The online racing simulator
Bump the noob...
(121 posts, started )

Poll : Let the noob eat wall?

I try to pass clean, even if I don’t win.
I try to pass clean, but not if I can drop a position.
I let the noob eat wall if he doesn't move out of my way.
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :tbh i race fairly, but last year or so , more and more i see the "new" generation (not just in LFS) having 0 respect, so if im passing and they decide to tighten their line (9/10 this is the case) I WILL widen mine.

So i guess my vote lies with "eat wall" , I`m sick to death of political correctness.

I know what you mean. What I hate most is the fact that a lot of these blue flag incidents are on your last lap of a flipping 5 lap race. You were driving along having fun with other clean drivers battling out for maybe 3rd 4th or 5th (in my case usually ) and some one joins the race who is getting in the way, saying they have a right to be passed cleanly. Why cant they just wait until the race is over and join the next one? In stead of ruining everyone else’s race. I don’t care how fast or slow they are.

Its almost like they put themselves in that situation just so they can say "blah blah, im entitled to battle for my position..." highly irritating.
While I can perfectly understand the frustration about people who are interfering with other peoples race, I still don't see how bumping someone intentionally=wrecking could possibly solve the problem!? All it does is, it creates more frustration and thus anger which in turn usually leads to more wrecking. So, if you feel someone has unrightfully obstructed you or your race, talk to him afterwards, try to tell him what he's done wrong, explain why a late-joiner is not entitled to fight for position etc. That's the only way they learn.

And just for the record: Currently 25 % of the people who've participated in this poll at least think wrecking is justified under certain circumstances illepall
No-one should ever force anyone in to a wall or off track. Period.
Quote from LFSn00b :I bump if he is blocking my way.

Have I read that right? sounds like intentional bumping/wreaking to me!

Whats wrong with braking and passing when he is not in your way?

if said player is a "noob" you should easily pass into most turns either by outbraking or switching-back no?

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :Have I read that right?

I was wondering the same thing.

If I'm (as is usually the case) slower than the person behind, while racing for position then I will make my car as wide as possible. I won't swerve all over the road, but I'll try and occupy the parts of the track that the person behind would like to use to overtake me. I'm sometimes out-witted.. Redman's particularly good at tricking me into thinking he's going to try one move, and actually performing another, and that's what I consider good driving.

If he were to bump me, though, and give me more speed into a corner than I can use to get around it, even if I finish up conceding the corner, my view of him would be that he sucks as a driver.

I keep repeating my own addage, if you can't gain a place by earning it, and have to gain it by costing someone else their race, you suck at racing. I really believe that.
Quote from csurdongulos :that's only because you haven't raced with a lot of other people, and by the way, listing arrechee there must be a mistake. calling someone smart who after disconnecting rejoins the at that time most prominent league race and tries to ram off some other drivers in the race, sounds a bit...strange to say the least.

I had some bad moves in the past, but I never wrecked anyone intentionally ,and now the only thing I am aiming for on the race track is a clean pass and a good battle.

ive raced with MANY people, and hardly any (apart from the above list) can come from the back to the front of the grid quickly, overtake and defend properly, and know when not to defend. Of course the league wrecking incident was bad from 1 of em, but im talking about their race craft, not their reputation!!
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :ive raced with MANY people, and hardly any (apart from the above list) can come from the back to the front of the grid quickly, overtake and defend properly, and know when not to defend. Of course the league wrecking incident was bad from 1 of em, but im talking about their race craft, not their reputation!!

I was talking about clean racers, who give you just enough room to have a fun race, I could name 50 if I had to and I am not that much online either, except for the past weeks to get my platinum on stcc

anyways what you are describing are fast guys, it doesn't need to be a fast guy to have racecraft! also, most of the aliens lack racecraft due to the simple fact that they are just pulling away and have no challenge, so they don'T have that much experience in such situations.

i would say racecraft also has to do with your behaviour, whatever the circumstances, I could hardly say he has racecraft, when he wrecks intentionally. but that's from the past, I am sure he wishes now that it had never happened in the first place...and probably he has never done it since, but one bad day can just change everything.
In my opinion, whatever the situation there is no justification for intentional bumping.
#111 - ev0
The other side of the coin
As somebody who is very new to this game, but experienced in real life racing, I have experienced this from the business end of the blue flag.

In my understanding, this game is a simulation, in other words, a digital recreation of real life. In real life racing, slower drivers on the track have always played a role in the outcome of the racing event. The only difference is that the gap between the abilities of the leading drivers and slower drivers is less extreme than it is in the game, since a rookie would never be allowed to compete in a professional event. That is why tolerance and patience need to be applied.

Just like real racing, a slower driver has the right to stay ahead of a faster driver, if they are competent enough to drive a defensive line and stop the faster driver from overtaking. This obviously excludes intentional repeated swerving on a straight to block, as this would be illegal in real life racing as well. If a driver is being lapped, and the blue flag applies, then they should move out of the way as soon as it is safe to do so. The faster drivers can't expect the slower ones to "teleport" out of the way so that they have no impact at all. Sometimes having an impact can't safely be avoided.

To conclude, in my opinion a possible solution in future versions of the game would be to add a black flag facility as well, with similar rules to the real racing which this game simulates. Three blue flags without yielding, then a black. Intentional contact (no matter how slight) - black flag. This would normally be dealt with by the race steward, but server admins could simulate this role.

Thank you for reading my first post

e
This kind of reminds me of an incident I had IRL at a track day at Infineon. It was really just a bunch of guys with Evos, STi's, and a other tuners, with some Porsches (two guys, pretty wealthy, but besides the point). I was comming into the last hairpin before the "straight" when I noticed one of the faster guys of the day driving an NSX in my rearview. I utilized the AWD of the Subaru and accelerated hard out of the corner, to try not to slow him up too much, and let him be on his way. His rear slipped out a little probably giving it a bit too much throttle, so I had a good 10m between us. By the first slight bend comming on the lap marker, he was right there again, and instead of just passing (I gave him the proper line), he decides to rub my bumper. In a real race, with race cars, not my everyday driver, I wouldn't mind this at all. Happens sometimes. But I started to pull away after this (Not sure whether he let off, which is the more probable, or my car was a bit faster, but I don't know his specs). Entering the first right hand turn at the top of the hill, he ran his car into the back of mine with enough force to put me around, and in the grass. I sat there for a second and thought about it (was pretty mad to be honest). I pulled back onto the track after making sure it was clear to do so, and took it easy until I could get back to the pitlane as my tyres were quite dirty. In the middle of me changing tyres and checking the back bumper (wound up just taking it the rest of the way off, since it was hanging anyways), he pulls up rather aggressively and gets out of his car, and irately curses me and tells me that I have no right to be around a car, and is glad he decided to put me off. Unfortunately for this wacko, I was talking with one of the track marshalls at the moment about the incident, and, well, to make a long story a little shorter, he was 'respectively asked to leave'. The rest of the day was pretty smooth... except explaining to my fiancee why I came home with my bumper in the back seat...
Still got a good massaging to get the stiffness out of my back from that hit, but the lesson is, don't ram, just wait. When the opertunity arises, and it will, make the clean pass. I carry how I felt IRL getting hit with me when I play LFS, as I don't want to make someone else feel that same way I did. It's frustrating.
csurdongulos, no offence to tristan but he isnt an 'alien' but he can get from the back to the front, overtake aggressivly, and when to fight and not to fight.

as u well know, because of the 'traffic' drivers in the mid pack are usualy 1 or 2 seconds a lap slower than the pace they COULD do if the track was clear, so u dont need to be very fast to catch them and overtake them, just smart and commited.

all of the 'aliens' that ive met in LFS cant race for toffee, apart from maybe n1lyn. they are clean sure, but they cant overtake a defending driver, make places up at starts, etc etc
My problem at the moment seems to be drivers in cars behind me thinking they can use their normal braking points even though they are inches from my bumper and know fine well that the car I am in simply cannot corner as quickly as they can (STCC servers, XRT v FXO).

This ends up in me getting a tap on entry that pushes me wide, now I don't really mind if they realise what they have done but it is really starting to bug me when they just nip down the inside and clear off into the distance.

The same guy got me 2 races in a row last night and I lost my rag and told him that I was going to report it but I calmed down and thought better of it.

If you're reading this, you know who you are, no hard feelings but please be a bit more careful in the future
Quote from Bean0 :the car I am in simply cannot corner as quickly as they can (STCC servers, XRT v FXO).

You ought to be used to that from the bronze server - did you use the XRG much? I haven't had too many chances to race recently, but driving the XRG for the first few times, the sight of an XFG nipping past my shoulder on the inside soon got boring.

I am learning the lesson: never enter a corner so quickly that you can't take a really tight line to the apex. You will pay for it. Keep the little bugger behind you, no matter what. He'll disappear on the straight.
Quote from LFSn00b :No, i mean this:
If im lapping a person, and he is repeatedetly(spelling) blocking me, i have nothing else to do that bump him.

It's still selfish, stupid, and plainly wrong. Racing is a non-contact sport. You should NEVER* intentionally(spelling) make a physical contact with another car.

* Maybe two racers who have raced a lot together, trust each other and know each other well, can make little door-to-door contact in fast corners, or bumpdraft on straights.
Quote from LFSn00b :I bump if he is blocking my way.

But do you also hit people at shop as they are on your way? No, it is not right thing to do

Online racing is gentleman sport, one must be polite and respect others. If someone is wrecking intentionally show some real gentleman manners and don't go to same level with wrecker.
I drive the XRG on the bronze servers, it rocks!
Quote from Jakg :I drive the XRG on the bronze servers, it rocks!

Yeah, couple the XFG/XRG differences with plenty of cornering respect and I've been in some great, last corner exit, three abreast, drags to the finish line.
Quote from nihil :You ought to be used to that from the bronze server - did you use the XRG much? I haven't had too many chances to race recently, but driving the XRG for the first few times, the sight of an XFG nipping past my shoulder on the inside soon got boring.

I am learning the lesson: never enter a corner so quickly that you can't take a really tight line to the apex. You will pay for it. Keep the little bugger behind you, no matter what. He'll disappear on the straight.

I used the XRG quite a bit, in fact I used it to get my Gold License because there were not many people getting into the Silver/Gold Server at the time.

As I said though, it's when the other party involved deems it ok and just scoots off into the distance that bugs me. Especially on the Silver/Gold Server where the racers should be of a higher level than the New/Bronze.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of times where faster guys sit on my bumper for a few laps before making a clean pass, but I feel that there are a minority that get annoyed by being legitimately held up by up to 2 or 3 secs per lap on some tracks and seize the opportunity when it arises.

I suppose it boils down to racecraft rather than raw speed at the end of the day.
Quote from Bean0 :I feel that there are a minority that get annoyed by being legitimately held up by up to 2 or 3 secs per lap on some tracks and seize the opportunity when it arises.

I suppose it boils down to racecraft rather than raw speed at the end of the day.

I agree.. racecraft and your honour.

There's a difference between seizing the opportunity when it arises (good racecraft) and forcing an opportunity even when it hasn't arisen, by "bumping the n00b" (lousy driving).

There are a whole bunch of drivers out there who think that racing is ONLY about driving faster than everyone and winning. Sure, that's the goal.. but if you think that it's okay to do that using underhanded, "Dick Dastardly" tactics, I think you're WAY out of step.

Bump the noob...
(121 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG