The online racing simulator
Happy Birthday (EAGLE)Dygear!!!

Ups, wrong subfolder.

BTW: I was interested in my old love so I installed the test patch 2343,641 or 2343,642 or so. Blaster is right. Sounds crap. LFS was IMHO much better before patch q.
I must say the sounds are very promising. I feel many people are unrealisticly difficult about them.

Overal my opinion is, listening on a high end soundsystem;
The sound now consists of so many more details and it feels much more like real life. Which is the ultimate goal of this SIM. Skid soundlevel is perfect as standard, you really can tell the skids are coming from outside the car.

Allready I like it a lot more. I see how much is possible by just equalizing/mixing what we have now. Yes some cars sound a bit off. But overal it is increadible for what is a new sound system. And the system is great. The sounds delivered in this testpatch are more than good enough in showing the potential.

(And I never drive the BF1 anyway)
omg these new sounds suck

we have a hairdryer, a jet engine, and other assorted appliances.

just sent my unlock request im back to u
its a step up i guess, gear whines shouldn't be heard in the more standard daily commute cars though thats for sure

tire squeels are WAAAy to quiet now, even though i have them boosted up to full they are juts way quieter than they are in real life

the cars do sound extremely similar now though, but its a step away from the normal so i can't complain

i do however like the new sound the LX6 makes (haven't heard the 4) but its fantastic if it keeps being worked on

lol @falcon, nice descriptions, especially the "assorted appliances"
hehe
I saw someone comment on their sound system above. Thought I'd note that I'm listening to these on a pair of Sennheiser HD-595's which are considered relatively dark. However, most gaming headphones (ie. anything mid to high end from Logitech etc.) are way, way, way, way darker than my Senns so I don't think you should expect good results on them anyway. As for standard computer speakers (ie. the $10-20 ones), those ought to fall apart trying to play an engine sound.
I like the new sounds. They have more meat to them. Except the BF1 which has just become a lot worse.
As I understand it this is the thread that was formerly for U30. Can we have a download link to U30 for those of us who have tried U32 and want to go back to U30 please?
First thanks for the work.
Quote from Scawen :
You are not hearing a supercharger or a turbocharger, you are hearng the whine of straight-cut gears. They are stronger gears used in race cars but they are not used in road cars because they are noisy.

I just wanted to correct you about the straight cut. They (or there i dont know) are not stonger (you can do stronger or not as you when you design it but straight cut are known to last a bit less because it is less smooth (each teeth make a little shock at start)) but more efficient, creating less 'drag'. Typical values are from 95% for a good not straight to 98% for a good straight (may be some people have more correct numbers...). Anyway straight cut are noisy !
What is this "lfs_restart.exe" that showed up in my directory?

EDIT: Nevermind, just got brave enough to double click it....it's part of the autoupdate :-)
Shotglass/LFSn00b, can we have a recording? I can't see how you have all sounds EXCEPT the turbo sound if its a sound card thing. Perhaps the names of your soundcards would be helpful anyway to double-check that others with the same cards have/don't have the turbo sound. Its more likely a code bug.

EDIT: loopingz, I'm sure I've heard of values of transmimssion loss of 17% for road cars, are you referring to the entire transmission or just the gear?

NetDemon01, probably the thing that will restart LFS after a new patch is downloaded by the auto-updater.
Imo the sounds are really bad, the bf1 doesnt sound like a bf1, and the others just doesnt sound like they would.
It should be very good if we have the GTR cars with a Louder sound

Ill go back to U30.

Check this out, really good sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... ;mode=related&search=
Quote from Shotglass :im starting to believe lfs has some sound card compatibility issues now ... i dont hear the turbos at all with u32

Something is for sure wrong then because they've been vastly improved. There is now the sound of air rushing into the engine (heard even more on the RAC; presumably because the mill is behind your melon) and the turbine itself is no longer (one) simple sinewave. Great! (edit: forgot about the new BOV.... Not sure if I like it a whole lot, but it needed to be different to differentiate it from the air rushing in sound (which seems like it's the old BOV sound))

Quote from sinbad : Which is a good thing, because less elements are missing than before, but it's actually further from being "right" than before.

I think it's much closer to right in terms of characteristic; however there is clearly some things missing that could make it visceral... Having just went for a cruise in my car; I note just how muted the sound really is in my real car... Now I am confused

The gear whine in the road cars might be a bit too prominent. That probably REALLY depends on the car though. I know I can hear some in mine at low speeds, 1st gear. Older cars (70s/80s?) I've been in it was much more obvious (still only at lower speeds). I lean towards it being a tad to strong in roadgoing cars though.

Quote from jayhawk :Truth be known, they sound like what I expect an engine to sound like if I was driving the car with the windows rolled up.

This is true; as I said above. Everyone go get in your car, go for a cruise and pay attention. It's like LFS is trying to replicate what really happens (IRL most roadcars ARE muted sounding); but is going about it the wrong way. Life doesn't just put a high pass filter on your ears to acheive this. Note in the Ferrari video above - you can barely hear the car that the camera is in!!! The exhaust note from the F50/F40 in front absolutely DOMINATES the soundscape on that video.

I'm not trying to say something isn't wrong - there is, but I don't think "what" is wrong is totally cut and dried. Praise the Lord we're even having this discussion though

Edit: And why is everyone surprized that the I4s sound pretty similar? ... If you mean they ALL (meaning all cars) sound similar then you can't hear. The LX6 sounds different than the 4 (it sounds like a 6cyl, the 4 like a 4cyl :shrug lol Bound to happen in a game with a crapload of I4s
I like the sound of the LX6 now, but I liked it before so...

For me everything sounds muffled and the same. I figure it's an attempt to simulate being inside a car, but for me it just sounds terrible. I like the UF1 with the top off too. That sounds fine.

As for the gear noises, sounds like a mouse click and the gear whine is so "electronic" that it depresses me.

Really glad to see that the sound is being worked on, but for the moment, I want to go back to u30 sounds.
Well I shut up and spent more time listening and changing the sound card props etc.....and I have to say a few of the cars are really a huge improment;

LX6
LX4
FOX
Quote from axus :
EDIT: loopingz, I'm sure I've heard of values of transmimssion loss of 17% for road cars, are you referring to the entire transmission or just the gear?

Well it is what I have in mind for just a couple of gear. For the entire transmission 17% of loss sounds good to me. Because You have some some loss in all the bearing and also on non working gears. Anyway my value are from my little experience and it is two years ago so may be they are a bit optimistic.
Well after some check on wikipedia, loss is <5% for "good gears" (so my 95% of efficiency were not so bad !) but I didnt find a good comparison between straight and not straight.
And also straight cut are more efficient because they dont make any axial forces just the good one (and with no axial forces ball bearing are smaller and more efficient).
Well, I postulated that LFS's sounds aren't much more interesting than a sine-wave. I thought so because the sounds seem increadbily dampened. But I had no proof beside the feelin in my ear.
Thus I quickly started audacity and compared the FZ50 to the 911 GT3 from the video posted earlier. I picked sound-positions of similar speed and made a comparison of the two waves at the same zoom-factor. Same displacement, same engine layout. Here's the picture. But really, it's not about the specifics of the sound sources. It just shows how far away LFS is.
I suggest everyone to load up the file in audacity. The picture of the waves tells so much about what LFS lacks...

Compared to the GT3 the LFS sounds really do look as interesting as a sine wave.

Vain
I dont like a new sound just only with one car, sry...but of course i will stay with LFS.
XRT - Where is a turbo sound?
LX6 - Awesome
BF1 - TC sounds so funny and so weird that after 50meters i couldnt drive longer

Well, another cars most sound the same, no diferrence...anyway in that new sound for LFS, there not only negative points, positives are too!
- gearing
- GTR`s now sounds more like GTR`s than earlier
oh my god... i hope it was a joke by the devs and the old sounds will be released in a modified version with shifting sounds for christmas...

Unhappy about the patch
I also don’t like new sounds. They definitely need more treble… Engine sound lacks the hid frequency hi revving tones.

And it seems like the same adjustments made to all cars no mater the unique characteristics every one has.

Differential sound needs improvement but it is definitely one step to the right direction. As for the engine sound I am not sure if there is any improvement or just bad tweaking.

I found that my force feedback does not work correctly… some curbs don’t even appear… So I settled again to 128 steps at the cfg.txt and works ok.

Is it normal for my wheel (driving force pro with the 4.60 drivers) not to be able to work in 256 ff steps?
Quote from XCNuse :its a step up i guess, gear whines shouldn't be heard in the more standard daily commute cars though thats for sure

I disagree with that one - I have quite a lot of gear noise even in my standard Fiat Uno 1.5

I love the new gear whines and stuff, but the car engine notes have lost a lot of treble. It feels like having his head in a barrel. The LX6 sounds nice though.

But, I'm sure we will have the best sounds ever quite soon Keep up the good work!
I can't hear the turbo sounds at all. I have Windows XP SP2 and Realtek's onboard sound card.
Also the skidding sounds are barely audible inside the car. Starting sound and gear change sounds could use a boost too.
Some clear transmission whine sounds can be heard (its not just transmission whine but you can clearly seperate it from the rest) in this video towards the end:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nkfvQvc9ipI

This is when the McLaren is being driven. Also note the sound of the transmission on lift-off. Sorry its quite a long way into the video.
Quote from Vain :Well, I postulated that LFS's sounds aren't much more interesting than a sine-wave. I thought so because the sounds seem increadbily dampened. But I had no proof beside the feelin in my ear.
Thus I quickly started audacity and compared the FZ50 to the 911 GT3 from the video posted earlier. I picked sound-positions of similar speed and made a comparison of the two waves at the same zoom-factor. Same displacement, same engine layout. Here's the picture. But really, it's not about the specifics of the sound sources. It just shows how far away LFS is.
I suggest everyone to load up the file in audacity. The picture of the waves tells so much about what LFS lacks...

Compared to the GT3 the LFS sounds really do look as interesting as a sine wave.

Vain

Nice picture and good idea.

It seems to confirm that the major low frequency component is quite correct, but there are many high frequecies missing from the LFS sample. I wonder what it would sound like if that massive amplitude wave in LFS was diminished - what are the other components that you see? Was this done with all other sounds (wind etc) turned as low as possible and the engine sound all the way up?
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG