The online racing simulator

Poll : What do you think about the new sounds?

Closed since :
Definitely an improvement, a step to right direction.
No big difference, some cars are better, some worse.
I prefer the old version, these muffled sounds give me headache!
OMG, I started to like S1 sounds...
Wow, they are better than in real life!
#51 - Vain
@alland44: Yes, there are quite a lot people here who know how a racecar sounds when you drive it, because we drove a racecar as a driver. But still: LFS really sucks. There is no other term to describe it. LFS's diffs suck, LFS's aero sucks, LFS's sound sucks, LFS's damage system sucks. But it's the best sim we have. No other sim comes close.

Ontopic: I'm using an equalizer to get rid of that strange dampened feel to the sounds. That works pretty well and now I like it a lot. Still far away from reality, but a tiny bit closer than the old sounds.
(I especially like the FZ 50. Nice sound. )

Vain
Quote from alland44 :How many people, know the sounds the racers really hears, wearing a helmet, inside a racecar !?

I know how it sounds from the outside, when cars is passing the crowd.
Do you know how it should sound, inside a racecar Gianni C ??

Pretty sure you can add Scawen to the list of those who don't know, based on what he's said in the past.

Helmets muffle sound, but they don't substantially change the character of it.
Quote from pie :I think the sounds are too clean. For example, most engine sounds are so loud, the human ear will register it with a distortion-like effect.
Specially sitting in the car would blow your ears and can never have such a nice and clean sound.

I've made a quick F1 engine-sound test using some simple 'soft clipping' wich IMHO sounds way better already.

Judge for yourselves:

http://www.e-phonic.com/mp3/original.mp3
http://www.e-phonic.com/mp3/processed.mp3

This should be easy to implement... you can get the C++ sourcecode for this effect from me!

Cheers,
PJ

thanks for demonstrating in files, what i have been saying all along. U could even go for harsher amounts, but thats good enuff.
Quote from alland44 :How many people, know the sounds the racers really hears, wearing a helmet, inside a racecar !?

I know how it sounds from the outside, when cars is passing the crowd.
Do you know how it should sound, inside a racecar Gianni C ??

So people who say it's good know what they're talking about, but people who say it's not so good don't know what they're talking about? I've seen a fair bit of that kind of attitude on these forums in the past.

It's like if I were to post this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvVa3WOUst0 , and state that the BF1 sounds NOTHING like that. No doubt someone with no more actual close-up experience would come along and tell me "That's not a sauber-bmw engine, that microphone could be crap, that's low quality recording, blah blah blah, the BF1 sounds perfect".

BF1 and FO8 sounds are awful, that's my opinion. Value it as little as you want, but don't tell me I can't have a negative opinion because I don't drive an F1 car, whereas you can because, unlike me, you like the sounds (I'm assuming you don't drive an F1 car btw).
Quote from alland44 :How many people, know the sounds the racers really hears, wearing a helmet

how many people are gonna keep repeating sounds in lfs , try to simulate what u hear when wearing a helmet? sound in lfs are helmet-free.
u want helmet sensation? wear one irl.
If the engine exhaust sounds had overdrive distortion applied to them, they would sound almost perfect IMO.
Quote from Dethred :Also, if this is the best that can be done with the sounds, which are a critical part of the simulation experience, please change to the traditional sound sampling. There is no point in making all of us wait years to hear decent sounds while having to deal with these synthetic failures.

Quote from FOUR EYES JOKE SHOP :Why does the best game have the worst sounds? I tried the GT Legends Demo, and drove the Vette. That sounded real. LFS sounds like a 1980s arcade game. I am very disapointed. I drive the Fox the most and it sounds like crap. Sorry to be so negative but, LFS, get REAL.

You both, look at my signature.

In my opinion this is a step in the right direction but not that big difference. It's not drastically different. If it sounded like Todd's sound engine it would be a great improvement. It still "sounds like LFS", it's just slightly different. LX6 and FOX sounds good tho. I'm still curious why make these small additions now with the restrictions of a compatible patch if Scawen is planning to really "remake" the sound in the future.

For these "patch V sounds suck" threads you can only blame the one who decided to put "sound improvements" with capital letters on the front page. That just gives completely wrong picture for players that haven't been playing LFS for months.
I think the mechincal side behind the sound update is promising, and some of the cars are slightly improved (the porsche) but I cannot understand how anyone in there right mind would release the BF1 sounding as it does, unless they are deaf of course.
Yeah, Scawen's been deaf for the last weeks to his friends and family and/or self-conscience

The sound mechanics development for patch V just happened at the "wrong time".
I think this poll would be interesting

PATCH V was intended to provide:

* The most incredible sound package ever available for any game

* The solution to all the woes of LFS sounds.

* A number of minor fixes and some minor sound enhancements

* Don't care, Mom says I'm precious and I can have anything I
want, whenever I want it.
Quote from RichardTowler :I think the mechincal side behind the sound update is promising, and some of the cars are slightly improved (the porsche) but I cannot understand how anyone in there right mind would release the BF1 sounding as it does, unless they are deaf of course.

I was actually quite shocked when I heard the BF1 in the U31 (?) for the first time. I was just mouth open, staring into emptyness. Those U31 sounds should have never been published.

The strangest thing for is that before the latest patch people were saying that the sound is bad but it at least has those slight nyances and stuff what is so peculiar for those engine. Now the sounds are completely different (still as bad imho) and people are saying the same thing. Lots of potential, great step to right direction...
Quote from sinbad :So people who say it's good know what they're talking about, but people who say it's not so good don't know what they're talking about? I've seen a fair bit of that kind of attitude on these forums in the past.

As Sinbad nicely stated in his reaction on what Alland44 said, beside being in a kart with a helmet on I have not a single clue how e.g a F1 or any other racing car sounds in real life. I do know what I hear in LFS and I do can compare that with what I've seen on tv, ... And based upon those things I conclude that the sound of the LFS cars aren't what they are supposed to be. Of course, as you also can notice here: many people have a different and own opionion of 'how it should be'. There is a concensus needed for that, there will always be people who like the final LFS S2 sounds and people who don't.

But as a general LFS lover and racer I just express my "worries" about the sound as it is atm, isn't that what I'm supposed to do as a loyal player ??!
I really dislike it that I can't contribute more due to a lack of technical knowledge but I want to let those people who know the 'know how' and technical terms see that a different opinion then "ye good work devs, very good" is also present. And hoping on that way, that those people go start working and bring us sounds who might help the devs or give them an idea of what we expect as community, real life racers, racing audience, ... from the devs and what we expect our beloved sim to look/sound like.

All I can say more is: community now it's time to work some in these hollidays and let the devs rest, come up with e.g an united collection of how we want the sound to be from every single LFS car. After the hollidays the devs have something to work with: ok the XFG, the community has said this is how a "real XFG" would sound like and how it should be ingame, ..... With that way of working it will demand time and very good organisation (specially from the community side), but like that we will get what we want ànd how it would sound in a racing simulation !
Quote from Hyperactive :Now the sounds are completely different (still as bad imho) and people are saying the same thing. Lots of potential, great step to right direction...

To be fair, the next revision of the sounds will have to be an undeniable improvement in every reasonable aspect (aesthetics, functionality, accuracy...), no less.

The cars don't have to sound like particular real cars, except the replicas, MRT, RAC, BF1. They only have to actually sound like what they are, i.e. the LX6 like an inline 6 with relatively little plumbing, not like a liter motorbike v-twin.

The final version of this sound engine revision should be the only intermediate version of the sounds before S3, right? It's surely worth the short wait.
#64 - VIP
Quote from GianniC :
All I can say more is: community now it's time to work some in these hollidays and let the devs rest, come up with e.g an united collection of how we want the sound to be from every single LFS car. After the hollidays the devs have something to work with: ok the XFG, the community has said this is how a "real XFG" would sound like and how it should be ingame, ..... With that way of working it will demand time and very good organisation (specially from the community side), but like that we will get what we want ànd how it would sound in a racing simulation !

That's a very good idea, in my opinion.

And here's a suggestion of an engine sound for the F-3 car in the game (onboard, Macau 2006):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6XmNYKIrS8
-
(shaun463) DELETED by Bob Smith : spam
-
(shaun463) DELETED by Bob Smith : spam
Quote from VIP :That's a very good idea, in my opinion.

And here's a suggestion of an engine sound for the F-3 car in the game (onboard, Macau 2006):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6XmNYKIrS8

I wouldn't want to FOX to sound like that... because the vid has very crappy sound quality
Hi all,

first of all...thx for patch v

Unfortunately this patch made things worse for me.

1. My controls have gone, I mean I have constant throttle and FF doesn't work anymore. I tried to change it over the menu but couldn't fix it.

2. sounds aren't right...in-game sounds are like my pc hung up.

Did anybody experience problems like that?

Could anybody help...racer in problems!!!!

greets
Max
I'm not really happy with them.

I'm getting more and more convinced there is some hardware issue involved though. I speak people on line that like it and I have spoken people that, like me, can't stand the sound for a second. It's simply unbearable and I can't believe this is the sound the more positive posters have spoken about.

It's hard to explain. It sounds like those old gaming halls you used to have in the 80's with their gambling machines and pinball machines. It's the modulations that seems to be the problem mostly. Driving away from a standstill sounds awkward. Blipping the trottle sounds like Space Invaders.

Guess AC'97 isn't the right way to go. Going back to the !Live again. See if that helps.
I think people will calm down a bit once they become more accustomed to the new engine sounds. There is more detail than before, most cars sound better (IMO) and only a few are worse. They sound more like engines than before though, which is definately good.

There's no point saying "Patch V sounds are crap". No more so than any other patch, so it's not really valid criticism. I suspect the sounds may have had more work if it wasn't so close to xmas, I suspect Scawen wanted to give us a bit of a gift, and also wants a break to relax with his family.

So let's be happy and see if patch W brings further improvements.
Quote from shaun436 :Lol

Quote from shaun436 :
Quote from shaun436 :Lol

?

I can't understand it, but "Quote yourself 2006 Award" goes to you omg, I can not breath

Anyway, after test patches I was scary a bit. But now, new sounds are going towards "That's it!"

Gearbox whine still sounds like sopranos are cut off.
And there is lack of...something; when you kick the gas, gearbox in lfs is whining in chillout, while in some real gtrs', there's "weeweeweeweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound. Not what it is exactly.
Personally, I like the new sounds better for the most part. I think they are lacking at the top end on most cars, but there is only so much you can do with speakers and sound generation.

I do have one comment, and maybe it was said before, but I just wanted to comment.

I think the biggest difference (other than the basic tones) between what we hear in the game and what we hear in the car is the environment.

The way I look at it, the sounds we hear are as if you were driving down the road and there was nothing there but the engine, or nothing there but the transmission, or the exhaust. You then take all those sounds and pipe them to your ears at the same time. You end up with a decent mix, but you are still hearing individual sounds.

In a real car of any type, the whole car, and especially the cabin on a tin top, act like a resonance chamber. Yes, the different structures within the car will muffle sounds, but they will also transmit vibrations throughout the car and what we end up hearing is different from what was originally produced. We end up hearing different sounds, but we also hear mixed sounds and tones that can't really be traced back to just one source. Just try to isolate a noise in your own car some time. What is generating that sound? It is very hard to tell sometimes, especially when you have a squeak or rattle or clunk. You might be able to tell it is coming from the back of the car, but maybe not. It is like a giant mixing chamber that alters sounds enough as to make it more of a symphony than a group of single instruments.
Put the exact same engine, exhaust, transmission, differential, wheels, tires and the same level of sound proofing into two different cars, lets say a XRG and XFG (in the real world) and the cars will sound different while you are in the car. The engine might sound exactly the same as a single component, but the end result in the car will be different.

I think that the team is on the right track for the sounds. More work will be done in the future. What we hear now is great, it is so much more communicative than other sims. It will get better and better as we move forward.
Why is DumpValve gone? The old lovely pshhhhhh. Is it an improvment?

I like the other changes though.
#72 - JTbo
Quote from jenek :Why is DumpValve gone? The old lovely pshhhhhh. Is it an improvment?

I like the other changes though.

Actually it is not, I thought that was, also I thought that turbo whine was gone, but it is not, for me reason was that I play sounds quite low volume and I had put some more bass from my stereo to compensate low bass of headphones. When I set volume to much louder I could hear much more different sounds from lfs and when I adjusted bass to 0 there was all turbo sounds too.
I think this is a big improvement. Example is the UF1000, of all things. It sounds EXACTLY like a little turd of an engine would sound like, the way it revs up and down.

Suggestion to the people who said the new sounds suck: put on some high quality headphones, get the sound to a comfortable level, turn off the s***ty rave music you listen to whilst driving, and just immerse yourself with the sounds of any particular car. You hear all sorts of things that patch U never had. I think this is phenomonal.
Quote from NONo443 :[just a lfs noob's perspective] I think it is a step in the right direction, but I also feel that a good amount of the cars also lost some of their character thanks to the muffled sounds. I hate to sound like a ricer, but if we could have an option to muffle some of the sounds or not, I think that would be great.
[/noob perspective].

On second thought, my opinion has changed now that i've played the new patch, more than last night, and reading this thread a bit. I now am used to the sound being a bit more different than what it was, and feel that if it had more "distortion" (as someone in here mentioned that we do hear things in a distorted kind of way), it would be perfect.
Some people should recognise that listening to a F1 car or any other Race car on TV or a Video sounds nothing like you do hear it as a spectator or as a driver. And its not just about the volume.

Your opinion about Patch V sounds?
(188 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG