The online racing simulator
Wacky F1 cars
(83 posts, started )
#1 - aoun
Wacky F1 cars
There have been some pretty wacky car designs.. the one ill never forget is the ...... tyrell? i think =S with the 6 wheels ..

But, is there others that are wacky? or just out of the box? Show some pics etc =)
I don't know what else pushed the limits of design for an F1 car. The era when wings were becoming popular was strange, but it's not necessarily wacky like the Tyrell.

Only thing else strange/wacky are the 2 & 3 seater F1 cars used for training.

Or possibly the Brabhams that tried to use the jet suction design like on the Chapparals -- http://www.f1-grandprix.com/photos/78brab-sweden.jpg ("fan car"). Its design was made for sucking the car to the ground, even though the team said it was for cooling, it was banned immediately.

Ooh and can't forget Eifelland -- http://f1rejects.com/teams/eifelland/picture-gallery.html
1968 Brabham

1978 McLaren

1977 March Sixwheeler

1983 Tyrrell

1979 Arrows

1974 McLaren

1982 Williams Sixwheeler

1983 Tyrrell

Theres a few for you!!!!
#5 - JJ72
Quote from Tweaker :
Ooh and can't forget Eifelland -- http://f1rejects.com/teams/eifelland/picture-gallery.html

It's legendary, designed by Luigi Colani, who is a pioneer in terms of the combination in aerodynamics and asthestics, he did some pretty crazy concept cars back then, which does not always work in engineering terms

His wing car concept back then was quite revolutionary, basically it's a wing on wheels....I have a old book on his works, brilliant.

Does anyone know for sure is this actual wing design or is it just broken? I'd guess broken... but funny anyways. I've seen in videos where some drivers just went to the pits, mechanics literally violently ripped off the broken wing and then driver continued racing... without the wing.
Has to be broken, that was the era when the wings were just two flat planks. And that beeing what looks like Monaco, it is likely it is damaged
#9 - Gunn
Best pic I have of the P34 and a piccy of those funny raised wings.
Attached images
Tyrell-P34.jpg
231158.jpg
Some very interesting photos in this thread.
#12 - Gunn
A couple more interesting design features..
Attached images
2233672.jpg
2233694.jpg
2233695.jpg
2233702.jpg
#13 - DeKo
have you got a link to more of those type of image gunn? some of them make incredible wallpapers
#14 - Gunn
Quote from DeKo :have you got a link to more of those type of image gunn? some of them make incredible wallpapers

No link sorry, these are very old and I can't remember the sites they originated from. But all came from the public domain so I suppose there is a chance that they are still out there. Quality old Grand Prix and F1 images are hard to find online but you can buy excellent collections of the original real photos online if you search. Some cool stuff available out there from sports photographers and enthusiasts.
who said audi made the first compact 4wd system?

this is a porsche 360 from 1948!

and this is a cosworth 4wd f1 car not sure if it ever raced? (i think they changed the rules to stop it)

both cars are at the donington grand prix collection
It's hard to believe that they put real, live humans in some of these terrifying contraptions!
Quote from deggis :

Does anyone know for sure is this actual wing design or is it just broken? I'd guess broken... but funny anyways. I've seen in videos where some drivers just went to the pits, mechanics literally violently ripped off the broken wing and then driver continued racing... without the wing.

Quote from Tweaker :Has to be broken, that was the era when the wings were just two flat planks. And that beeing what looks like Monaco, it is likely it is damaged

Its Montjuic Park.

Quote from andybarsblade :and this is a cosworth 4wd f1 car not sure if it ever raced? (i think they changed the rules to stop it)

both cars are at the donington grand prix collection

Its a car meant for Indianapolis IIRC
Quote from Sternendaal :
Its a car meant for Indianapolis IIRC

strange to have a car thats meant for an american race series in a "grand prix" collection dont you think? im sure it was f1
Quote from r4ptor :Is that an air intake, or entrance to a cave?

Somehow it reminds me of Futurama but I don't know why
Quote from r4ptor :Is that an air intake, or entrance to a cave?

I think it's a ghost! :ghostie:
Great photos. I remember seeing those six wheeled cars before. What was the idea behind these cars?
Where both rear sets of wheels powered? what kind of crazy heavy differential would have been used there? Did the extra weight on these cars not immediately outweigh any performance increase for the extra wheels.

Bear in mind I'm no engineer

Wacky F1 cars
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG