's entirely correct.

Brazing is much safer, in so much as a nice looking braze is probably a good braze. But the breaking stress of braze will be lower than that of the parent metal. The upside is the braze is much less brittle, and less prone to cracking.

Welding (lets stick with MiG here for the time being) melts the parent metal, so the join is stronger and more rigid, but also brittler. Also, just because a MiG weld looks nice on the outside, doesn't mean the penentration is necessarily any good.

So, if you were making a chassis (for example) out of tubular steel, and you weren't an experienced welder, I'd say braze it. Another problem though, is that the SVA test in the UK (for small volume car manufacture - kitcars, home builts, etc), they don't like brazing anymore, becuase some beaurocrat in a suit who has never done a days proper work in his life, let alone welded, has decided that the strongest solution must be the best in every case.
I think he's planning to build a sim racing seat to sit in front of the monitor, maybe strength is less critical than if it was finding its way into a real car!
I know, but I was merely stating that braze isn't stronger, as mentioned above. I've never made a race seat thingy, but I have made chassis', hence the area of my example
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't think that's entirely correct.

Brazing is much safer, in so much as a nice looking braze is probably a good braze. But the breaking stress of braze will be lower than that of the parent metal. The upside is the braze is much less brittle, and less prone to cracking.

Welding (lets stick with MiG here for the time being) melts the parent metal, so the join is stronger and more rigid, but also brittler. Also, just because a MiG weld looks nice on the outside, doesn't mean the penentration is necessarily any good.

So, if you were making a chassis (for example) out of tubular steel, and you weren't an experienced welder, I'd say braze it. Another problem though, is that the SVA test in the UK (for small volume car manufacture - kitcars, home builts, etc), they don't like brazing anymore, becuase some beaurocrat in a suit who has never done a days proper work in his life, let alone welded, has decided that the strongest solution must be the best in every case.

Not totaly true. If you read that site, it does say that brazing (if done right) is as strong, if not stronger as the metals used (I think not read it in a few months, could be wrong). It goes into some great detail, and the pros and cons of each. Though I only really used it when making my own RC a few years ago, as it made amazingly clean lines, over the old method I was using, which was just a solding iron, and silver based solder.

Quote :It offers one big plus – strength. Properly made, the welded joint is at least as strong as the metals joined. But there ore minuses to consider.

First, a brazed joint is a strong joint. A properly-made brazed joint (like a welded joint) will in many cases be as strong or stronger than the metals being joined.

Hmm, maybe your right. Looks like I got my wires crossed. Not read that site in so long. But none the less, brazing would suit the job in question. But it's better for weird shapes
My favorite idea is using PVC. Check out the PVC seats at the "Building your own Cockpit, Wheel etc... " section at RSC (http://forum.rscnet.org/forumdisplay.php?f=186). There are some great PVC racing seat frames there.

Hmm, I never get it right. Is it PVC or PCV? I know one is used for plumbing and the other is an emissions valve in the car, LOL. Hmmm, Polyvinyl Carbonate or Polycarbonate vinyl? Polycarbonate vinyl sounds right for saying it, but PVC sounds right using the acronym.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :If you're going to ask him to use grammar, maybe you should use English.

Sarcasm works too.
Quote from geeman1 :Sarcasm works too.

So it does. Though you can't really tell on the interweb. Which is why it gets you into so many problems D:
At least i can get a straight answer from sum 1.
Thanks tristancliffe im looking into it now.

race seat question
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG