The online racing simulator
AI with the Openwheel car question
Can you developer for liveforspeed please tell me I waited so long the the S2 patch and still the AI sucks, cant have any fun playing with them. I rarely play online. I mean if you guys can get the car AI right, why not the Open wheel machine, how many year do I have to wait to just have a good race at home.???

Just upset
Sigh... the developers already said there will be an improvement in the AI during the next patch or so... And, the point of LFS is not racing singleplayer, it's racing online that is truly fun.
I just played a quick race

with the cars, the AI rocks and battle with you close
with the Openwheel car they are stupid, they slow down in corner and let you by thereis no fun at all./
The patch with AI fixed I have been waiting for 1 year for that, seems like that part never gets touched, yes online is fun but sometime I dont have time to sit and wait for people. They have AI in the game dont they? its not Netkar is it?
I mean why include open wheel when you dont care of open wheel AI?

if the car AI suck too then I understand, but they dont its just the Openwheel
#6 - SamH
They need practice. You need to give them time to learn the cars. Give them a full tank and 100 laps to race when you go to bed. They'll get better.
#7 - JJ72
the car AI suck as well, really.
Anyway, it would rock if Scawen decided to make AI moddable, with different AI files which you could adjust aggressivity, strategy etc.

Something along the lines of that insect game called Terrarium made to have fun with .NET, where you have to give the parameters for your AI critter to survive. Would be the same but instead of surviving, the goal would be winning the race.

Would be awesome from a programmer point of view - AI tournaments?
Quote from SamH :They need practice. You need to give them time to learn the cars. Give them a full tank and 100 laps to race when you go to bed. They'll get better.

This is a great way to make them good. And trust me, they become quite tough when they get this experience. They still slow down a bit in corners, but they won't let you pass anyways
Do you need to do this for every track/car individually?
#11 - SamH
Quote from Neil777 :Do you need to do this for every track/car individually?

Yeah! LOL!

Scawen's said many times that the AI need improving and that they're on his list of priorities, but he also said many times that the change would be incompatible. I'm not sure why people who were waiting for the compatible Patch V would be disappointed to find no AI improvements, but it's certainly no misrepresentation on the part of the Devs.
On several tracks I've had the problem of the AI screwing up at least one corner as they get faster. On Fern Bay I had XFG's rolling one after the other over the curbing before the main straight. On some tracks the RWD cars do massive powerslides around certain corners until they eventually spin.

I just ran an experiment with a full field of BF1's at the oval and while they do get a lot faster after about 60-70 laps, they also develop that weird wobbling issue where they steer back and forth really quickly in a straight line until eventually they spin out.

Are there any combos where the AI doesn't hit a roadblock?

And I'm not complaining, I know the AI hasn't had the TLC it deserves yet, and to be honest I'd rather it get shifted down the list of priorities a bit. It's nice to have some AI to practice against offline, but like people say, LFS is about the online experience .

BurnOut69: I remember years ago having competitions with the AI to see who could train the fastest one. Your idea would be fun but I doubt it's going to happen .
Quote from SamH :Scawen's said many times that the AI need improving and that they're on his list of priorities, but he also said many times that the change would be incompatible. I'm not sure why people who were waiting for the compatible Patch V would be disappointed to find no AI improvements, but it's certainly no misrepresentation on the part of the Devs.

In fact some of the AI improvements could be done in a compatible patch - for example making them better at staying on the track, understanding that they have tyres that change temperature, etc, etc... Going into the pits deliberately will definitely require an incompatible patch. But there is a lot that can be done in a compatible patch.

And just in case anyone needs to ask why they weren't done in V, which was a compatible patch... there is a limited amount of time, and that's one of a hundred things that could be done. If I did everything that was possible in a compatible patch it would probably take a year or maybe 3 years with no physics changes. At some point the patch has to go out. There are A LOT of things that could be done in a compatible patch, that were not done. Patch V went out as it was because it was a massive improvement over the now buggy and old Version U.

Don't worry, AI will be improved. The unfinished AI are one of tha major reasons why LFS is still called Alpha.
And (not trying to be a smartass or anything like that) to be honest "this" here always picked up my attention:

Yeah i hope the AI eventually gets better and all but...

I think LFS is *really* (as you can see in the picture) geared towards online multiplayer, more than any other racing gaming ever released.
Hell, we even got the best multiplayer features of any racing gaming released too. Wonder why

ps: 1140 players online? that's sweet. whats our record?
Attached images
LFS Online.JPG
Phftt who needs AI
Personal view - LFS is a ONLINE racing SIMULATOR. Single player is like an added bonus, for example, if you were good at a game such as CS:S you wouldn't shoot bots all day, you'd go join a clan and become pr0, I think that you play single player LFS because you suck
Wow CaptainLimbs, ur 1st post Welcome!!
That's abit harsh, isn't it? Saying that he sucks bcos he only plays AI U cant generalise on that. AI is not for players who suck, it's for new beginners to learn what racing lines, trail braking are, etc etc.
P.S. , at liveforspeed.net "LFS News", "LFS S2 Alpha, version V" Hello racers! ....... blahblah ....... We wish u a Happy Christmas!
I got S2 a few weeks ago and have been driving against the ai cars whilst I learn the tracks.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG