The online racing simulator
Brake heat and wear
(11 posts, started )
Brake heat and wear
Hey, i was jsut thinking the other day, why not use a model similar to the tyre model for brake heat and wear. This could serve as another balancing aspect and tuning option for cars.

As a balance option some cars may not cool thier brakes as efficiently, resulting in fade and extra wear from longer braking zones.

as a tuning option, there are many compounds of brake shoe and a few thicknesses of rotors out there, resulting in different ratios of "grab" and wear life.

As compared to the tyre model it shouldnt be much of a problem as the rotors and pads should heat uniformly, unless warped.

Endurance teams have been changing out brake pads and occasionally rotors on pit service stops for a while now, I'm not sure just how long but the past couple year at least.
#2 - Woz
There are other effects to take into account such as brake fluid heating up and in the end boiling. Also if there is enough heat in the braking system that will transfer into the rims and ultimatly into the tires.

Yep would add loads to take into account. That said so many people still run short sprint races where non of this has any real impact
That is an excellent idea, and should be able to be done if it was modeled parallel to the amount of tire wear, temputure, and brake bias.
Quote from Woz :That said so many people still run short sprint races where non of this has any real impact

The difference between lap 1 brakes and lap 2 brakes is very surprising. Into T1, with stone cold brakes (or maybe partially warm once we get parade laps, or partially warm if Scawen pre-heats them automatically) T1 needs a lot more respect, and it can screw with the bias too to some extent. By the time you've got to lap 2 it's a world apart.

We don't need overheating brakes to make brake temp a good addition - even with tyres it's rare I get really hot tyres nowadays, but that doesn't mean I don't love the contrast between 'cold' tyres and 'nice warm' tyres

+infinity for brake heat and wear (not that I need to do this, as I think Scawen would sooner suck the stomach out of a baboon via it's ears than leave brake stuff out of LFS)
#5 - mr_x
Quote from tristancliffe :
+infinity for brake heat and wear (not that I need to do this, as I think Scawen would sooner suck the stomach out of a baboon via it's ears than leave brake stuff out of LFS)

That's the funniest thing I've read today, not that I've read much in the first 49 minutes of today.

I'd like brake heat/wear, be a good addition and I'm suprised it isn't there already!
Quote from tristancliffe :We don't need overheating brakes to make brake temp a good addition - even with tyres it's rare I get really hot tyres nowadays, but that doesn't mean I don't love the contrast between 'cold' tyres and 'nice warm' tyres

You don't get hot tires because every track is like Britain in the fall. One of my big requests is for variable track and air temperatures. Once we get temps that are less like Western Europe and are more like South Africa or Australia then maybe people will have a reason to use R3 slicks. Air temps will also be a factor once oil and coolant temps are modeled. Even if we don't get changeable/variable temperatures it would be nice if each track had its own conditions based on its location. For instance Fern Bay should be a good bit warmer than Blackwood, morning should be cool while afternoon should be warm and evening somewhere between. It could even be slightly different depeding on the wind. This would add a lot of variables to tire selection without (hopefully) needing a ton of changes in the program itself.

Until we get something like this the Road Supers and R2 slicks are really the only tires to bother with for any race over about 8 laps.
#7 - RaVeR
+1 also the road cars should be less efficent at cooling brakes and should wear quicker a choice of pads compound would be good aswell for short races vs endurence!
actually i would think road cars would have longer wearing pads, as they are intended for long periods between services, at least in street trim, obviously performance pads provide mroe stopping power and wear shorter

im glad to see my idea getting support, and mroe glad you tolerated any typos i missed since im typing this at 5:22 am
it would be good to have this in LFS, but it's not easy to make this improvment. We all hope we'll have this in S3
+1
+1

Brake heat and wear
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG