The online racing simulator
'Noob' League for the inexperienced.
(20 posts, started )
Hi

I am toying with the idea of arranging a noob league (I don't mean noob in a derogatory fashion, I merely mean those lacking experience/speed). Quite how I will classify what a 'noob' is is tricky, but the aim is to get people of similar levels of experience to race together. I will have a bit of a chat with various people tonight about it, and have a look at LFSW to see how we can ensure that experienced players do not enter.

Please feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas, or just questions.

If this league went ahead (which is no way guaranteed) then it would be limited to 20 people (I don't have time to arrange two races per event for 40 people). Please discuss, and show your interest in this thread.

Thanks,

Tristan
noob racing
Well i wold say it sounds good. Help the new ppl get better and have fun insted of being baned from server after server. Maybe get some ppl who know what it takes to race to help thes new ppl get good. u know thay wold tell ppl how thay did tell them how thay can get better dont call it a noob league tho call it the LFS training League if u want help pm me i can creat the site and the baner maybe
a newbie only league is almost impossible, as it would be almost impossible to control who is too fast for the league and who would fit in

but open leagues that encourage new/slowe-spare-time drivers to sign in are very rare. most of the leagues accept a certain number of drivers and the slower ones won't qualify or set a maximum time limit (like the 107% from the WR or from the fastest qualifyer) to sort out the slower ones

open leagues like the OLFSL that use a pool system to encourage slower drivers to race and group them with others of near-equal strength would be the right way to go in my eyes.

easy to say but hard to do, i know... the bigger a league gets, the mor it costs (server wise because of numerous races - and also time wise because of the workload to keep the league running)
Quite a good Idea : even if I try to drive as cleanly as possible, it's not fun and dangerous to mix too much levels. Quick driver should think I'm a sooo SLOW whereas I wonder how they can go that speed (I'm pretty sure they should use modified part even if I know it is impossible)
Would be great to have the opportunity to take part to a league with person going more than 1'30 per lap on BL with XRT...
If too much people apply, I propose to take the middle : say 22 people would like to take part, leave a week of free practice on a server and disqualify the quickest (he's not n00b any more) and the slowest (he has to practise more to take part)
I really would enjoy taking part, if scheduling and my driving skills comply
Like I said, I'm just putting a toe-in-the-water to see what people think. I think it would be VERY hard to arrange so that it's fair, and as said there are already a number of leagues that are happy to cater for noobs.

Unless I get some positive posts on this subject (or more positive ones :P) then I think the option is clear - join an existing league.
hm you can bet on me joining the league if it will be set up and the race times will fit into my off-track-life

i'm not a newbie but one of the 'spare-time-drivers' or as you would probably call them in FIA-GT 'gentleman-drivers' - not fast and not very competitive but driving (or racing if you make the word not depending on speed *g*) with my heart

this is one of the reasons, why a 'newbie' league is so hard to arrange - guys like me and some others i met have a certain ammount of milage - much more than some sim-racing pros that mainly race GTR or NR2003 or F1C and the only miles they drive online at LfS are some exclusive league/event races

these guys would classify as newbies (based on their lapcount) but would outclass the whole field - but the guys like me and some others would fit in there regarding speed and skill level...

so where would someone draw the line?

and a 'league for slow people' always brings the problem, that you can qualify much slower than your limits may be - just to win the races afterwards....

and not letting the top5 of each race start in the next one is also the wrong way in my eyes, since you get 'fined' for good driving
Hi all,

I am just searching the forum for servers where mostly noobs are racing to have also the possiblity to get some racing experience and not only driving behind the field.

I think such a "NOOB" League would be very interesting for a lot of people, but I agree also that is not so easy to handle the rules

Erik
#8 - Vain
Good idea.
Perhaps you could use the pb-times from LFSW for measurement of the league-quali-times? An LFS-veteran will already have nice times on LFSW. A less experienced person will have worse times online.
All-in-all: Great idea!

Vain
i guess i have to say it again

try the OLFSL (www.lfs-league.com) which has different start grids for the drivers and slower ones will only drive against other slow drivers, while the fastest guys drive against the fast ones

very beginner friendly and the car selection does also leave out the 2 or 3 hardest to control cars
I would be interested , and can confirm i am a n00b in every sense of the word , staying on the track is a major achievement atm
hey, Me and other guys have now a noob league, but only for spanish talkers . I think there is a pretty good idea, and i also think that the most important stuff in this is a very working person who take the matter seriously. I mean, the stadistics of a league is a hard work, even if there are few players xD and the matter of whos is considered to be a noob is very simple, look at their statics in lfs world
Hardly anyone supports the demo for leagues or anything else really, playing the S2 full version is where the fun is at
I'm thinking of starting an 'Old-Gits-Racing-Extremely-Slowly' league, or OGRES. Wonder if there are any takers out there?
well if it'll be a not-very-quick to pretty-slow league, i guess i would be interested..

now you'll only have to tell us, who would qualify as old git
Quote from DasKlee :now you'll only have to tell us, who would qualify as old git

This is basically a self-qualification task, which entails you monitoring how you feel at 7:30am on a sunday morning, after a night of 3 too many drinks
Quote from tristancliffe :Hi

I am toying with the idea of arranging a noob league (I don't mean noob in a derogatory fashion, I merely mean those lacking experience/speed). Quite how I will classify what a 'noob' is is tricky, but the aim is to get people of similar levels of experience to race together. I will have a bit of a chat with various people tonight about it, and have a look at LFSW to see how we can ensure that experienced players do not enter.

Please feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas, or just questions.

If this league went ahead (which is no way guaranteed) then it would be limited to 20 people (I don't have time to arrange two races per event for 40 people). Please discuss, and show your interest in this thread.

Thanks,

Tristan

As a n00b (), I would be interested too... But I have to agree, finding people with almost the same level of driving (or at least trying ), would be extremely difficult... Nonetheless, I would participate, if it fits to my schedule...
Old Gits
Al Heeley

You Called ??

I'm up for that

I'm old (36), i'm extremely slow, my best result online is 2nd......(erm....in a race of two)

And as far as 3 too many, I'm like that after just 3 !

How about a race where you can only use LFS default setups for the cars, not sure how that would be possible, but if it were, at least we'd have some sort of a level playing field.

If there is an Old Gits Team i'd be interested in joining (if only to make up the numbers).

Mazz
Quote from al heeley :I'm thinking of starting an 'Old-Gits-Racing-Extremely-Slowly' league, or OGRES. Wonder if there are any takers out there?

I've often thought a 30+ server would be cool, it wouldnt let u join unless ur 30 yrs old or more lol
Well, doesn't this sound cool, i'm new (to S2) I can play the game and I class myself as a newbie, why not?

If you could get even basic ideas of cars and tracks for this event then I will most surely enter.

If it's the GTi's though I would do it on any track apart from BW as that's all I done for about 3 weeks before S2 and got pretty good at it (Mid 1.32's) and was allways commented on how hard I was to pass which brought a smile to my face xD

I would like to do this and as i'm still a keyboarder i'm not going to get that fast in the not to distant future (But i'm starting to win the formula f3 races somehow) But in a week or too I will have my new wheel and it will take time to get used to that.

So after my life story I just gave I will end with I think it's a great idea and I hope it goes ahead as i've only raced online, no events or anything.

Ragrds,

Ray
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Bawbag :If it's the GTi's though I would do it on any track apart from BW as that's all I done for about 3 weeks before S2 and got pretty good at it (Mid 1.32's) and was allways commented on how hard I was to pass which brought a smile to my face xD

In addition perhaps fast & long tracks such as variations of Aston & Kyoto could be left out as they haven't got enough curves and way too much driving in a straight line to be particularly exciting. When it comes to the slower cars, short & sweet is exactly what it means :P

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG