The online racing simulator
Patch V Stutter Thread
(29 posts, started )
#1 - Slopi
Patch V Stutter Thread
Starting this thread here so people can post similar issues. To sum up the stuttering...

Quote :The "Bad Stutter" happens for about 4-5 seconds. You lose all feedback from your wheel and you have no idea where you are on the track anymore. When the stutter clears, you're often times thrust into a wall or off the track as your wheel regains FFB and you are warped to where you should be on the track.

An Example Of The Stuttering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuj5tynjF_U
Quote :Let me explain this video. Yes, Fraps was recording, no that is not the source of the lag you see in this replay. Although during the race, I had no lag at this corner, during the replay, the exact lag I normally experienced online occured while recording.

And here's the Pole Thread in the General Disscussion about the Stutter: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=17515&page=2

As mentioned in the Pole thread, those who are affected by this stutter did nothing (at least in my case) to change their systems before or after patch V. All that was changed before not having problems, to having these issues now is the installation of patch V.

So, if you have found a remedy for this, please post it here. Keep in mind, I'm not asking for "Basic PC Optimizations" here, so please keep those to a minimum. Please post what you have do to effectively remove the stutter if you had the stutter before and you have fixed it yourself.

Thanks!
#2 - JTbo
Did you install patch V as on upgrade to older version. ie. in same folder or was your installation completely fresh one?

I saw someone had this trouble with fresh installed copy in fresh installed Windows XP, that is why I ask to get picture if there is any meaning how installation was done.

Youtube is slow again, must wait until can see the video.
#3 - Slopi
Patch V was installed to my existing U version of LFS.

I'll give the full install package a run tonight to see if there's any difference, but from what I've read it doesn't seem to matter if it's fresh install or a patch upgrade of LFS.
I've had exactly the same stutter which made LFS unplayable, this started when I installed TEST PATCH 30.

I noticed the hdd light would flash furiously when the stutter occured, so I thought it was a prob with my hdd. Eventually I found that it was a rogue process that was running all the time... The process is called NMBigMonitor and it comes from the Nero Home 7 premium application. Ending task on the process would stop the stuttering every time without fail. I've since removed Nero completely from my system and I no longer have any problem.

I'm guessing there's something in the new sound system that has a tendency to conflict with other processes, as I doubt everyone else experiencing these problems are using Nero Home 7.

My specs are:

Asus A8V-E Deluxe motherboard
Athlon A64 3500+ socket 939 cpu
2gb Corsair DDR
Audigy 2 PCI
Powercolor radeon X850XT PCI-E 256mb gfx card
WD Caviar 320gb SATAII hard disk running in SATA1 mode.
Antec 480W NeoPower PSU

Running Windows XP, fully updated. Latest drivers for everything.
Now running Patch V, problem occured test patch 30 through to patch V.
Using Nod32 AV, problem persisted without it running.
using Windows Firewall, no connection issues.
Approx 13mbit ADSL2+ connection, model of router I can't recall off the top of my head. The router is configured so that my PC is on the DMZ, all ports handled through Windows Firewall.
Using AVG I found no spyware (fairly new install of windows, and the Nero process isn't considered malicious).

I recommend we all post our specs, both for Scawen and so we can see if there's common factor here.

ps: We just won the 5th test of the Ashes, that's 5-0 to Australia
#5 - Slopi
Specs here are:

Asus K8N-E mobo
AMD Sempron 3300+
1.5gig DDR
WD 200gig (game drive) IDE
Maxtor 250gig (system drive) SATA
Creative Live SB Gamer 5.1 Sound Card
Radeon x850 XT AGP 256MB Graphics
Antec Neo HE 550w Power Supply

Windows XP Pro (Full updates/patches)
Dissabled AV
Dissabled Firewall
Connection: 8mbit down - 864kbit up (Cable)
Ok, here's my Specs..

MB: ASUS A7N8X-X
CPU: Barton 2500+(normal clocks)
Sound card: onboard Realtek AC97 audio
Memory: 512 ddr 400 Kingston Value Ram
Video Card: Asus Radeon 9550 GE 128 mb, 128 bit
Windows XP Pro, Sp2
#7 - Davo
ABit KN8 Ultra
A64 X2 3800+ overclocked fully stable
2GB DDR
nvidia 7900GS
Windows XP Pro SP2 fully updated
NOD32 AV

I have Nero but don't have that process running at all. Only noticed stuttering and problems since patch V. Happens very randomly, no connection with downloading skins etc. Don't play single player to test it.
Oh yeah, it doesn't occur in single player btw

and it's Nero Home, the latest package deal that does a whole lot more than just burn disks (don't ya hate that? good apps always become cluttered)
#9 - Davo
Hmm I've got Nero ultra with pretty much every app installed but no process. I can see the Nero home app but I disable it and use smartstart. nero is an awesome program and I couldn't live without it.
I get 5 - 100 fps eratic and unconsistent FPS.

ive tried upgrading u to v. tried fresh install. on other hdd.

ive tried running anti virus and spyware removal. tried running LFS with anti virus on and off.

ive tried removing un needed running processes. but im still researching the svchost thing. have tried disabling QoS service and most of my old processes that were ok to run on previous version of LFS... still no change. minor FPS improvements but not resolving the low frame rate issue. No anti aliasing on, all set to performance mode.

the install of windows is reasonably old. over a year but I want to use this as my utmost last resort as it may not work.

My system specs:

Windows XP pro SP2. fully updated and defraggled.

P4 3.4 Ghz 200mhz FSB with Hyper Threading on

2 GB of DDR memory @ 333mhz dual channel interleaved

2x SATA hdd 190GB

nvidia geforce 6800 ultra PCI xpress 256MB

creatice soundblaster audigy 2 ZS soundcard - How would i know if this is platinum?

viewsonic LCD screen @ 1280x1024 resolution @ 60hz

USB devices: hub, hp printer, DFP wheel, microsoft mouse, alcatel adsl modem

attached is my dxdiag

here is a copy of my svchost list.

G:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tasklist /svc
Image Name PID Services
========================= ====== =============================================
System Idle Process 0 N/A
System 4 N/A
smss.exe 472 N/A
csrss.exe 556 N/A
winlogon.exe 592 N/A
services.exe 636 Eventlog, PlugPlay
lsass.exe 648 PolicyAgent, ProtectedStorage, SamSs
svchost.exe 808 DcomLaunch, TermService
svchost.exe 860 RpcSs
svchost.exe 900 AudioSrv, BITS, CryptSvc, Dhcp, dmserver,
ERSvc, EventSystem,
FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc,
lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,
Nla, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection, srservice,
TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt,
wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
svchost.exe 956 Dnscache
svchost.exe 984 LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, upnphost,
WebClient
spoolsv.exe 1112 Spooler
btwdins.exe 1252 btwdins
CTSVCCDA.EXE 1264 Creative Service for CDROM Access
defwatch.exe 1292 DefWatch
rtvscan.exe 1348 Norton AntiVirus Server
nvsvc32.exe 1384 NVSvc
HPZipm12.exe 1396 Pml Driver HPZ12
explorer.exe 1960 N/A
alg.exe 2016 ALG
vptray.exe 1028 N/A
iTunesHelper.exe 1052 N/A
rundll32.exe 1176 N/A
qttask.exe 1416 N/A
ctfmon.exe 2096 N/A
iPodService.exe 2116 iPod Service
BTTray.exe 2224 N/A
BTStackServer.exe 2356 N/A
svchost.exe 2716 usnsvc
msnmsgr.exe 452 N/A
iexplore.exe 816 N/A
wmplayer.exe 3928 N/A
iexplore.exe 3272 N/A
cmd.exe 2512 N/A
tasklist.exe 2588 N/A
wmiprvse.exe 1976 N/A

i dont always run media player its just i did at the time of doing the dxdiag. ive tried it with / without MSN.

ive updated my graphics driver. ive updated direct x. im download new sound drivers then doing the BIOS.
Attached files
DxDiag.txt - 50.9 KB - 210 views
Hey guys,
I was having the same problem with Nero. I uninstalled Nero Scout and thought my worries were over but then after about 1/2 hour of pain free playing with 100fps the studdering started again.
When I jumped out to the Task Manager I saw a svchost.exe process going nutz on my system. This is a fresh install of windows using my existing install of LFS.

DFI Lanparty UT4 SLI
AMD Athalon64 4000+
1GB Dual Channel RAM
NVidia GeForce 7900GS (256)
Seagate SATA 320MB HD
Onboard Sound
1280x1024 Samsung SynchMaster 940BF LCD

I will try it out again today and if it still screws with me I'll uninstall Nero completely and see what happens.
i haven't experienced this problem (and hope that i don't). my question is, what version server are you connecting to?

does it happen on U servers, Uxx test patch servers, or V servers (or all)?
I must say that I dont have any stuttering like that (I used to but my system got upgraded) the only stutter i get is when minimizing lfs or going into the options, i get a stuttery every 3 seconds for about .3 of a second, pain in the butt...
It was happening in single player mode too (that was one of the first things I checked).
#15 - col
I've had this problem occasionally since the first S2 alpha release, There was some discussion at the time, but no real solution was found. I just made loads of tweaks to my system, and always close all non essential apps on my PC, the stuttering only happens very occasionally now. Unfortunately, when it does it usually means end of race for me - a complete graphics freeze for a few seconds... I just slam on the brakes and hope for the best.

AMD 1800xp
win2000
geforce 6600
soundblaster audigy2 'value'

EDIT: just finished a session of racing. after a couple of hours, I started getting some bad stuttering. bah
im beginning to think my problem is seperate from this "patch V sutter".

i get stutter though. i am not sure its related to the patch.

my fps is taking severe drops at certain points...im still trying to figure out whats going on.

im going to try and make my own thread to sort this out specific to my machine setup etc ... as i dont think its related to the patch. im getting the problem in a few games...
Quote from richy :....as i dont think its related to the patch. im getting the problem in a few games...

And that's most certainly the scenario here. Or otherwise this thread would have more than 15 posts.

Oh and no problems here with patch V. Did you guys try to adjust minimum sleep? Some XPs and hardware configurations do not mix well but I recall minimum sleep setting curing a lot of such problems.

EDIT: Richy: That's a nice list of unnecessary processes.
people who dismiss other's problems are just plain arrogant.
Did you try EnditAll2? Its a small program closing all programs running in the Background. Perhaps there is something installed on your PC that brakes down the Performance everynow and then?

http://www.casarosa.ca/EndItAll2.zip
Thanks for the End it All app.
I've just re-installed windowsXP Pro so I'll have to give it some time to test. If it occurs again, I will try that app.

My problem had changed somewhat(before this re-install); I still had some stutters (svchost.exe was hogging CPU) but I was also getting a freeze for 10-20 seconds very infrequently. Unfortunately it happened while I was running 3rd in the Chops Sunday Cup last night so I just stood on the brake and miraculously nobody hit me and I stayed on the run-off at an Aston Hairpin.

I will post any new findings as I discover them.
Checking in...
Since my Windows re-install I've had no problems. (doesn't mean I won't but I've played for a few 30min. - 1hr stints with no problems). I'm getting 130fps. I'm still using the same LFS files just had to unlock S2 again.

If this stays sable I guess a bunch of guys get to say "I told you so".

Thanks for the help.
i get a stutter similar to that when people leave the pits, but that's the only time
#23 - Gunn
Quote from Burnzoire :people who dismiss other's problems are just plain arrogant.

I don't see anyone in this topic being dismissive, all I see is people trying to help nail down the issue and relating their own experience.
#24 - Jakg
Quote from XCNuse :i get a stutter similar to that when people leave the pits, but that's the only time

Thats the skins being applied to the cars, afaik
i think it is so too, but its really bad..

Patch V Stutter Thread
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG