The online racing simulator
XJ220 Build Help
(57 posts, started )
#1 - MR_B
XJ220 Build Help
Evening all.

Today in my daily lessons in Uni we were told we have been donated a chassis, engine, transmission and brakes/wheels for an XJ220.

We've been given the task of getting this old queen back on the road. We've compiled a list of parts we need (pretty much everything I havent mentioned) for Jaguar to have a hunt around and find. In the meantime from hearing from them we have to research and find any information or sources avaliable about the construction and location of spares of this beast.

So, is there anyone in this vast community who has been in contact with the XJ220 and is there any knowledge or documents you could pass on to us students.

Ta.
!!!! JAG XJ220

*drools*

Although i cant help, keep us posted with lots of photos :P

and good luck out there buddy.. ur gunna need it
Talk to Elton John about it
Damn, my favourite supercar. All it needed was a cross-plane V8 instead of that V6 job and it would have been perfect.
#6 - MR_B
We were looking at that V6 yesterday and were suprised at just how low it was. Had some nice T4's strapped to it. *insert drool here*

Thanks for the link with the pics/documents! Brilliant

I'm just overwhelmed with the length of it. We had the 206 group N machine next to it and it was half the size. I mean this Jag's 5metres long :O

Edit: I'll get pictures for Tuesday probably, maybe even Monday but don't hold your breath on that.
As Bob says, if they hadn't put a crap engine in it it would be a nice car.

But I'm still available for test driving it at the end if you want
Quote from tristancliffe :
But I'm still available for test driving it at the end if you want

Oh noes >_<
*insert eek*

Don't underestimate the engine. It's only a V6, but IIRC it was originally designed for Group B rallying, and no slouch at all. The car didn't break 200 mph on aerodynamics alone.
Wow, you lucky little ...

How complete is the chassis? Is it just bare-bones framework, or does it have the bodypanels and some interior stuffs?
In a former career I developed a special polyester resin they used in the dashboard fabrication of the 220. It had a N2 gassing agent in it and so set to a very lightweight but rigid honeycomb structure, reinforced with an open mesh glass fibre mat.
OK, wake up, I've finished now.
It's a V6 alright - but it's turbo'd up to its eyeballs.

Supposedly they were planning on making it 4WD, but that unfortunatly didn't happen.
#13 - MR_B
Quote from 5th Earth :Don't underestimate the engine. It's only a V6, but IIRC it was originally designed for Group B rallying, and no slouch at all. The car didn't break 200 mph on aerodynamics alone.

- Yep, of what we've been discussing the torque was a major contributor to its swiftness. In the garage it's sitting next to one of their V8 lumps and it's not that spectacular (the V8). Although any engine gets your pulse racing (bar a 50cc)

Quote from MAGGOT :Wow, you lucky little ...

How complete is the chassis? Is it just bare-bones framework, or does it have the bodypanels and some interior stuffs?

It's just framework at the moment but as I said Jag are looking at getting the bits for it.

Quote from al heeley :In a former career I developed a special polyester resin they used in the dashboard fabrication of the 220. It had a N2 gassing agent in it and so set to a very lightweight but rigid honeycomb structure, reinforced with an open mesh glass fibre mat.
OK, wake up, I've finished now.

No no keep going, any information we can obtain will help greatly. Do know of anyone who'd be able to help with the actual dashboard? Or even who made it, we've been discussing the thought of gaining financial backing so if parts can be bought then that's something we'll deffinately look into

Quote from duke_toaster :It's a V6 alright - but it's turbo'd up to its eyeballs.

Supposedly they were planning on making it 4WD, but that unfortunatly didn't happen.

Yep it has two juicy T4 turbo's on it

Every morning I wake up with XJ220 on the brain. Another plus point of our coursework is to create a Haynes style manual for it.
The good thing about not having a complete Xj220 is that there is no radio.. So it can't fall out of its 'socket' when accelerating (as Clarkson managed)
What happened to the car originally that you "only" have the parts left that were given to you? Do you know any of that?
#16 - MR_B
Erm, I don't know at the moment but i'll try and find out. Looking at the wheels we were provided with, it's actually a Jaguar XJ220-C (the model worked on by TWR) *drools*

I'll try and get some nice pics today
Well when Jaguar were developing it, they first had a V12!
It was then passed along to Jaguar Racing along with TWR, they dropped the 4WD and took the V12 out of the road car and stuck the Metro Rally V6 engine in!

The XJR-9 (Announced as XJR-15) Road version had a nice V12 lump in it! *Wants one NOW!*

http://www.automarket.ro/blog/ ... 06/07/Jaguar%20XJR-15.jpg - YUMMY
Wasn't the XJR-15 supposed to be one of the worst handling racecars ever, partially due to a very high CoG? At least that's what I remember reading. I'd still love to crash one.
Quote from Bob Smith :Wasn't the XJR-15 supposed to be one of the worst handling racecars ever, partially due to a very high CoG? At least that's what I remember reading. I'd still love to crash one.

Yeah I have heard that somewhere before, still looks so beutiful though! Has a better engine
Quote from KillerMonkey :Because it won a drag race?

De Jaguar deed heel goed, Ik vond hem goed (Dont insult me if its bad! Im learning )
Quote from jamesrowe :De Jaguar deed het heel goed. Ik vond hem goed. (Dont insult me if its bad! Im learning )

Hehe, your dutch isn't bad. I corrected it in the quote
Quote from KillerMonkey :Hehe, your dutch isn't bad. I corrected it in the quote

Bugger! Thought I forgot Het out
As a lot of people on this forum know (especially the Dutch ones), I have a Dutch GF in The Netherlands (Eindhoven way) (And sorry JAG people, a bit OT)

XJ220 Build Help
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG