The online racing simulator
ok well i can't say i've ever heard the gear whine in my car.. ever.. or in any car i've ever been in to be honest

plus.. why does it whine when the car is in neutral? anyone figure that one out? after you punch the gas in neutral and then release it immediately you can hear it whine (and im talking about any car here, UF1k to the BF1) they all do it

oh i forgot to mention that besides liking the LX6, i do also like the FOX

and another thing i forgot to mention, yes the turbo is literally.. silent here too

god i can't remember anything, i do however LOVE the new smoke and how much longer it lasts, its much better now; but the grass still needs to be a totally different texture and amount of "dust" pickup
I have a few improvement idea for the sounds. First of all, every car should have its own sound enviroinment. Some real car manufacturers have also people tuning the sound enviroinment for the cars (like BMW).
Second, the exhaust sound should be added so that there are more sound behind the car and less at front of the car.
Third. I would like to hear much more higher frequency sounds.
@askoff, there is, listen to a car driveby in LFS or use inside view and then switch to chase view and you can hear a totally different sound

that was something new that came out at the beginning of S2 anyway

they do however.. actually they most likely are the same sound at a different pitch but, its better having multiple sources than 1 like in S1
they do need a larger difference though
I just downloaded the patch and I think its horrable. The car sounds are very bad. I'll take the stock ones. and I couldn't figure out how to get my wheel setup with it. the options look the same as test patch U30. I drove with the mouse and was still disapointed. I'm going back to U30
options looked the same??

hell it took me like 10 minutes trying to find where it was to turn the centermirror off.. and i kept loosing where it was its rediculously different

i do like it though, plenty of options.. although not all work ei: wont show the map on the right side of screen for some reason (or atleast it doesn't when finished places are up, i didn't check if it appeared when that was off)
Quote from XCNuse :plus.. why does it whine when the car is in neutral? anyone figure that one out?

Because there are still gears rotating in the differential, and transmission.
in neutral..?

lol last time i checked no gear in the trans is moving when a car is in neutral
Skid sounds are a little... soft. They can't be excessively loud, but skid volume at max sounds as if I was at home with cars skidding. The XRT sounds boring too
@BWX
Wow I actually agree with you... I wonder if hell HAS frozen over?
Quote from XCNuse :plus.. why does it whine when the car is in neutral? anyone figure that one out? i do however LOVE the new smoke and how much longer it lasts, its much better now; but the grass still needs to be a totally different texture and amount of "dust" pickup

Just tried replicating "gear whine in neutral" with the LX6, can't. Got going in 1st, slipped the shifter into N, gear whine immediately ceased - no load on the gears. Parked, when into N, revved nothing. CLutch in / out, nothing. Anyone else get this?

NEW SMOKE? *goes to test

Incidentally I do like how the gear whine is actually attached to the physics in LFS... Clutching in at speed make it stop, then if you quickly let it out you can hear the gears being tortured for a split second
Quote from XCNuse :in neutral..?

Actually, they are all moving all the time if the clutch is out . The dog wheels just have none of the ratios engaged to the output shaft.

I used to drive a POS truck where I could hear the input shaft & gears whirring away with the clutch out in N. Never noticed it in a non POS vehicle though.

Actually, with the wind noise up, the tire noise up, and the engine noise mostly down... Take the RAC out for a spin - it sounds really really good IMO.
New sounds are sweet but really, i have to complain about tire sound volume, its Way too low, sorry but thats really affecting my driving feedback, even if i max tire sound and low engine sounds it is still very low inside cockpit
i dont know, i just especially noticed it in one car.. er.. now which was it, .. let me check

uh.. maybe i was hearing something? okay this is weird..

oh i think i know what it was, in the LX6 is just has a whine sound, so thats probably what it was

i think we all agree on a few things here:
skid sounds are WAAAY to quiet no matter what
engine sounds can use some improvement but of course are in the right direction (er.. i hope? we got a few new folders so how bad could it be right?)
options are nice
and.. we can't hear the turbos unless we turn up the sound so loud we go deaf.. in which case we wouldn't be able to hear it anyways because.. then we would be deaf

i actually have one other thing i need to comment on
..buttons, when the computer is computing, and it keeps making that mouse click sound, and it repeats it several times.. that is VERY annoying (had that problem since U30 i believe)
bug: move speed slider in shift-u overhead cam mode doesnt have any effect (move speed is taken from the slider setting in low cam mode)

actually i think all sounds except the engine are too low in u32 ... button clicks are a lot quieter as well

Quote from Vain :Some more sound analysis. This time taken under different conditions:
Car flipped to the roof, no wind, 7000 rpm. But I forgot to disengage the gear. The results are obvious enough anyway. I wrote the numbers of the firing cylinders and the names of the car.
Like a sine-wave, I told you. Interesting how especially the XRT felt dead boring to listen to. This is the reason why.

Vain

its not a sine at all ... it is however perfectly harmonic (all the way across the rev band) which is the reason why it sounds boring
todds samples have a whole bunch of am characteristics with varying amplitudes and frequencies which is the main reason why it does sound like an engine ... not everything is as perfectly in synch as it currently is in lfs
Quote from XCNuse :in neutral..?

Well, there is the output shaft, and there are gears that are attatched to that even while in neutral, arent there?
Quote from wheel4hummer :Well, there is the output shaft, and there are gears that are attatched to that even while in neutral, arent there?

Yep, thats why you can't just slam it in reverse when your parallel parking, you have to wait for the the OS to stop spinning first, but i don't think it would make any sound without gear to gear contact.
Quote from ORION :Generally, the sounds went from bssss (S1) to brrrrr (S2) to brooooom (U32).
what I want is rrroooooaaaaawrwrrwrrwararararrrrrrr

ahahaha that cracked me up
quite close to the truth. nice sinthesis ability there.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :ahahaha that cracked me up
quite close to the truth. nice sinthesis ability there.

It's called onomatopoeia.....is a word that imitates the sound it represents.
Quote from Hurts2bStock : without gear to gear contact.

But the gears ARE turning, there's just no load on them so they probably won't say much. Every ratio in your manual transmission is contantly turning, provided the input shaft is turning. Every gear is always enmeshed with his buddy on the other shaft - When you switch gears, a certain ratio is locked to the shaft and pow, that's the gear the transmission is in (hence the need for synchromesh - to match the gears current speed to the shaft's actual speed). All other ratios rotate freely and simultaneously even when not engaged
Quote from Hurts2bStock :Yep, thats why you can't just slam it in reverse when your parallel parking, you have to wait for the the OS to stop spinning first, but i don't think it would make any sound without gear to gear contact.

the gears are always in contact with each other but as long as theres no torque transfered through them they are silent
plus the main noise you hear is from the differential which on most cars is the part of the transmission that has the tightest mechanical (and thus sound guiding) connection to the cars body
Quote from amp88 :I really hope the sounds can be modified before the release of patch V in the next few days.

most important part of patch imo, was assuring they can

Quote from Hurts2bStock :It's called onomatopoeia.....is a word that imitates the sound it represents.

sure i know what an onomatopeia is, thanks for recalling the latin roots of my native tongue
the nice synthesis is in the staging of the events thru onamatopeias in relation to lfs dev thrutime, not in the onamatopeias themselves.
-
(KiDCoDEa) DELETED by KiDCoDEa
synthesis.
I went out in an XFR earlier. Gotta say I loved the new sound. Definitely not all bad

I did get a crash, though. Unfortunately I forgot to have Dr Watson on at the time. It crashed when trying to go to spectate, while a race was restarting (during the countdown). I'll be trying to emulate it again with Dr W.
Thanks for the patch Scawen!
I personally like how most of the new cars sound...especially the mrt, the fox and the fo8!
I agree that the bf1 sounds strange, and that the sounds need some levelling...
I love the new options too, like virtual and real mirrors/speedometers.

As for people worrying about the new sounds I believe it's safe to say that Scawen won't drop something he thinks isn't good yet...

Don't be too harsh because I'm afraid he'll do a kunos...

Quote from KiDCoDEa :
sure i know what an onomatopeia is, thanks for recalling the latin roots of my native tongue

Onomatopoeia is a greek word, not latin.

edit: Anyway I won't continue this discussion because this is a test patch thread...though I still don't agree.
hint: little flag next to my nickname
Quote from Paranoid Android :Onomatopoeia is a greek word, not latin.

wrong. onamatopeia is a latin word (onomatopœia to be exact). Based on the greek word which is

seriously why are u guys trying to teach me something i know? hell wanna teach me something, try to explain to me why love is fire that burns without being seen.

and ffs, please detect the rhetorical nature of the previous sentence.
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG