The online racing simulator
Quote from trackah123 :i like the idea of this new sound..

except for the engine sound itself (engine folder .eng files).. because all cars kinda sounds the same.. no real difference..

the engine sound itself needs to be changed.. less muffled.. and every car needs a different kind of engine sound.

but the turbo. shiftsounds etc sounds pretty good tbh ..

Seems like no one reads Scawen or the thread.....

DON'T REPEAT ALWAYS THE SAME THING PLEASE!!

Scawen do the best he can, be patient!
When I go into Shift+U mode, I can load various layouts. Previously there had to be an "Set as default"-button, but when loading a different layout as the currently being default it's not there anymore.
Quote from Lato :Sorry to say, but the new engine sounds are much worser than before (how is that possible). I really wish You could use just sound samples, easier and much better. Anyway Im looking forward for sound tweakimg with next patches.

Easier: yes - better: no; and about saying "it's worse" you don't help anybody, you have to say what exactly is worse else Scawen won't be able to tell what's wrong. And if you had read the whole thread, you'd know that Scawen is already/still working on further sound improvements
Quote from Lato :I really wish You could use just sound samples, easier and much better. Anyway Im looking forward for sound tweakimg with next patches.

I really think many will disagree with you here, please don't go to samples. The system is getting there and I think with a week's tweaking etc, it can sound REALLY good. If you want to use samples go use CSR.
I have to say, even though the sounds are off in some cars, the immersion while racing isn't bad
Quote from AndroidXP :I have to say, even though the sounds are off in some cars, the immersion while racing isn't bad

adding... i really love the new sounds esp when u racing hard next to each other... sounds way better now, more real couz u listen others mufflers while listening yours NOT
Unmentioned suggestions
I have a couple things to mention:

1) The air rushing in sound* on the NA cars is too loud. I could see if the way it is now only lasted a split second (when you go from little / 0 throttle to much higher / max, in an NA car IRL, you get a quick transient "surge" while the pressure in the intake manifold equalizes with the external pressure..... try it. (By transient surge, I mean you can hear it for like 1/3 of a second...)

2) The air rushing in sound* on the turbo cars should be more related to the impeller's speed. It should not be instant like it is right now. If possible, in both situations maybe try and tie that sound directly to how many FT^3/SEC is being consumed by the engine - but the sound should not really be linear with this. It should be less at first and drastically increase as velocity into the same sized inlet it increased. Hope that makes sense....

3) Gear whine in road cars - For a car like the LX4, it's probably fine AS IS at lower speeds (1st, maybe part of 2nd gear type speeds) However, in the road cars as speed increases the audible gear whine should be less and less as the windnoise etc drowns it out. That's why it sounds out of place - at 200KM/H you're not going to hear gearwhine in a typical road car! I think the GTRs sound perfect; with straight cut gears at high speeds under huge loads they will just scream, just like they do now

4) Apart from wind noise, ROAD NOISE seems to me missing... The lovely sound of tires droning along, I thought we used to have this? Road noise is a big part of the sound in a road car from 50kish up

*if it's NOT air rushing in; then I don't know what it is
Quote from DaveWS :Hehe, not sure how this is constructive in any way, but listen to these.
http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... id=20984&d=1166366678

Hey, that doesnt sound too bad, If you could adjust this with the rpm, so the effect could get bigger the higher the revs are, you could be on to something. Sort of what Tagforce was saying, the higher the RPM the higher the treble, makes perfect sence
Hi Scawen,

I've had a look through the thread and I don't think anyone else has commented on the fact that if the map is set to right, it is not visible during qualifying. It's fine for the race, but as soon as the qualifying positions are shown it's not visible. You have to set it to left to view it. The map is useful when looking for a clear area to do a good lap

Just double checked - the map is shown on the right, until someone completes a lap, the qualifying time is then shown and the map disappears.
Having been away from LFS for almost half a year, I feel i can judge the new sounds somewhat objective (no offense to anybody, but how you receive sound has a lot to do with what you're used to). I just got to playing it two days before U32, so there was not much time for me to get used to the old sounds.

Anyway. Although I'm repeating what some ppl have saif already, I have to say that the new sounds are, imho, a big step forward in two major departements. The first is informativeness. LFS was always good in this area, but U32 is even better. The second is immersion in which gear whine is a major factor. I'm finding it very believable especially in the small GTRs. And the LX6 is a blast! A full field of LX6es is like days of thunder, external and internal. Great job on this one!

Here's the useful part of this post: The GTRs and especially the small ones do have a major sound problem "off the line". Not sure if it's the gear whine or the spinning wheels (I guess gear whine), but there's a very strange very synthetic sounding noise, which is very present when you don't hit the right revs at starting and revs are dropping. I would record it, to illustrate better what I'm referring to, but for some reason it does not work on my machine with the programs I tried. (They just don't record much besides some hissing ...)

Well, thx for the patch, it's definitely an improvement!
@TRM.13

I'm sorry if i "repeated" myself .. but i just downloaded the testpatch .. tested it out and gave my opinion about the sounds here..
i had to search for scawens thread.. it was on page 9 sorry..
Quote from KayJay :Hi Scawen,

I've had a look through the thread and I don't think anyone else has commented on the fact that if the map is set to right, it is not visible during qualifying. It's fine for the race, but as soon as the qualifying positions are shown it's not visible. You have to set it to left to view it. The map is useful when looking for a clear area to do a good lap

Just double checked - the map is shown on the right, until someone completes a lap, the qualifying time is then shown and the map disappears.

To add to this and the few earlier comments, at the end of the race, with the map shown on the right, once the leader crosses the finish line the map disappears. I know the results are now shown in that space, but I still need/want the map. I often carry on racing if I have fuel left, just for the practise.
Is it possible to just bump the map down when the results come in? Actually, it might be nicer to have the results appear below the map if its displayed on the right.

Quote from john :Updated from 30 to 32.
Car's steering wheel turns isn't shown in steering settings!
Why?

EDIT: Reistalled U30 and U32 patch fixed problem

I can still see the steering wheel turn in U32. Not sure why you dont
There have been a lot of positive comments on the LX6. I certainly think its the best sounding of the new lot BUT:

There's too much gear whine. At the moment that kinda adds to the engine sound because it lacks those frequencies anyway, so the engine still needs some mid-high and high frequencies added to it. Then, with less gear whine and more wind noise, it will sound spot on I think.
Quote from mantis9 :
I can still see the steering wheel turn in U32. Not sure why you dont

No, he means in the settings screen where it shows how many native degrees the car's steering has (IE, the LX4 said "CARS STEERING WHEEL TURNS 720")
Quote from axus :so the engine still needs some mid-high and high frequencies added to it.

What it actually needs is an engine added to it. Currently there's just an area of combustion floating in mid-air.
That's why it sounds so hollow and uniform. There is no manifold, no engine block, no exhaust pipe, no muffler, no tailpipe. The sound analysis shows that pretty clearly.

Vain
a bit of regugitating here but done after a lot of review and some more or less extensive frequency domain analysis of the sounds:
imho the main problems the sound currently has are these
- way too clean
- only the exaust note of the engine itself
i realize you have stated earlier that the sound system will progress as the engine sim progresses and you probably think what ill say sounds like a botch job
but imho the sound really need a lot more layers than it currently has
from what ive seen it looks like the engine sound is mixed with only two sources which is the strictly harmonic engine note and the turbo

what you should do is add at least 2 different sources to the mix; which would be intake noise and some mechanical noises like bucket tappet noise
then change the main engine noise to something a lot noiser (an acctual explosion sound)
and last filter those 3 noises through at least 3 channels with different time delays and synth then together:
- noise conducted through the cars body
- direct line of sight path noise
- noise filtered through the exhaust and the cars insulation

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :1) The air rushing in sound* on the NA cars is too loud. I could see if the way it is now only lasted a split second (when you go from little / 0 throttle to much higher / max, in an NA car IRL, you get a quick transient "surge" while the pressure in the intake manifold equalizes with the external pressure..... try it. (By transient surge, I mean you can hear it for like 1/3 of a second...)

imho all cars dont have enough intake noise ... goes with what i said above

Quote :2) The air rushing in sound* on the turbo cars should be more related to the impeller's speed. It should not be instant like it is right now. If possible, in both situations maybe try and tie that sound directly to how many FT^3/SEC is being consumed by the engine - but the sound should not really be linear with this. It should be less at first and drastically increase as velocity into the same sized inlet it increased. Hope that makes sense....

from watching a few dyno vids the turbo intake sound on the gtr should probably drown out the engine quite a bit at high revs

Quote :3) Gear whine in road cars - For a car like the LX4, it's probably fine AS IS at lower speeds (1st, maybe part of 2nd gear type speeds) However, in the road cars as speed increases the audible gear whine should be less and less as the windnoise etc drowns it out. That's why it sounds out of place - at 200KM/H you're not going to hear gearwhine in a typical road car! I think the GTRs sound perfect; with straight cut gears at high speeds under huge loads they will just scream, just like they do now

my punto has a a very distinctive gear whine at lower speeds (probably form turturing it a bit over the last couple of years ... but that applies to the xfg as well) although it sounds a lot different than the whine lfs currently has
also on the w201 16v a friend of mine had you could hear the diff whine at autobahn speeds at a certain throttle position and speed (it was humming more than whining) ... and some other 16v freak instantly commented on how the diff was extremely quite (ie not audible) at low speeds on his car
Quote from Scawen :The thing is, it's maybe not that bad an idea to "open the windows" a tiny bit just so it sounds "better". Someone here mentioned they did that in their road car on the track and I sometimes open them a crack too on the road, just to hear more because the exhaust is SO quiet with all the windows shut.

Maybe we need open windows as part of the setup!

But if you set the windows to open, wouldn't you also get more aerodynamic drag?
Another thing to look at...the AI racers are majorly LAME even in "Pro" mode.

Vette
U32 seams fine, still get a few clicks whien selecting cars and other options as if its waiting to load but not as bad as U30

Sounds are getting there but on race cars it needs to be more raw and not so perfect. They boom so much they are giving me a headache

http://www.renaudkuppens.be/vi ... board_imola_FIA_GT_HQ.wmv gives an idea of a Dog Box whine. Currently U32 is a bit like a washing machine spinning up and down as its all revs related, with a Dog Box in a race car the sound is more suspension and bounce related as well.

The BF1, enough said....

Finally if you can take the Potato out of the GTR's exhausts the sound would be more like it.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :No, he means in the settings screen where it shows how many native degrees the car's steering has (IE, the LX4 said "CARS STEERING WHEEL TURNS 720")

Thats what I meant as well, I just didnt explain it very well
Its still there for me.
Good, but not great
I think all the updates to the menus etc are good. The sounds are fine but no better or no worse than the last.

However there will always be people unhappy with however it sounds, sort of an impossible task getting it right for everyone.

Good work, but still to 'Synthetic' for my liking.

It's like Piano sounds being played on a keyboard. Sounds good, but a real piano sounds like a real piano and a keyboard doesn't.
Well it's good to see scawen is playing with sound again Don't act like this is definitive, it's a good time to discuss sound and try to improve it, so let's make the most of it

My 2c about the sound:

There are strange things here and there, specially with the openwheelers, I hear lot's of crackling and strange sounds, not the fine 20K RPM screaming you would expect

I love the gear change sound, I would like it to be more "mechanic" ("clonk") if you know what I mean, but great addition anyways

About the gear whine, at cruise speed sound great but there are strange sounds at idle engine speeds.

But as I said, It's great to see you playing with sound again

A small suggestion:
Could we have more volume sliders for the new sounds? Or something else, so we can choose to hear only this or that sound(engine, tyres, air, whine...), or a combination of them. That way the community could analyse the sounds better (I think).
found something in the options section:

redundance:
ctrl+ and alt+ assigning is availble 2 places (Controls and Game) ?

Also, what is Gearshift Debounce in the Misc section ?
Quote from Zaeka :The sounds are now very strange no crakling or something but i dont like them i wont the U30 sounds they are much better i think...

Same here.

The sound of the turbo sounds as an airplane.
I'll go back to U30, from this sound I get a headache when I play with a headset.
Quote from Sp3cTr3 :Also, what is Gearshift Debounce in the Misc section ?

That is the minimum delay between gearshifts. Some older wheels have the nasty habit of repeatedly sending a "button pressed" input when you use the paddles, resulting in multiple up-/downshifts. The debounce prevents these double-shifts, and depending on the severity you might have to increase this value to get rid of them completely.

If your wheel is new or doesn't do these double shifts, simply set it to minimum.
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG