I don't know for sure if this will help make a decision, but on the topic of skid sounds you can confidently crank up the volume inside the car. Outside too.

My own real-life experience is that tyre squeal is very piercing.. and it travels well! Probably everyone will recall hearing a car screeching to a stop, many streets away, even if the car is far enough away that they can't hear the sound of the engine.

When you're at the race track, there are points around the track where you can't hear the cars's engines as they race around.. but you can always track their progress because you can hear their tyres, when they lean hard around a corner, or skid into a wall.

I've come to the conclusion that the sound of tyres screeching travels by subspace, and covers much greater distance than normal sounds.
I'm starting to like these sounds more and more. After some more racing even the FXO isn't too bad during a race. The overall greater detail hugely improves the immersion IMO, and the muffled outer sounds make you feel more like actually being "in" the car. There's also something that just feels right when you aggressively downshift, especially in the RB4 (though it's an uncompetitive slow pig).
Quote from SamH :I've come to the conclusion that the sound of tyres screeching travels by subspace, and covers much greater distance than normal sounds.

I think it has to do with the pitch, lower pitch sounds gets masked easier with other ones like your engine and the surrounding cars, but a higher pitch sound like blocking a tyre "escapes" the masking.

I'm no sound experto, so maybe I'm missing the point completely
No no no, go away with your "science" approach, high pitched sound clearly takes the subspace train.
Recording somehow works now (only mono and I have to set it to "microphone" instead of the appropriate "stereo mix"). So, here's the weird sound "off the line" I was talking about (just shortly after the recording begins):
Attached files
ufr_start.mp3 - 519.3 KB - 294 views
bug...
hi dunno if this is a bug or just a PATCH U/U32 thing or general BUT:

when i start driving (now as example with xfr) and i accelerate, lets say to 100 kmh in 3rd gear and i just take my foot from hitting gas the engine/air intake/turbo slows down normal.

but when i clutch at 100 kmh in 3rd gear all is turned off... it sounds like i turned off my engine!! thats not normal or am i stupid?! almost every cars engine wont stop working/spinning just couz i hit the clutch.

what u think?
What do you mean?

(And in your sig you say "AMD 3 GHz", would that be a "3000" or a CPU clocked at 3 GHz?)
Quote from Jakg :What do you mean?

(And in your sig you say "AMD 3 GHz", would that be a "3000" or a CPU clocked at 3 GHz?)

LOL, to overclock a AMD cpu to 3ghz you would need liquid nitrogen to cool it!
Quote from wheel4hummer :LOL, to overclock a AMD cpu to 3ghz you would need liquid nitrogen to cool it!

Wrong.

I've seen 3700's, and Opty 165's hit 3 GHz using air cooling, and 3000's hitting 3 GHz on air (although not stable!)
Quote from Jakg :Wrong.

I've seen 3700's, and Opty 165's hit 3 GHz using air cooling, and 3000's hitting 3 GHz on air (although not stable!)

Jeez... guys, you really like to spam, don't you?
If i say now, Japanese cars are better then German, you would start an argument in 5 pages long...
Can't you just ignore some posts and stick to the subject..
well said. stop spamming the thread, pls stick to the point.
Quote from Fordman :

I know CSR uses pre-recorded sounds from other game, and if you up the timing on the programe, it works in time with LFS, but maybe its time for LFS to look in this direction? There is plenty of royalty free sounds out there to play with?

No no no please no..

The sounds in LFS now already sound so much like other games, LFS (Pre U32) sounds where unique. They were not perfect, everyone will admit that, but please, no more in this direction of sounds..

I want to have time to test them all out, and give a full verdict of my personal feelings towards all cars, but Ill do that in another thread.

Other options with U32 seem great to me
redo my bugtest please now with me together...

use xfr on oval

acc to 200 kmh, stop hitting gas, listen

what u listen?

engine slows down, sure
pfffts and weeees slow down with engine, sure

acc. to 200 kmh again , stop hitting gas, CLUTCH OUT and hold clutchbutton, listen

what u listen?

nothing anymore! no pfft no weeeees no engine

clutch out and in fast in a row (every sec)...

listen the thing i mean... thats not normal behavior or am i really stupid?

made a video... click here for video [11MB]
Quote from MoonForce :redo my bugtest please now with me together...

use xfr on oval

acc to 200 kmh, stop hitting gas, listen

what u listen?

engine slows down, sure
pfffts and weeees slow down with engine, sure

acc. to 200 kmh again , stop hitting gas, CLUTCH OUT and hold clutchbutton, listen

what u listen?

nothing anymore! no pfft no weeeees no engine

clutch out and in fast in a row (every sec)...

listen the thing i mean... thats not normal behavior or am i really stupid?

Try hearing your engine idling at 200kph irl... Tyre and wind noises are way too loud. In most road cars even engine reving at 5000rpm (and while doing 200kph) the engine sound blends out between others. It's just too silent compared to other noises.
- can someone please post the U30 zip.

please
Is it me or do most of the cars sound the same now?.. they sound good but.. the uf1 sounds like the XRT to me..
Quote from MoonForce : blah

The gear whine stops because there is no torque being tranferred through them. In the GTRs, it should probably just be really quiet and not stop altogether. It should only be really loud when there is load on the transmission though, so this is correct behaviour.
[0.5 U32]

When you're using outside views the sound still very much sounds like you're inside the car with your helmet and earplugs on.
Quote from Scawen :

Misc :
Mirror mode for driver and custom views (now in view options)
Added "all" to clocks mode options (off, real, virtual, all)

I have some problems with those options, could someone explain pls.

Mirror mode was in display options in U30, now it's gone from there but I can't see it in view options. Not a big problem because there's also shift+m keyboard shortcut and I can always use that instead.

I'm also unable to find clocks mode option from the menu, is there supposed to be a keyboard shortcut for that too ?
U32
Just trying to join STCC server(U32Host) had this message from LFS.

after clicking "OK" the player already connecting message came up.

probably just a 1off

SD.
Attached images
U32 message.PNG
Quote from eckh1 :I have some problems with those options, could someone explain pls.

Mirror mode was in display options in U30, now it's gone from there but I can't see it in view options. Not a big problem because there's also shift+m keyboard shortcut and I can always use that instead.

I'm also unable to find clocks mode option from the menu, is there supposed to be a keyboard shortcut for that too ?

You have to be in a race to be able to see those options...
wtf
nvm got it
Attached images
untitled.JPG
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG