The online racing simulator
LFS: Is getting old?
(125 posts, started )
#76 - Nard
nothing stops you from doing your own modeling for car interiors and texture em yourself. Some people can do it.

Only difference is, no one cares about your custom interior, so does it really matter in the end? It'll only appear on your computer, so all that modeling work would be wasted time.

LFS is a semi-sim. Race car interiors should look like race car interiors, and road cars should have road car interiors.
Quote from Nard :Race car interiors should look like race car interiors, and road cars should have road car interiors.

This might be a truism, but I guess it has to be said every once in a while . I agree wholehartedly and am waiting for the next incomp patch to finally see the GTR-interiors fixed.
#78 - Vain
Quote from Nard :LFS is a semi-sim. Race car interiors should look like race car interiors, and road cars should have road car interiors.

Depends on what you call "road car". You're not allowed to race anything without a proper cage in it. Without the hooks and stickers you're not allowed to enter the track. The car must also have quick-open clamps on all hoods and an external fuel pump switch. In the interior you need the same switch and at least one fire extinguisher. Engine-bay extinguishing systems are also demanded in many series.
And yes, that applies to your Golf Mk II as well as the 700hp Aalzen Porsche.
* In germany.

And why LFS drivers are taking the backseats and carpets with them is absolutely beyond me. It's free acceleration! Takes 30 minutes to remove.

Vain
#79 - joen
Quote from Nard :nothing stops you from doing your own modeling for car interiors and texture em yourself. Some people can do it.

Only difference is, no one cares about your custom interior, so does it really matter in the end? It'll only appear on your computer, so all that modeling work would be wasted time.

LFS is a semi-sim. Race car interiors should look like race car interiors, and road cars should have road car interiors.

While I agree with you that the race car interiors should look like race car interiors (and they will do, very likely in the next patch), declaring LFS a semi-sim just because of that is just silly.
The physics are ofcourse what makes it a sim and not the interiors or any graphic element for that matter.
And making custom interiors yourself has got nothing to do with modelling, just slapping on some textures. In order to make real race car interiors Eric will have to remodel them.
#80 - JTbo
LFS has many road cars, those are just normal cars you use everyday.
Safety rules don't apply with sim, as so far at least you will not get hurt even you wreck your car in accident (well, you can't wreck your car very badly in accident with LFS either).

Here is little video, no roll cage, nothing except helmet on my head, just normal 19 years old 100hp street car, sorry about exhaust banging to rear axle and that I forgot camera bit zoomed, kills feel of speed rather well.
#81 - Vain
I assume that's not racing.
Safety rules only apply when it's a competitive session.
I did drive myself on a track with my normal unprepared car, when I did the qualification-event for my racing license.

If safety rules apply to the 'race cars' in LFS then they also apply to the 'road cars', because there really isn't a difference between those two.

Vain
I don't care if LFS is "old". I have only been playing LFS for a week and I must say that I am quite impressed. I just switched over from GT: Legends (uninstalled now) and I will take LFS's gameplay and its multitude of customization options/tweaks over GT: Legend's eye candy any day of the week! For me, the only reason I was such a latecomer to LFS was the lack of "real name" car licenses. Now, I could really car less. The biggest thing that attracted me was the total lack of lag in LFS. I prefer to race almost exclusively online. Being in the states, I have found that a good majority of racers in most racing games are in Europe. When I race GTL and GTR online, my FPS drops down to almost unplayable levels at times. In LFS, there is occasionally a small hiccup..and it doesn't even have a noticeable effect on gameplay. I don't even want to mention the PITA that occurs everytime I try to get online through their third party menus. LFS...no problem. I am officially hooked.
#83 - Gizz
PlusP....... great post and welcome to the family
Thanks Gizz. Looks like I am here to stay. I already talked a friend at work into buying the game and a decent wheel and I am gonna try to get some of my Joint Operations squad members to get in on LFS too. My squad leader is a graphic design artist (in the UK) and I think he would do exceptionally well at skinning. He is great at modding/skinning/sounds/etc.
It's good to see more people Stateside joining the LFS community. It'd be nice to see that mid-day (CET) population drop disappear and of course it'd give more people more servers to choose from.
Welcome aboard!
#86 - Gizz
Quote from PlusP :Thanks Gizz. Looks like I am here to stay. I already talked a friend at work into buying the game and a decent wheel and I am gonna try to get some of my Joint Operations squad members to get in on LFS too. My squad leader is a graphic design artist (in the UK) and I think he would do exceptionally well at skinning. He is great at modding/skinning/sounds/etc.

even better mate the more drivers we get in here the better for all round, and i agree 100% dajmin, it would be grate to see that miday drop gone for ever, many a time ive thrown a sickie from work only to find the servers are near empty ... i never thought i would say this but we need more americans

ya know we should think about launching our own publicty programes and really get this game rocking
Highly unlikey they'll drop the price - it's only expensive because your economy is collapsing under it's own weight (or weak dollar as it's known).

And it'll be a couple of years yet before we see official S3 related posts/news.
and have the yanks shoot us down ?? :eek:
Nah, they can't. They're all in Irak at the moment .
Quote from tristancliffe :your economy is collapsing under it's own weight (or weak dollar as it's known).

lol, if Hillary Clinton gets elected in 2008 it will be alot worse. When I'm out of high school (2009), I'm moving to canada...
Quote from hrtburnout :Nah, they can't. They're all in Irak at the moment .

All the civilians have lots of guns too, don't forget.
Atm, it's actually more likey that the US of A will claim GB as a colony than the other way around -- But if you brits can avoid that until Hillary is elected, you should be safe, I guess .
Quote from BWX232 :All the civilians have lots of guns too, don't forget.

Yeah but if they're anything like Dick Cheney that will just make things easier.
Yes LFS is getting old.
Quote from collinss :Yes LFS is getting old.

I agree, by the time I am finished typing this LFS will be 30 seconds older... lol.

But, LFS is not getting boring to me. Every time I get play a different game, I get bored of that and go back to LFS!
Quote from al heeley :Name an online racing/driving game better than LFS?
Where are all these great new racing games that drive us all away from LFS?
Not come across any yet.

rfactor

i love lfs, but i prefer rfactor simply because it feels more real, the graphics are immense and you can play with so many mods which just jkeep coming and rolling in, which are real. also playing on the worlds greatest circuits.

i think lfs nees to break away from being all fantasy stuff. apart from the BF1 which is a step in the right direction.

but i love both, but i play rfactor more as i personally prefer.
Quote from kieran20 :but i prefer rfactor simply because it feels more real

I don't know what you meen by REAL there.
I just can't get the hang of it, every car feel so dull, i don't get any information from the steering wheel, the Force Feedback in ISI could aswell be called "Vibration" because i really don't get any FEEDback, just some vibrations..
Quote from Boris Lozac :I don't know what you meen by REAL there.
I just can't get the hang of it, every car feel so dull, i don't get any information from the steering wheel, the Force Feedback in ISI could aswell be called "Vibration" because i really don't get any FEEDback, just some vibrations..

it looks more real then, and yes force feedback is everyones compliaint about rfactor which they are working on apparently.

in rfactor it looks better, and sounds better, and i personally think the physics are better too.
Quote from kieran20 :in rfactor it looks better, and sounds better, and i personally think the physics are better too.

Graphics & sound are subjective, but physics are not... And it's essentially empirically proven that the slip curves & tire behaviour ISI uses are nowhere even close to those found in reality. However you're of course entitled to think what you wish

start the timer
BBTurbo: You meant "light the fuse" didn't you? ;]

LFS: Is getting old?
(125 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG