The online racing simulator
LFS LAN Party
(33 posts, started )
LFS LAN Party
Closer to the time we can organise directions. However, my house (which is approximately a mile from the hall) is post-code NP25 4TD, which you can look up on any ol' route-finder.

Look down for a few edits, in red.

vMaxSR would like to invite you to our Birthday LFS LAN! Its the first week in December near Chepstow (which is near Bristol!). Its a bit short notice as we've just realised that everyone we invited can't make it, so we're throwing it open! We have a number of spaces available (and this can be extended). So if you fancy a LAN party on the 3rd and 4th of December (We're having a 12-hour overnight endu race, with teams of drivers, etc) let me know ASAP.

Edit:I'm going to see how long I can hold the hall for! But please try by the end of the week if at all possible.
Ideally, I need replies of confirmation (this has to be certain) by tomorrow, but I could say by Tuesday or Wednesday. I need your payment ideally by Wednesday (see details below) but I could say by Friday.

Here's what we've been saying to the previously invited persons.

Quote :
We are going to hire a hall . We can't really use a house or anything, as there will be too many of us!

We would ask that everyone who CAN bring their PCs with them, so that we can set up a big LAN and have as many people racing as possible. If you do not have any networking capabilities, people who DO have will bring spare parts - and if we run out, a trip to PC World will be in order.

The order of the days would go like this:

Saturday - 10am - Hall Rental start, Tristan, Fordie and James pitch up to set up.
Saturday - 11am - Everyone else welcome to start pitching up and setting up their rigs, talking, getting to know each other.
Saturday - 1pm - FOOOOOOD!!!!
Saturday - 2pm - First LFS Race.
Saturday - 3pm to 6pm - Whatever we like
Saturday - 6pm - FOOOOOD!!!!!
Saturday - 6pm to 9pm - Whatever we like
Saturday - 9pm - Start of Night Race (teams, split up). *see below for more info.
Sunday - 9am - End of Night Race
Sunday - 10am - FOOOOOOD!!!
Sunday - 11am - Last LFS Race.
Sunday - 11:30am to 1pm - Clearing up.

That is just a ROUGH, NOT CONFIRMED schedule, but gives the general idea.

*The night race will be done with NIGHT textures and LIGHTS. We will be split into teams, and those racers who aren't racing can sleep if they want to (due to health and safety regs for the hall, we can't all be asleep at the same time).

Quote :
This is just to let you know about what I require (and when I require it by) for the vMax LAN. The final confirmed dates are Saturday 3rd December -> Sunday 4th December.

This is what you'll get for your £20 (we can't say "go and get your own", because there's nowhere for 10 miles to get it!):
- Lunch on 3rd (probably hot dogs).
- Tea on 3rd (maybe chilli and rice).
- Breakfast on 4th (cereal, toast, etc.)
- Lunch on 4th (probably ham and cheese rolls/sandwiches to take on your trips back to wherever!)
- Tea/Coffee/Water/Squash (i.e. no soda drinks, we will organise a 'collection' and go buy those on Saturday).
- A table to put your computer on
- Use of the router
- Cat5 cable to your computer
- Table (suitable for wheel clamping), and a static chair.

If you have any problems with the food (e.g. you're veggie or don't like something), I need to know ASAP - and we'll sort something out for you.

What you need to bring:
- Your computer (if you're bringing one, but it IS advised, as we don't know what'd happen with sharing).
- Network card (preferably wired, if not, we can try and sort out wireless).
- At LEAST 1 4-plug extension cable (if you CAN, please bring more).
- Sleeping bag if you intend to sleep in your off-stint in the night race.
- Headphones (NO SPEAKERS) - if you wish to use TeamSpeak with us, you will need a microphone too.
- Yourself
- Your wheel (if you use a wheel)
- A swivel chair (if you don't want to use a, provided, static chair)

What you cannot do inside the hall:
- Smoke
- Drink alcohol
- Be drunk
- Play loud music after 8pm or before 9am

What you can do inside the hall:
- Have lots of fun!
- Meets lots of people.
- Race LFS until you fall off your chair in tiredness!

What I need from you and when I need it by (final dates):
- Whether you are coming or not (Monday 24th October)
- Whether you are bringing a computer or not (Monday 24th October)
- What type of network card you have (i.e. wired or wireless - Monday 24th October). If you don't have one, let me know as well and we'll see what we can figure out.
- Your £20 in my bank account (details at the bottom - Wednesday 26th October)
- How many power extension cables (3-plug/4-plug, or more) you can bring (Friday 28th October).

My bank details are available on request

I CANNOT ACCEPT PAYPAL. If you can't pay straight into the bank account, please try to sort out another arrangement. I also CANNOT give refunds ONCE THE HALL IS BOOKED. I can't get the money back from the hall owners, and so I can't give it back to you! When you have paid, I need to know your account name so I can mark you off as having paid. If people pull out to the point where we cannot afford to put on the event at £20 per person, you will either have to increase your contribution or we will have to cancel the event altogether

Please let me know via PM or email (thejamesf1 {at} gmail {dot} com) ASAP, if you want to come.

Sorry for the long, and demanding, message!

Thanks guys!

James
Currently Confirmed OR Interested
1. JamesF1 -- CONFIRMED -- PAYMENT MADE
2. TristanCliffe -- CONFIRMED -- AWAITING PAYMENT
3. _Tux_ -- CONFIRMED -- AWAITING PAYMENT
4. Rob (NiC) -- CONFIRMED -- AWAITING PAYMENT
5. Lippy -- UNCONFIRMED
6. Markko -- UNCONFIRMED
7. Shortyman -- CONFIRMED -- AWAITING PAYMENT
8. The Angry Angel -- CONFIRMED -- AWAITING PAYMENT
9. Bob Smith -- UNCONFIRMED
10. Metalstar -- CONFIRMED -- AWAITING PAYMENT
11. snewham -- UNCONFIRMED
12. Anarchi-H -- UNCONFIRMED
13. AndyC -- UNCONFIRMED
Possibly beyond

We ideally need 16 people (otherwise the cost needs to go up).
Mmmm, looks phun but i allready have a lan ( www.regroup.nl )

Maybe next time
I'll be interested. Two and a half hour car journey fo rme so I'll see if I can share a car unless I pass my test before then

I'll send you a pm later about whether I can or not.

Scotty
i would do it.. but after the LFS meeting i went to this weekend. im skint till new year.
I was wondering, if i go with the chunnel, how far is bristol from there?
Basically the channel tunnel is near folkstone which is around 3 hours 15 mins from Bristol.
Quote from snewham :Basically the channel tunnel is near folkstone which is around 3 hours 15 mins from Bristol.

wow...

Alot, if you consider that i drive across holland in like two and a half hours :P

Edit: see the attached pic...
Attached images
LFSLAN.JPG
Damn it. I knew there would be a good reason to get my license this year >_<

Don't suppose there are any confirmed coming from (or passing through) lincolnshire that I could bum a lift with?

*sigh*

One thing though, I didn't see chairs or wheels mentioned anywhere
Really annoyed I can't go Why does everyone live down south

as you can see its a little bit out of the way

Keiran
Oh yeah, If you're not bringing a PC and want to share, you will NOT be counted in the 16 (as that's for our 16 port switch slots )
Quote from Anarchi-H :One thing though, I didn't see chairs or wheels mentioned anywhere

Static chairs (and tables) are provided (no swivel ) and wheels must be brought! TABLES FINE FOR CLAMPING!
Quote from JamesF1 :Static chairs (and tables) are provided (no swivel ) and wheels must be brought! TABLES FINE FOR CLAMPING!

so if i managed to come i should leave my hacksaw at home then...
I've the same problem Franky (Franky=Dean ? worse than mine), no money although it's only £20 so I could find it from somewhere. However I won't confirm (or pay) until I can get transport - if I'm bringing a PC I need a lift and I need to be picked up from outside my house. I can't see Portsmouth being on the way for anyone so... who fancies a detour?
Quote from Bob Smith :I've the same problem Franky (Franky=Dean ? worse than mine), no money although it's only £20 so I could find it from somewhere. However I won't confirm (or pay) until I can get transport - if I'm bringing a PC I need a lift and I need to be picked up from outside my house. I can't see Portsmouth being on the way for anyone so... who fancies a detour?

well im picking my new car up soon so if your brave enough to sit through my navigation again then you can have a lift
Quote from Bob Smith :I've the same problem Franky (Franky=Dean ? worse than mine), no money although it's only £20 so I could find it from somewhere. However I won't confirm (or pay) until I can get transport - if I'm bringing a PC I need a lift and I need to be picked up from outside my house. I can't see Portsmouth being on the way for anyone so... who fancies a detour?

i think i will end up giving this a miss.. if it were some time early next year. sure maby.. but too much needing to happen next couple of months.

and yes. Franky500=Dean . and i refuse to tell you why!!!!!
Well Bob, there ya go for a lift. I wouldn't trust Jon's driving, but if you're up to it...
Quote from dUmAsS :well im picking my new car up soon so if your brave enough to sit through my navigation again then you can have a lift

That's ok if you're driving I'll be navigating. Make sure it has a CD player this time though, coming back today got a bit boring (and I didn't want to be anti-social and use my portable).

I'll try and collect some debts and scrounge the £20. I'm currently jobless, have spent my overdraft, and borrowed £120 from my Dad for the karting. Dammit everybody knows I'm awesome why can't I get a job.
Quote from Bob Smith :That's ok if you're driving I'll be navigating. Make sure it has a CD player this time though, coming back today got a bit boring (and I didn't want to be anti-social and use my portable).

it has a cd player! (9 days to go until i go collect it!, 10 days to go until i probably claim on the insurence)
O god, not more travelling I just spent 5 hours on a train !!

I am intrested tho, i'll have to check dates etc tommorow and i'll tell you then.

Andy.
Quote from Anarchi-H :Damn it. I knew there would be a good reason to get my license this year >_<

Don't suppose there are any confirmed coming from (or passing through) lincolnshire that I could bum a lift with?

*sigh*

One thing though, I didn't see chairs or wheels mentioned anywhere

Erm, anyone in the area of Lincolnshire for Anarchi-H to beg a lift with?
I was plucking up the courage to tell you James that the first week of December is my girlfriends birthday, and that I wouldn't be able to make it.

In our first MSN convo about it you said first weekend of November!

BUT! My girlfriend watched me chatting to Fordman last night, and she said, well my birthday's on Friday, so I guess you could go
I'll just have to do the nice birthday stuff in the preceeding days...
Maybe its me, but I dont see no mention of monitors, do people bring there own?
Only if you want to see an image

Basically, we have a hall, tables, chairs, and wall sockets. It's up to us to provide computers, monitors, swivelly chairs, wheels, routers, switches etc etc etc...

I think there is also food available at the hall, and a supermarket not too far away if you want normal prices.

I am providing a router (ADSL Modem Router, so if someone wants to pay ofr Broadband access in the hall (ignore this, as it's a silly idea, unless you are loaded!), I think Tux is providing some or all of the switches, and we all bring our PC's (NOTE: YOU WILL NEED AN RJ45 NETWORK CONNECTOR AS WE WILL NOT HAVE WIRELESS SUPPORT. Or bring a wireless access point, and we can wire it into the network I guess. Not sure about network cabling, but if you have your own lenthy bits it will all help.

Oh, and a sleeping bag wouldn't go amiss And a ground sheet. Or a Camp Bed. You get the picture!
Quote from seggons :Maybe its me, but I dont see no mention of monitors, do people bring there own?

Unless you can plug your brain into a VGA output I would suggest that is a good idea.

LFS LAN Party
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG