The online racing simulator
STCC Licence Userbar
(242 posts, closed, started )
Is there a place to discuess the "STCC License servers?"
-
(Christofire) DELETED by Christofire
looks nice. gold looks the best
Edit: nvm

P.S.: Joe, remember to read more posts b4 posting...
Why? It's not like other leagues aren't allowed to add their own user bar. They just have to inform Victor in that one thread he opened specifically for that case.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have an extra option in the User CP to enable/disable images in signatures, which should also affect these user bars. But for now the FF built in "Block images from xxx.yyy" works pretty well.

E: Dangit, beaten
I'm really surprised at the lack of take-up for this idea, and I'm a bit disappointed. Not just because I'm beginning to feel like the STCC is sticking out like a sore thumb, with a lot of resentment (because people don't bother to read threads, Joe! ) but also because userbars are a REALLY GOOD way to promote LFS, off the LFS forum.

When I came up with the idea of a dynamically delivered STCC userbar, it was particularly (if you'll please read the first post again) for people to use on other forums. This creates a hook to LFS, and this is what I wanted to do. I figured if the userbar was generated automatically, it'd provide a bit of extra incentive to use it, too. I still think a userbar that changes when your licence progresses is quite cool.

I'm grateful that Victor saw the value in it too, and chose to create the BBcode to enable it on this forum. If anyone wants help creating THEIR league userbars, (and making it dynamic if they want) I'll gladly help them do it. I'll even give them hosting for the graphic if they genuinely can't do it themselves. We've a spare terabyte at UKCT, which I'll happily give to promoting LFS, both on the LFS forum AND on any other forum/webpage. That's what this project was launched to do, after all.

[edit] Yes, AND to promote the STCC. The two are inextricable. MY motivation is invariably to promote LFS, as a starting point.
Becky, Sam,

Are you planning on creating more in-depth statistics? For example, I'd like to be able to see how many races it took me to reach my current license, etc. Most racers would be able to reach platinum license if given enough time, but doing it in less, oh i dont know, 50 races, takes skill.

(50 might be totally off, I actually have no idea.)
Quote from SamH :I'm really surprised at the lack of take-up for this idea, and I'm a bit disappointed. Not just because I'm beginning to feel like the STCC is sticking out like a sore thumb, with a lot of resentment (because people don't bother to read threads, Joe! ) but also because userbars are a REALLY GOOD way to promote LFS, off the LFS forum.

When I came up with the idea of a dynamically delivered STCC userbar, it was particularly (if you'll please read the first post again) for people to use on other forums. This creates a hook to LFS, and this is what I wanted to do. I figured if the userbar was generated automatically, it'd provide a bit of extra incentive to use it, too. I still think a userbar that changes when your licence progresses is quite cool.

I'm grateful that Victor saw the value in it too, and chose to create the BBcode to enable it on this forum. If anyone wants help creating THEIR league userbars, (and making it dynamic if they want) I'll gladly help them do it. I'll even give them hosting for the graphic if they genuinely can't do it themselves. We've a spare terabyte at UKCT, which I'll happily give to promoting LFS, both on the LFS forum AND on any other forum/webpage. That's what this project was launched to do, after all.

[edit] Yes, AND to promote the STCC. The two are inextricable. MY motivation is invariably to promote LFS, as a starting point.

I hope other leagues start seeing the potential in this aswell =) Shame people's ego's get in the way....
FEL, unfortunately we've not stored enough information in the database, this time around, to be able to deliver that level of analysis. Becky's LFS Companion application is capable of it, and does a rather smart job of it too, but I don't know if Becky has plans to blur the gap between the STCC manager and LFS Companion.

At the moment, we're working on bringing the "Odd Club" servers closer to the standard of the STCC in terms of data storage - although the intention is NOT to create a tiered system, or limit/restrict server access in any way at all.. that project is entirely about promoting FUN driving, with a weekly "oddball" title up for grabs, just for grins.
Quote :I'm beginning to feel like the STCC is sticking out like a sore thumb, with a lot of resentment

true. It's not userbars that cause this though. It's our constant drive to do new things and go the extra mile. There are some other leagues that are doing a great job. Recently on the STCC's Drivers Representative Board we talked about writting software to handle a new starting procedure - this kind of thing is second nature in STCC ... just because our wants where not supported in LFS doesnt mean we wont make LFS do it...

Elsewhere though a different league have quietly rolled out their own solution to a new starting system - and it looks very good and not that far removed from our own plans. Full marks to them for doing it! The difference is, when our solution arrives (if indeed it does) then it'll be seen. We recently banned driver aids, there'll be a song and dance about this on the next broadcast and it's already covered in LFS News - but another league did this ages ago, but nobody knew except those involved.

The STCC is all about the show, I expend effort making it as much like a real world racing series as possible and that's the whole point of the project. For other leagues it's about the racing, there's no fault in this - but consequently we are much more visible in what we do and it's this visibility which causes resentment from some.

In truth, the STCC is not doing anything that other leagues are not already doing. Many already broadcast - we just do ours in such a way as to appeal to spectators rather than the drivers. Many leagues have custom software on their server - we just do ours in a way to make it so much more visible.

We're not really anything special, save for one thing ... we're here to entertain - we just pretend that we're racing whilst we do it.
Quote from Becky Rose :we just pretend that we're racing whilst we do it.

I don't think I'm fooling anyone
Great idea guys, looks really cool
Quote from AndroidXP :On the other hand, it would be nice to have an extra option in the User CP to enable/disable images in signatures, which should also affect these user bars.

I would like to have this extra option too. Now, thanks to these userbars I had to hide all the signatures here..
Yesterday I thought that the userbars are a good idea and I added mine but scrolling down this page of this thread make me think they are maybe too much.

They make the page look very busy and cluttered. I am now thinking of removing it and just having text which would link to my license status.

I just cant find the taste for images in peoples signatures.

Only my view on the userbars.

Mad
I would just like to say that I am really happy STCC has happened, it has created a renewed surge of enjoyment with me for LFS. It represents the sort of career mode I have always felt LFS lacked on it's own. It creates the competitive desire to succeed, to continue racing through to the next licence level in order to access bigger cars and different circuits, to race against fellow enthusiasts who know how to race well and to race fair.
My eternal gratitude to those of you who put the project together
Quote from al heeley :I would just like to say that I am really happy STCC has happened, it has created a renewed surge of enjoyment with me for LFS. It represents the sort of career mode I have always felt LFS lacked on it's own. It creates the competitive desire to succeed, to continue racing through to the next licence level in order to access bigger cars and different circuits, to race against fellow enthusiasts who know how to race well and to race fair.
My eternal gratitude to those of you who put the project together

Exact same here! And that's exactly the reason why I like to "wear" my license status in the signature, despite of the fact that I'm usually not pro pictures in sigs.
I totally understand, Mad

I think part of the problem is the unfamiliarity of it on the LFS forum, part of it is the familiarity with unlimited abominations on other forums, and part of it is (so far) the sameyness of the ones we DO have here. Once (IF!) more start being created for different leagues, it will be more interesting to look at them than it is at the moment. Hope so anyway. It's still a trial for Victor, I think. If he doesn't feel it's going to work out, he'll pull the plug on the BBCode. The bars will still be available for other forums, though

Brilliant, Al and Linsen! That's really good to hear!
Thank you! Big grin *hugs*

Maybe I should organise an STCC pride march... lol
Quote from SamH :I totally understand, Mad

I think part of the problem is the unfamiliarity of it on the LFS forum, part of it is the familiarity with unlimited abominations on other forums, and part of it is (so far) the sameyness of the ones we DO have here. Once (IF!) more start being created for different leagues, it will be more interesting to look at them than it is at the moment. Hope so anyway. It's still a trial for Victor, I think. If he doesn't feel it's going to work out, he'll pull the plug on the BBCode. The bars will still be available for other forums, though

Brilliant, Al and Linsen! That's really good to hear!

I agree that unfimiliarity with pictures in signatures on this forum is probably part of the reason why my eyes cannot get use to them. I mean the user bars look nice, nice and metaly and I think they are a good idea to show people license status. But I would prefer if they were a bit thinner and without so much writing so they would blend into the forum a bit more. I may still change my mind and add it once I have gotten use to them.

As for what STCC is trying to do, I applaud all the people who are working on the project, I really like the sound of it and I think its something new, something fresh for LFS. I hope to start racing on the STCC servers soon to get my license status up. Its a really good idea.

It reminds me a lot of my Grand Tourismo 2 days where one had to aquire the B License, A License, IB License, IA License and finally the Super License to race on all circuits and in all cars.... it was great!

mad
Quote from Madman_CZ :I would prefer if they were a bit thinner and without so much writing so they would blend into the forum a bit more.

I'll look into creating an alternative, less intrusive image for people who want to opt for that. The size is userbar web-standard 350x19, though, and I don't want to deviate from that.
I've added (and briefly tested) an alternative image for you to use. To access it, get your image from stccu.ukct.net/light/your_username.gif.

In BBCode, just add "light/" infront of your username, for example [stcc]light/SamH[/stcc].

I'll look into creating minibars next. I've seen a few different widths for minibars, although the height is still 19px. I'm looking at a 120px wide image at the moment.
[stcc]light/AndroidXP[/stcc]

Looks ok but a minibar would probably be even better. Though it's still too much image for me to consider unblocking it
I went ahead and created a minibar version. Usage: [stcc]mini/SamH[/stcc]

Will return:

I hope this will meet with approval. I'm TRYING to deliver stuff people will be okay seeing, and will use.
This thread is closed

STCC Licence Userbar
(242 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG