The online racing simulator

Poll : Do you want to remove the post count?

Yes
No
Take a look here : http://www.lfsforum.net/member ... &sort=posts&pp=30

Notice how out of the top 5 posters, they all refer to Jaffa cakes in their biography?

CONSPIRACY I THINK NOT!

People have started to use the forum like a chat room, posting stupid and worthless threads to feel like they've contributed to the community. illepall
I pressed "yes" accidentally :doh: . Look at these forums btw:
forums.facepunchstudios.com
I used this forum a lot half a year ago, but I don't really like the people there, but check it out: there are some funny rating/rep systems there, like Smartness for example Delete the link if you consider it an ad.
I don't think it would change anything TBH Immature people will still want to be noticed and the same people will still post more "crap" than most people would.

So true
maybe it should be replaced with an IQ test, or how many volts you can withstand before death.
I've got jaffa cakes in my sig

I'm in doubt about that feedback system, childish people might keep giving bad feedback. And I'm scared I would get bad feedback, I prefer getting accused of spam than actually having it written under my name

I say keep the post counter!

Oh wait, I removed the jaffa cakes... Maybe that's why I'm dropping down the list!
Quote from Funnycat :I pressed "yes" accidentally :doh: .

Moved a vote from "yes" to "no" accordingly.
It's just a meaningless number, isn't it?
Quote from keithano :It's just a meaningless number, isn't it?

Yes, but some people seem quite attached to it, for some reason.
Quote from Jakg :on another website (Overclock.net) ive seen it used VERY well, people really strive to help people to get more Rep

And I've seen forums where it had a desastrous effect: Friends kept giving each other positive points even for year-old posts while they were giving "revenge rep" for a bad point one of them got...
Quote from Dajmin :I like the post count. It's good for establishing how involved people are with what's happening in the community. It's also good for when someone asks either a stupid question or one that's been answered before - you can tell they've not been around much and might not have even used a forum before.

Join date doesn't help this because accounts are created and often never used for forum access.

It's also good if you want to ask someone a question in a PM. The best way to try and get a response is to PM someone with a high post count, since they're obviously around a lot and willing to communicate.

So obviously I voted to keep the counts.

I agree with that. However, i havent seen it on this forum yet, but on other forums i definatley have. Some younger members (funny, hearing this from a 14 year old), like to post as much as they possibly can, without actualy contributing to anything, just to raise their post count.

People will recognize you then as the kid who makes a bunch of useless posts, just to raise his post count. Whats so respectable about that?
Quote from Rooble :People have started to use the forum like a chat room, posting stupid and worthless threads to feel like they've contributed to the community. illepall

Yes, I've noticed that. A lot more Off Topic threads these days, which is a bit sad if you ask me.
Just hope you're not referring to me
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :(funny, hearing this from a 14 year old)

No problem with that. I happen to fly MS9 with a 14 year old and until you heard him on TS, you would never guess he was 14. Very much the same around here. There are quite a few mature youngsters about. Just wanted to say that since you are admitting to the age .

I don't believe post count should be removed. The majority of the comments about the 2 leaders and the rest at the top of the list in post counts are only friendly bantering.

As for people who post just to get their post counts up, it seems that this group is just very well moderated by both the actual moderators and the normal community itself. I doesn't seem that many spammers get away with it for very long before a mod or someone steps in to put a stop to it.

Now, hypothetically I'm new and I have a question. I ask my question and get two conflicting results. Which result do I go with? With post count showing, I see that one responded that happens to have a high post count and his reply sounds very reasonable. The other reply is from someone with 5 posts. I'm going to guess that he is just as new as I am, thus I will go with the other guys suggestion.
+1, Then Jakg will have no meaning anymore
#42 - Jakg
Thanks!

I wouldnt mind if an admin re-jigged my post count so all my posts stayed, but my post count dropped down to 1,000!
why not zero
#44 - Jakg
because by having a post count bigger than 100 you do seem to get more respect for no aparent reason
Quote from djgizmo68 :+1, Then Jakg will have no meaning anymore

Actually if we can get rid of Jakg...

and I wanted my 3000th post to be a friendly helpful, informative and useful one :doh:

Nevermind
Quote from ajp71 :Actually if we can get rid of Jakg...

and I wanted my 3000th post to be a friendly helpful, informative and useful one :doh:

Nevermind

well, it was a suggestful one
My vote put a certain option into the lead
Quote from Serpentine :Yes, but some people seem quite attached to it, for some reason.

They should have no life then...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG