The online racing simulator

Poll : What do you want soonest?

Physics Updates
New Track / New Track Variants
New Car / More Car Variants
Graphical Updates (Cars/Tracks)
General Updates (GUI, Gameplay, etc.)
AI Updates
I want a new track, with many variants. One of them (or more) with no tarmack at all. More cars will be fantastic: WRC and WTCC class
Voted for a new track but better sounds should be 1st priority atm.. The RA sounded so good (not that good, but good as acceptable good, not awesome) in pre U30 and now in V even with the engine tweak it is just plain awful. Where is the low rev grunt and hi-rev scream... Luckily better sounds and new tracks can be done at the same time
What seems sure to me is that physics being the strong point of the game doesn't mean only develop them and nothing else. This is the leading path to a very unbalanced game (i.e. any console racing game; awesome graphics but crappy physics).

Also, as far as I know, a drifting track in LFS (or in fact anything espeically made for drift) DOESN'T exist. What I mean is that the game is made for people who primairly want to race with grip. The drifters can still drift, I don't care, but nothing was ever said about making drifting track or drifting cars; just use what's there.

Physics still need to be updated, but since LFS is a bit behind on what is possible to do on a lot of other points, they'd need to be updated first. It's all about balance.
#54 - joen
Quote from boosterfire :What seems sure to me is that physics being the strong point of the game doesn't mean only develop them and nothing else. This is the leading path to a very unbalanced game (i.e. any console racing game; awesome graphics but crappy physics).

Well, as you can see in this poll, and by reading the posts of most people around here they consider the physics the most important aspect of the sim. And that's what in the end the judgment of any sim will be based upon primarily.
Remember LFS is a long term project. Where the big companies would first complete development (half assed) and then release, LFS basically gives people a glimpse of what it will be in the end.
Noone ever said that nothing else besides the physics will be developed. But physics get first priority as that is the heart and soul of the sim. And I think that's the most time effective way to go as well. Take for instance the interior updates for the GTR cars. A cosmetic change upon first thought, yet those can only be introduced in an incompatible patch as they affect other aspects as well.
So it's really not a matter of choosing between things, but when to do them.
Yes, of course, i'm not saying that physics are not important, or that it's better to develop something else than them. I'm just saying that you can't develop the physics and nothing else for a while, say to make the physics perfect without going somewhere else too.

Remember that Scawen is not alone. It's true that you can't release a patch with cosmetic changes only, as there are other things affected by them, but you can't also release a physics only patch, or let's say patches without eventually having something else. They've got to work in cimbiose as they've got different things to do.

And it's what we've seen in the past; remember the bmw f1 patch, correcting some physics and cosmetic changes too.
#56 - joen
Well, if I have understood the dev's global planning correctly, the focus in S2 is on the physics, and S3 will mainly be a cosmetic and content/features update. So basically they want to complete the basic physics in S2. Although if stuff like weather and track temperatures will be introduced in S3 that will take some physics improvements as well (I guess).
Can I change my answer to the DP1?
Quote from Gimpster :Can I change my answer to the DP1?

DP1 would be a New Car. Which is what I look forward to most! The devs really upped their game (figuratively & literally) with the F1 car addition. Aside from the brilliant timing (right when the NetKar game was released) it was really well modelled and showed previously unseen (IMO) levels of detail. I'm not going to hold my breath as these things take time.

Anyway, I'm sure the devs have their own lists of what they feel LFS needs most, and are working away at it. Bravo to them!
More cars. No more F1 cars.
#60 - ev0
You need a "none" option in the poll.

I'd like to see more people on the servers, enjoying what we already have from this great product, instead of spending so much of their time complaining and asking for more, but thats just my opinion.

/me ducks to get out of the way of stuff flying towards my head
You left out flaming trash cans.
Dude...
Physics !!!
as long as you can go over 250km/h with a bent front wing or rear wing, the physics is the top issue...
I'd like to see the people abusing the "OFF: Cut Throttle On Upshift" get this fixed.

Yes, the no CTOU is a little faster, but I feel it detracts from the game +++. Unrealistic. Its there for people with clutch pedal, not for everybody else...
I voted more cars, but now i think of it, the impact of crashing into some objects could be more realistic so i should have voted physics
Quote from marzman :I voted more cars, but now i think of it, the impact of crashing into some objects could be more realistic so i should have voted physics

I understand that some of the crashing is a bit out of control, but when you think about the scope of lfs, crashing should be fairly low on the list.
Quote from srdsprinter :I understand that some of the crashing is a bit out of control, but when you think about the scope of lfs, crashing should be fairly low on the list.

20 cars, reverse grid, all aiming at the same first corner - and realistic contact between cars should be low on the list? It's not simply about major collisions, it's a big problem with any form of contact.
Quote from srdsprinter :I'd like to see the people abusing the "OFF: Cut Throttle On Upshift" get this fixed.

Yes, the no CTOU is a little faster, but I feel it detracts from the game +++. Unrealistic. Its there for people with clutch pedal, not for everybody else...

It's definitely a problem, but I think that downshifting is even more of a problem. Most of the fast drivers in LFS don't use the brakes to slow down, they use the gears. If you drove in real life like most of the WR laps are driven, you'd never complete a lap because the engine would blow up in the first braking zone.
Quote from Blowtus :20 cars, reverse grid, all aiming at the same first corner - and realistic contact between cars should be low on the list? It's not simply about major collisions, it's a big problem with any form of contact.

True, I didn't think about the car-to-car contact, I was thinking along the lines of the Cops N Robbers servers where the contact with the barriers sends the driver pirouetting (sp?) skywards.

Agreed then, it is a problem. Car-to-car contact definately isn't as bad though, cept when cars get 'stuck' and launch off one another.
Quote from Cue-Ball :It's definitely a problem, but I think that downshifting is even more of a problem. Most of the fast drivers in LFS don't use the brakes to slow down, they use the gears. If you drove in real life like most of the WR laps are driven, you'd never complete a lap because the engine would blow up in the first braking zone.

Yeah, the overly aggressive engine brakeing without engine breaking is unrealistic. I'd say thats more of a WR problem, but it definately affects users in pickup and series races as well.

I really just hate the thought of driving along with every shift soaring out way way past the redline.
Quote from Blowtus :20 cars, reverse grid, all aiming at the same first corner - and realistic contact between cars should be low on the list? It's not simply about major collisions, it's a big problem with any form of contact.

I don't see much fault in the current collision in LFS, it's the lag that causes the 'weird' happenings.

If you're racing with a group of mates who stays real close to you, you'd be surprised at how close the racing can get without cars flying. You can rub, slightly push, lil bumps, its all fine.
Quote from StanleyCarter :I don't see much fault in the current collision in LFS, it's the lag that causes the 'weird' happenings.

If you're racing with a group of mates who stays real close to you, you'd be surprised at how close the racing can get without cars flying. You can rub, slightly push, lil bumps, its all fine.

True, it seems to be more of a matter of having the right group of racers rather than the actual contact probs.

Lag when 2 cars occupy the same place causes some problems it seems. Sometimes collisions seem to be very realistic, others, not so much...

Edit, I like your avtar, whats the symbol mean?
The LFS moonflights have been discussed before and as far as I have understood it is all about lag. It does not mean that the problem exists only in multiplayer, it is all down to the collision between objects and the "lag" caused by the steps between physics calculations. LFS physics run 100Hz and tires at 2000Hz so there is always lag of 1/100 or 1/2000 seconds. This equals to maximum distances of 0,42m or 0,021m with a velocity of 150kph, for example. It means that before any calculations of the body contact is being calculated, the objects have already inside each others. Add online lag to the equations and the distances get "slightly" bigger

I have no idea how you code a system that can handle this but I can see two options. One that tries to estimate and "see" the possible collisions before they even happen. Or another one that simply reacts to the collisions that have already happened. Or both, I guess
Slots management ASAP.

Ability to set a limit for spectator slots
Reserved slots for admins

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG