The online racing simulator
license removal for cheating?
(34 posts, started )
The cheater who everyone is discussing, was driving online with a cheat that made his car go faster. It's been done before and will be done again, nothing new there except that he found another new part of LFS that can be exploited in this way. We wrote to him and gave him the opportunity to explain how the cheat works, so we can add it to the cheat prevention system. He has refused to tell us the information and said he would prefer to be banned rather than tell us how his cheat works. Strangely, he still claims it's a proof of concept and is for our benefit - but does not support that opinion by telling us the information we need. So, he will be banned until he explains to us how the cheat works. Simple as that. By the way, the ban is only for 100 days anyway, it's not even a permanent ban.
Hi there Scawen, nice to read from you again :>

Now out of the Forums and go back coding! :P

*jk*
Well, it's sad he didn't wanted to cooperate.
Looks like he doesn't care that much about the simulator, eh?

Since that's that case (backed by his actions), you guys are pretty light on the "punishment".

If he doesn't like the simulator, well, why would he need a license to play it, right?
Just to make a mess?

That's unfortunate. People acting like that.
#29 - Woz
Quote from animal1313 :I have a problem with all license agreements, not just the one under debate here. The only acceptable restriction is the protection of original property (IE: can't steal the product, make copies, modify without permission, etc.)

Stating that I may use my own property in very specific circumstances else that property will be made to be less than what it was is more like Renting the product.

If you buy one of my TV's, can I set it up so that if you watch a show I don't like it will disable all but one channel? If you buy my car and drive in a way that I don't like, can I automatically have the transmission not shift out of first?

It should be up to the community to enforce regulations, not the seller of a product. What is mine is mine to use as I see fit.

(Again I want to emphasis that cheaters should be banned and that i am not an advocate for cheating.)

Actually buying good is covered in exactly the samee way. Here is an example that highlights real world example of a solid good that operates in the same way.

You buy a brand new car and take out the extended 5 years free service cover. You get the car home and the first thing you do is replace loads of engine parts to "performance" parts but then the engine goes bang. You take the car back to the garage to get fixed but they refuse because its your fault, you modified the car.

There are similar things to EULA on EVERYTHING you buy, software of otherwise. Buy anything and then use it in a way that it is NOT intended to be used then don't expect the makers/shop to replaceit if it busts.
As someone said earlier, you still have the software, it's the free access to the dev-owned and operated master server that's being revoked. Therefor it's like cheating in any online game and anyone who does it deserves all they get.
Quote from Dajmin :As someone said earlier, you still have the software, it's the free access to the dev-owned and operated master server that's being revoked. Therefor it's like cheating in any online game and anyone who does it deserves all they get.

Do you still have single player? Your computer needs to be able to go online in order to unlock cars and tracks if you reinstall the game for whatever reason.

Whatever, I think its really up to the community to police cheating. To expect the devs not only to produce the software, but also to police the online racing is just as infantile as the act of cheating. Honestly, some people round here treat the devs as a kind of father figure and its really bloody irritating.
Quote from nihil :Do you still have single player? Your computer needs to be able to go online in order to unlock cars and tracks if you reinstall the game for whatever reason.

As far as I know, as long as you've already unlocked the S2 content before your ban you'll be able to access them offline. Of course, if you don't know you've been banned and try to access it again, there's no reason it couldn't then revoke your license at the same time But there's no communication with the master server until you try to go into multiplayer mode.
#33 - Woz
Quote from nihil :Do you still have single player? Your computer needs to be able to go online in order to unlock cars and tracks if you reinstall the game for whatever reason.

Whatever, I think its really up to the community to police cheating. To expect the devs not only to produce the software, but also to police the online racing is just as infantile as the act of cheating. Honestly, some people round here treat the devs as a kind of father figure and its really bloody irritating.

The devs do need to police cheating because they need to update cheat detection and exploits of the system. The person in question found an exploit that allowed cheating online. The devs asked how and he claimed it was just proof of concept but then refused to hand over the details.

This is not your normal "act a prat" online situation. Keygets worked out far far more BUT shared info with the devs and never released or used his stuff online. This joker didn't and now he is captain sad without a licence

The banned moron can race offline where he does not effect others. All he had to do was hand over the info and he would still be racing. In my eyes, its just tough luck if he needs to unlock again but can't, he had his chance but threw it away. Simple and fair.
Quote from Scawen :So, he will be banned until he explains to us how the cheat works. Simple as that. By the way, the ban is only for 100 days anyway, it's not even a permanent ban.

So will this person's ban be lifted after 100 days if he still refuses to reveal the workings of his cheat?

license removal for cheating?
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG