i like the sound of the LX6 thats the sound i want to have
really gives a great feeling that "ROAAAR"
but still this problem, its sounds like theres no treble at all.
and i need to increase my volume for lil cars and decrease it for bigger ones because the difference is very big. imo the skid sounds are still not loud enough :/
anyway, good work the LX6 is a good example!
Scawen, is there any chance to have the sounds again when LFS is minimised?
To almost everyone:

Quote from Scawen :But please everyone, no suggestions, just report serious issues. Patch and Full Version V final build is schedules for tomorrow, so I'm really not implementing new features now.

Thanks!

I think the BF1 is getting quite a bit better, actually. All the open wheel cars are working well ( with my system, my ears ).

Great feedback through the sounds, it at least feels to me like I"m better able to judge throttle position when getting off and on the gas to work through turns.

U36 introduces the semi-truck horns( for scooting slower mrts out of the way), and people tooting air horns after a race ?

Seriously, though, I've used the patch(es) for 3 days, and have had no glitches with audio or video, no odd things happening on-line, etc.
Quote from (SaM) :To almost everyone:

No, didn't mean now, or in patch V, but just a question, wheather or not it will be possible in future..
Quote from Boris Lozac :No, didn't mean now, or in patch V, but just a question, wheather or not it will be possible in future..

Wasn't talking to you, ;-)
Anyway, less off-topic, more serious posts please.
Not sure if its me or if I'm noticing more pop ups with U35. I mean the fences at South City appear to be drawing only a few meters in front of me. Do I have a LOD setting that has gone out of whack?
While we are on the subject of sounds, the turbocharger sound needs some help. Right now, it sounds like an oscilliscope sound, but in real life you hear what sounds like a jet engine revving up. We need the air whooshing sound of an intake to go along with the oscilliscoping to actually get that turbo sound!

BTW great job so far on the engine sounds! The cars all sound more race ready now!
LFS updater is a good feature, but I'd like an additional EXE which has a sole purpose of checking/installing updates. It just seems like a lot of dicking around starting up LFS, downloading the patch, being thrown out of LFS, then waiting for LFS to restart. Or maybe I'm just lazy .

An independent 'LFS Updater' EXE would not require much RAM at all to run, so users wouldn't have to wait at the loading screen twice just to install a patch. This EXE would complement the existing system, not replace it.

Also, because I'm quite busy at the moment with my 'real' work, I will currently only play LFS when I know there is an update. Being able to quickly check when I turn on my computer in the morning will let me know if I can get straight into my work or whether I will become a slave to LFS for an hour

+1 or -1 ?
Quote from geezer45 :LFS updater is a good feature, but I'd like an additional EXE which has a sole purpose of checking/installing updates. It just seems like a lot of dicking around starting up LFS, downloading the patch, being thrown out of LFS, then waiting for LFS to restart. Or maybe I'm just lazy .

An independent 'LFS Updater' EXE would not require much RAM at all to run, so users wouldn't have to wait at the loading screen twice just to install a patch. This EXE would complement the existing system, not replace it.

Also, because I'm quite busy at the moment with my 'real' work, I will currently only play LFS when I know there is an update. Being able to quickly check when I turn on my computer in the morning will let me know if I can get straight into my work or whether I will become a slave to LFS for an hour

+1 or -1 ?

I disagree, a separate patching .exe file would need a separate download as well. Even if LFS notifies you there's a new patch, it would take 8x as much time to look it up, download it, run it and open LFS again.
Now it's just one click in LFS you just sit back and let it do all the stuff needed.
A separate "patching exe file" could be distributed by the current update system, it could be designed as a launcher, notifying you if there is an update (and performing the updates), launching the game if there isn't one. In my opinion this is a slightly better design, avoiding the restart for players who want tracks loaded as LFS starts, alerting and updating for players who don't race online very often and keeping the update code separated from LFS itself.

That said, the current system is very good.
Quote from Impreza WRX :While we are on the subject of sounds, the turbocharger sound needs some help. Right now, it sounds like an oscilliscope sound, but in real life you hear what sounds like a jet engine revving up. We need the air whooshing sound of an intake to go along with the oscilliscoping to actually get that turbo sound!

BTW great job so far on the engine sounds! The cars all sound more race ready now!

:sadbanana

Have you downloaded the patch?

I've said the same thing for eons - and he DID it. Note that the turbine sound is no longer the (single) sine wave it used to be, it has a few frequencies much more like a real impeller... AND, the air rushing sound has been added . It's already far better than it was - progress has been made!
Quote from (SaM) :I disagree, a separate patching .exe file would need a separate download as well. Even if LFS notifies you there's a new patch, it would take 8x as much time to look it up, download it, run it and open LFS again.
Now it's just one click in LFS you just sit back and let it do all the stuff needed.

Sorry, I should make myself more clear. I meant that the .exe doesn't just notify you if there's a patch, it actually gives you the option to download the patch. So basically this would allow you to download and install the patch before even opening LFS.

The way I see it, you open the .exe and it connects to the master server solely to work out if a new patch is available. If there is no new patch, you will be informed that you're using the latest version. If there is a patch, you will have the option to automatically download and install it. Then, depending on your settings, you will either click on the 'Start LFS' button or LFS will launch automatically. The .exe will close before the actual game .exe opens. There would also be an 'Exit' and 'Start LFS' button on the screen most of the time (all the time except for when the patch is downloading).

Does that explain it better?

Edit: Thought I should mention this again - this updater .exe would complement the current updating system. They would co-exist.
Engine sounds have gotten a lot better. Not all the way there, but closer. Turbo sound is still bad.

Here's a 2.5L V6 (MX6) turbocharged. This car makes only a slight bit more than the in-game XR GT.

http://videos.streetfire.net/s ... dac-8167-9847002c95c2.htm
Great video, you can really hear that that turbocharger sucks
Quote from Scawen :It just plays the left pipe a tiny bit louder in your left ear and the right pipe a bit louder in your right ear. This is good because with headphones on, the sound doesn't seem to be coming from a point in the middle of your head.

I have not been able to solve this problem with single pipe engines though which only have one sound source. The separation methods I tried gave bad results, like I wanted to turn my head sideways, etc. So they are a bit too "mono".

But it works nicely in the V and flat engines, giving a "fuller" sound.

I'm an engineer and I do work in signal processing, but have limited experience in sound processing. However, that said, I have a few comments:

1. You are getting a fuller sound since you are effectively adding a simple form of reverberation. Depending on the frequencies present in the engine sound and the delay that you add you can actually work out what kinds of effects you are introducing in the frequency domain. I'm guessing that it will be low pass in nature, but you could be introducing a null (like a notch filter) in the sound if the separation is large enough.

2. Have you tried using a smaller delay (equivalent to the separation of the left and right ears) for the single exhaust case? This could be a simple hack/fix and would give you a similar effect as you're experiencing, just more subtle.

You may already do some of this already, but if you really want a more realistic sound model then you'll have to (in no particular order):

1. Model reverberation from the cabin.

2. Model reverberation from the driver's head, chest and pinna. This is usually done with a head related transfer function (HRTF). You will probably get the most pronounced improvement in sound localisation using this technique as our brains are accustomed to receiving such information.

3. Model the position of the driver's ears in real time. This can provide a great deal of immersiveness as the sound that the driver hears changes as his head moves via the g-forces that he/she experiences. Just like stereo vision, such movement can give better sound localisation in 3D space.

I'm just trying to be quick in this post, PM me if you'd like more detailed info.
Gentlemen, start your engines! For those that haven't noticed, a starting engine sound has now been added. Try it out by shutting down the engine with I and restarting it.
Attached files
engine start.mp3 - 391 KB - 422 views
Quote from (SaM) :Gentlemen, start your engines! For those that haven't noticed, a starting engine sound has now been added. Try it out by shutting down the engine with I and restarting it.

LOL sweet never noticed that!!!
nice job! I especially like the autoupdate feature, and the sound of the gearbox in the road going cars while in reverse.
but since new sounds have been introduced - I cant hear the turbos, is there a cure for this?
I once again apologize for offtopic, but I'd really like to address special thanks for Scawen, the amount work you have done recently is really making me smile even though I havent touched (and unfortunately won't) LFS in weeks!

Keep up the good work!
after downloading and installing a patch over the auto-update the game crashes when choosing "show server list". This only happens once, when in "windowed mode while connecting" and the FireWall wants authorization for changed LfS.exe

I don't know the english in-game-terms marked with "", but I hope you know what I mean
Quote from AndreABG :after downloading and installing a patch over the auto-update the game crashes when choosing "show server list". This only happens once, when in "windowed mode while connecting" and the FireWall wants authorization for changed LfS.exe

I don't know the english in-game-terms marked with "", but I hope you know what I mean

that's normal, it only happens because your firewall detects that LFS.exe has been changed
yes that the firewall asks is normal, but not that LfS and the hole System freezes!
Make sure you turn off "window when connecting", I think it can sometimes cause problems with certain systems.
Quote from geezer45 :LFS updater is a good feature, but I'd like an additional EXE which has a sole purpose of checking/installing updates. It just seems like a lot of dicking around starting up LFS, downloading the patch, being thrown out of LFS, then waiting for LFS to restart. Or maybe I'm just lazy .

+1 or -1 ?

Maybe you should check that you have the quick start mode enabled....

Starting LFS takes uhmm.. 2 seconds?

Options - Misc - Load track when starting
This thread is closed

TEST Patch U35 (obsolete)
(382 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG