The online racing simulator
Master Server Down [ now sorted ]
(73 posts, closed, started )
The master server is still down for me, the master server hasnt been right for abit now, for me anyway.
That screenshot of the list of games available is done a couple of minutes ago...
You could try typing "ipconfig /flushdns" into start>run on XP machines to clear the local DNS cache.
Quote from Bean0 :You could try typing "ipconfig /flushdns" into start>run on XP machines to clear the local DNS cache.

Done and still working the list for me...

... the truth is out there?
Perfect, I updated to Patch V and its all working nicely, cheers.
Quote from Scawen :By the way, version U won't work any more. You'll need U30 or later because they use DNS lookup instead of fixed IP - and that is the change which allowed us to move the master server.

This is a very important information and this new requirement should be stickied
All working fine for me now.

Thanks for the answers
I hope this isn't confusing :

I am now temporarily running a master server on the old IP address (the connection has been restored). I'll do that for a while (a day or so) until nearly all DNS servers across the world have been updated to the new address.

So just for now, you can still use version U and the U hosts will still be able to find the master server. But more to the point, if your ISP has a slow DNS update, you can still use your version V to race on those hosts which are still connecting to the old master server. Just remember : you may not be able to find the host you were looking for, as every host is only on one of the two master servers.

This is only temporary - and allows some people to race who would have been unable to do so.
Mmmm... We're having our last championship race in 7 hours and this is what I've come to, correct me if I'm wrong.

We are about 100 racers playing in 6 servers. There's no way to make sure that we will be viewing the same list of servers when the time comes, and we can't be sure of all of our servers being connected to the same master server neither.

But anyway, we can join any server online using directly its IP address no matter what master server it is connected to. Please tell me I'm right
thats confusing for me, dont know about everyone else lol
Quote from MaKaKaZo :But anyway, we can join any server online using directly its IP address no matter what master server it is connected to. Please tell me I'm right

You are wrong. You can't connect by ip address.

This looks like bad luck for your championship finals.
iv just booted up my server and she's running and i can connect but my mate says he cant see me....

but every now and again the server throughs up this ...

"network fatal : notconn"

wtf is all that about???? :doh:

also i can play online in other servers but i cant see the STCC ones but my mate can....illepall
Quote from Scawen :You are wrong. You can't connect by ip address.

This looks like bad luck for your championship finals.

if the people having problems tonight use the hosts-file method, they can connect I suppose.
Quote from Victor :if the people having problems tonight use the hosts-file method, they can connect I suppose.

Yes, I can connect to master server by edit hosts-file, Thanks!
Yes that is possible. Just very difficult to explain to 100 people how to edit the hosts file and still have a successful final.

You can see which master a host is on by looking at the LFSWorld list. If it is there then it is on the new master.

The hosts file can be used to direct "master.liveforspeed.net" to the appropriate IP address to choose the correct master.

But it it was me I'd reschedule the finals to Wednesday. Sorry about this but it had to happen once. The master is now on a real web server instead of a small business connection.
This is not anyone's fault, we'll try to find a solution.

I thought about editing the hosts file, but in that case we first have to make sure that our servers are all listed in the same master server, cause it would be way too much to get 50 people to edit the hosts file in a way and 50 people to edit it in another way and still get everyone to do it the right way and without anyone picking the wrong master server for their race. We're discussing about it but it looks nearly impossible to me. Re-scheduling the race looks like the better option to me.
we are going to have a cup race in about 1 hour as well... damit
Quote from MaKaKaZo :make sure that our servers are all listed in the same master server

Adding the entry to the hosts file on the machine(s) that run your servers would probably make them contact the correct / same one, after a DNS flush and a restart.
uhm..right now i can only see 15 servers..
its very strange... there are a few servers on which i cant join. and i cant search a driver by lfsworld name...

some of my team mates have the same problems, others got no problems.

any idea to fix the problem ?

edit: ok, forget it. it works fine now.
edit2: the problem returns
Could anyone tell me the IP address of the old master server so we can edit the hosts file in case we need to connect to it instead to the new one?
Quote from zockmachine :its very strange... there are a few servers on which i cant join. and i cant search a driver by lfsworld name...

some of my team mates have the same problems, others got no problems.

any idea to fix the problem ?

edit: ok, forget it. it works fine now.
edit2: the problem returns

either you can wait some more for the problem to fix itself (it will), or you can force an immediate fix by editing the following file with notepad :

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
(if you are on xp and if it's installed on c: - probably)

and adding the line :

213.40.196.103 master.liveforspeed.net

if that doesn't work instantly, just reboot and it should be fine.
Quote from MaKaKaZo :Could anyone tell me the IP address of the old master server so we can edit the hosts file in case we need to connect to it instead to the new one?

if you dare : 82.44.126.169
Quote from Victor :either you can wait some more for the problem to fix itself (it will), or you can force an immediate fix by editing (with notepad) :

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
(if you are on xp and if it's installed on c: - probably)

and adding the line :

213.40.196.103 master.liveforspeed.net

if that doesn't work instantly, just reboot and it should be fine.

alright, works fine. thx
I can see most of the servers but not the ones I normally use.

When I looked in the Windows folder to change what was suggested, there was no \Hosts folder in \etc.

Does anyone know if I could find it somewhere else

Thanks, Byrney :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
This thread is closed

Master Server Down [ now sorted ]
(73 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG