The online racing simulator
#76 - JTbo
Quote from e2mustang :Test Drive Unlimited

I'm having bit trouble classifying that as a sim, even Outrun would be a sim then, I think

Sure it is rather nice for being arcade game, beats Need for speed games hands down, but calling it to a sim is bit too much, imo
Quote from JTbo :Sure it is rather nice for being arcade game, beats Need for speed games hands down, but calling it to a sim is bit too much, imo

Need for Speed 1 was pretty sim-ish. I played that to death ...
I think JTbo meant TDU beats the latest (everything released after NFS5) bling bling NFS games.
Ah yes, that makes sense ... I'm feeling like digging out NFS 1 now though, lol.
#80 - JTbo
Quote from JamesK :Ah yes, that makes sense ... I'm feeling like digging out NFS 1 now though, lol.

Well, Need for speed Porsche was best in series, imo. However that does not make it good yet, but that was at least fun at times, of course it is quite many years since I did play it so most likely TDU is better than that too

1nsane is one game I'm having bit problem to decide if that is a sim or game, it sure has better physics than any NFS, maybe even better than TDU? But is it still a sim as it was intended to be as fun arcade game?
As far as need for speed goes, the only ones i like are High Stakes (need for speed 4), and i really really liked the Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed.

I had the version for PS1, for a while, then lost it. GREAT and fun game. I have the computer version, but its a whole different game.
NFS3 Hot Pursuit FTW
#83 - S0ul
Quote from TiJay :NFS3 Hot Pursuit FTW

True!By fat the best game of the NFS series, followed by high stakes
Yep. The old NFS games were targeted more twards true enthusiasts, and people who love cars. The newer games are targeted more twards ricers, kids (imature ones, atleast), Fast and Furious fanboys, and people who simply use their car and whats done to it as a status symbal.

Underground, and the new games are really dumb. Underground 2 isnt too bad, with the selection of cars. And driving bone stock cars, on the mountain pass (touge) in that game, is actualy pretty fun with the DFP. However, driving any non stock car is really boring, and annoying, because its COMPLETLEY un realistic. Atleast driving bone stock cars in that game, it feels like driving a fully modded car in real life.

I didnt bother trying "Most Wanted", untill a few months ago when i was sick and bored. I played it a couple days, and got really bored with it, because it was just so dumb. Not even gunna bother trying carbon, or anything that follows.

They need to make more "realistic/sim" games, like GT4 and Enthusia. Well, GT4 is a big franchise, so theres gunna be more and more, but other than GT4, theres not really any other "good" games, other than Enthusia.
#85 - JTbo
Less chrome, more game. That is what is needed indeed.
When i was little, i was a die hard NFS fan. Now im a die hard LFS fan

Gran Turismo, and Enthusia are pretty much the only PS2 racing games i play, untill another simulation game comes out. Im sorry, but taking sharp turns at 200 mph, and being able to drive your car like its on rails, is simply not fun.

When im playing a car game, and i drive the car, i expect it to drive... well... like a car.

Anyone know of any other online racing games for the PC that are realistic?
In my opinion hte Need for speed games are just pure arcade.
I think the best physics award goes to Nascar Racing 2003, Racer Free car simulator, and Live for Speed. Toca Race Driver 3 in Pro-simulation mode wasn't bad but its more arcade.
well ye tdu isnt a sim game but it got good phisics as i played with it(all day-all night ) cant w8 till it comes
#90 - JTbo
Quote from e2mustang :well ye tdu isnt a sim game but it got good phisics as i played with it(all day-all night ) cant w8 till it comes

Mediorce physics at best, yes we all have played it, really physics are nothing special in it, very old games have better physics, like Viper racing
#91 - DeKo
i agree with jtbo. while it is actually a good game, and it is fun to drive a ford GT about hawaii, the physics arent exactly good. most cars handle pretty much the same, mostly, apart from the speed, and the motorbikes just plain sucks. its immense fun though when im in the mood for a bit of arcade.
Quote from DeKo :i agree with jtbo. while it is actually a good game, and it is fun to drive a ford GT about hawaii, the physics arent exactly good. most cars handle pretty much the same, mostly, apart from the speed, and the motorbikes just plain sucks. its immense fun though when im in the mood for a bit of arcade.

So Test Drive Unlimited is a good game? Is it able to be used with the force feedback? I think i might go out and rent that. I never really play those "arcade" racing games, but you guys make it sound really good.
yeah, its a pretty fun game. i've only played the pc version... it stuttered like hell. hopefully the full version runs smoothly on my pc.
#94 - JTbo
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :So Test Drive Unlimited is a good game? Is it able to be used with the force feedback? I think i might go out and rent that. I never really play those "arcade" racing games, but you guys make it sound really good.

I guess you are getting it to PC?

Well, it is something like Grand Turismo, it has 2wd and 4wd that works something bit like car and it has pretty good feel in terms of speed is putting car out of control, but surely 150kph is just like cruising and tires are made of some weird plastic, it had ton of bugs but perhaps they managed to fix them to release.

Some of sounds are really bad, lighting is odd, AI stupid and there is more bugs.

Metallic paints do look pretty and Lambo sounds good and is quite enjoyable to drive when you take account that it is arcade game. Also driving in forest is quite nice, tall grass and lot of good looking trees.

Force feedback worked ok and felt enough good for such game with my dfp at least, however had to adjust controls quite a lot and turn all helps off to be able to enjoy even a bit.

It has lot of annoyances however, AI cars at races wait you or drive faster depending how you drive. Looking to sides is utterly slow, something really stupid, you look time from calender when guy turns head. Also there is turn look that you can't disable. Cops are stupid, if you drive out from road they don't follow, also if you go to woods your cop o meter still remains same so can't wait until they get tired, however park to side road and soon no cops anymore. They are quite stupid in every other means, are really not a threat, only on bridges they are problem if they make road block, those are easy to go around when on normal roads.
Game is really heavy, you need very good computer to play it.

Small curvy mountain roads are bit rough, they had 10 meter pieces of road that they did use to make those roads, on other roads those small bumps are however good thing.

There is quite many missions and lot of roads, so at least week of playing in single player and then racing online, however I really fail to see what is point of online racing as there is no good physics and other racers are probably kids that have never heard about apex or throttle control.

If there is no bugs it is worth to get, so maybe better to wait few months until they have really fixed as they did decide to release with some bugs in, nobody knows which bugs are left in however.
the car handling is very arcadey. more realistic than ridge racer, but not as realistic as gran turismo
#96 - JTbo
Quote from Gabkicks :the car handling is very arcadey. more realistic than ridge racer, but not as realistic as gran turismo

Depends how highly one values gran turismo, it has just more sliding ability but otherwise those are rather same, both are full arcade without sense of realism, imo. However that does not make them bad.

Sliding is something to avoid in TDU, it is biggest flaw, you really can't slide too well, except with Lambo you can slide a bit and C3 Vette had some ability, but mostly sliding = spinning, worse that ISI tires in that matter, lot worse.
Does TDU support 900 degrees of rotation? And does the driver turn the in-game wheel to 900 if your DFP is set to that?
#98 - JTbo
Quote from TiJay :Does TDU support 900 degrees of rotation? And does the driver turn the in-game wheel to 900 if your DFP is set to that?

What game does not support 900 degrees? Surely every game supports that as it is what you set from Windows and game uses that.

I don't think that in game steering wheel is any way linked to amount of degrees, but I tend to ignore in game steering wheel anyway as I look out from window and in case of TDU only playable view is nose cam as that is only one where camera don't wonder with steering.
So i take it that this game is only avaliable for PC? I woulda rented it for PS2.

Anyways, its amazing how some people here think of GT4 as a game with Need for speed physics, and others think its the same as real life.

Sure, its not the MOST realistic game ever, but its still pretty damn good. Compared to enthusia, they are the about the same, but when you take ALL driving aids off on both (ESM, TCS, etc.), then enthusia wins for being more realistic.

Anyways, does anyone know of any other online SIMULATION games for the PC?
nK Pro, rTractor, i mean rFactor, GTR2, GTL, RACE, RBR

Although tbh their their all a bit rubish (imho) except for RBR

which car racing game has the best physics
(132 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG