The online racing simulator
Post your mac crashes
(53 posts, started )
Post your mac crashes
But that's Windows running on a Mac?

When a Mac crashes it doesn't tell you. You just get the spinning Beach Ball o' Death!
With bootcamp that screens easily possible ...

Anywho, having had a couple of Macs in the past, and fixing a few over the years too, I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like them. Its the computer equivalent of driving a Volvo 340.
#4 - JTbo
My Linux box has screen saver that has all kind of crashes from various machines, too bad there is no windows port from it or at least have not found
I never had any problems with my mac except when I first got it. Its an iBook G3. It would come up and everytime I would try to do something I got the spinning beachball. Then I got kernal panics on bootup, so I reloaded it and its fine.
Quote from JTbo :My Linux box has screen saver that has all kind of crashes from various machines, too bad there is no windows port from it or at least have not found

Oh cool! What's it called? I'm running Ubuntu
#7 - ajp71
I don't think my Mac has ever crashed

... my PC though :doh:
#8 - Krane
#9 - DeKo
the macs in school crash all the time, and give you the dreaded beach ball, but the teacher doesnt have a clue, and says that the wee restart button on the side would harm it, so ive to sit there and wait on this ****ing thing stopping spinning, which it obviously never does. Ive experienced a lot more mac crashes than i have windows, at least windows tells you whats wrong.
Quote from DeKo :the macs in school crash all the time, and give you the dreaded beach ball, but the teacher doesnt have a clue

eMacs on a bad network are a poor excuse for modern computers with a mighty 350mhz processor they take a few years to do anything.

Quote :
wee restart button on the side would harm it, so ive to sit there and wait on this ****ing thing stopping spinning, which it obviously never does.

Pressing ctrl + apple + power button does an instant restart saves you waiting
Problem with macs is that often the tech only knows pc's so effectivly does'nt have a clue.......

I maintain both & mac's crash less & being unix based ( OSX 10.0 - 10.4 ) if a session crashes then you can force quit ( apple q ) & all sorted.

Disk utility & repair permissions is a good option if a machine starts crashing & reset pram is another good trick ( apple option p r on startup ).

And also emac's have at minimum a 800mhz ( first edition ) and usually 1.2 mhz processor.
And as PC's are finally finding out processor speed has less effect than processor design. ( tried comparing identical speed Celeron & Pentium processors ? )

All computers crash, it's all part of chaos theory, the trick is to minimise the frequency & impact.

And Windoze still manages either the random reboot or BSoD better than anyone else.........
My iMac has never crashed in 6 months of ownership. Shoddy drivers used to make my Powerbook crash when I unplugged the ADSL modem, but otherwise that didn't crash either.

But then again, I rarely get crashes in Windows. If you don't do stupid things to/with your computer, it'll treat you well.

My Dad still uses a Macintosh SE as his "gaming" computer.
In the 1 and a half years that I've had a mac I only had a spinning beach ball of death once.
And to be honest, the crashed windows on a macbook says more about m$ then apple.
Quote from moeFinley :But that's Windows running on a Mac?

When a Mac crashes it doesn't tell you. You just get the spinning Beach Ball o' Death!

macs do have a similar screen (in function). it doesn't tell you what actually crashed though.

mac gray screen of death

that's not of my computer. my mac rarely crashes that big. typically the keyboard and mouse just stop working and you have to reboot.
Most Windows crashes are down to some badly written software that been installed. I have a Windows 2000 Server at work thats not been reset in 6 months with no problems - its had lots of SQL upgrades done, which pushes the hardware ... and its not unusual, the newer servers only need restarting when there's Windows Updates to put on.
Quote from JamesK :Most Windows crashes are down to some badly written software that been installed.

Very true, that doesn't change the fact that Unix based systems handle badly written software much more elegantly.

But anyways this post is stupid there's nothing interesting to capture when a Mac crashes and so this post is just turning OS bashing.

That said, LINUX RULES!
Quote from moeFinley :But anyways this post is stupid there's nothing interesting to capture when a Mac crashes...

yes there is (on occasion).

Quote from glyphon :macs do have a similar screen (in function). it doesn't tell you what actually crashed though.

mac gray screen of death

Quote from moeFinley :That said, LINUX RULES!

yeah, but AIX kicks its ass on mainframes

(HPUX is so/so, BSD wears NHS glasses )
Quote from glyphon :macs do have a similar screen (in function). it doesn't tell you what actually crashed though.

mac gray screen of death

that's not of my computer. my mac rarely crashes that big. typically the keyboard and mouse just stop working and you have to reboot.

Had no idea that screen existed
Quote from Racer X NZ :
And also emac's have at minimum a 800mhz ( first edition ) and usually 1.2 mhz processor.

Yes the slowest ones on my schools network are original iMacs with OsX, they'd were fine with 9 but they just had to waste money upgrading to an Os they weren't capable of running (reminds me of a certain new M$ Os ). The eMacs are better but they still seem to be hugely held back by the network speed.
Quote from JamesK :Most Windows crashes are down to some badly written software that been installed.

Yeah, it's usually some obese little prog called Windows ...

After a few years with my C64, my next two computers were Macs and they were a pleasure to use. They did crash here and there (so did the C64 ) but nowhere near as much as the PCs I've used at home and work do. The only real difficulties I had with my Macs were finding enough decent games for them (which was tough after being used to the huge C64 catalogue), hence my switch to a PC. I was able to customise it as a gaming box too, which is another thing I like about PCs. If I wasn't addicted to games I'd happily switch back though, but I can only afford one
Quote from Hankstar :Yeah, it's usually some obese little prog called Windows ...

Quote from JamesK :... I have a Windows 2000 Server at work thats not been reset in 6 months with no problems

Have you seen the size of Tiger, or a current Linux distro? Yes, Windows is terribly bloated, as are most all popular operating systems these days.

I never had problems with my C64 crashing, even when playing around with my old Action Replay ...
Well, most of my C64 games were *ahem* eye-patch versions (Fast Hack'Em ftw :tilt, which could have contributed to a freeze or two - not that they happened all that often anyway. Usually the problem was with those confounded datasette games

I haven't used Macs much in the last few years so I don't know how big Tiger is and I simply can't be arsed with Linux. So, I guess I'm stuck with chubby ol' XP for the moment (I really can't be arsed with Vista)
Quote from Hankstar :I simply can't be arsed with Linux

Linux is very easy to try out. You can run it off a 'Live CD' which will run the OS using just the CD and memory. You can download Ubuntu or get it sent to you completely free!

Put the CD in, restart your machine and you're in Linux. Take the CD out when you restart and your back to Windows.

I did this eight months ago and haven't looked back. But I except it isn't for everybody.
Yeah, Ubuntu is very Windows-like (ie. run it and go), with a Mac style security that stops you from doing anything too stupid. Very easy to get started, not so easy to live with if you're used to regular Linux ...

Post your mac crashes
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG