The online racing simulator
Who invented the term anyway?
(51 posts, started )
|I thought I spotted him once in Lidl's car park in Huddersfield, but I had a cold at the time and he was wearing a hoody, I can't be sure.
I would pronounce it as SkehVeeYur, can't think of any other way to pronounce it.

The origin of the name was from adverts in LFS from or before S1, representing an imaginary brand. Some people wondered what it meant until it struck them, Sca, Vi, Er!
#28 - Don
Quote from XCNuse :has anyone even come in contact with him the past... like 3 or 4 years?

he did some of the default skins for s2 - so, thats almost 2 years ago
Quote from Greboth :To where the name came from - Didnt anyone else as a kid come up with team names but taking parts of names, or initials etc to come up with a name? Or was that only the people i knew

Pronounciation - Sca - ve - er
Thats how ive always pronounced it.

heh.. Back in the day when I was in school, we had to design a computerprogram, so me and 2 friends started designing a graphics adventure. We came up with a company name, in much the same way except we used our last names. Company was called NiSaBo Interactive. Incidentally I still use that name... I've named my local W2k domain after it.
Quote from TagForce :Like scurvy, but different

Skay Vee Yer. Or that's how I pronounce it anyway (so it automagically becomes the one and only right way to).

Like the French pronounce 'bouvier'. That's the way I pronounce it
it sound like it could be a car maker
Quote from hrtburnout :Like the French pronounce 'bouvier'. That's the way I pronounce it

Oh no, the world is coming to an end, I have something in common with the Dutch
the name cosworth was brought about in the same monnor.

Since it was formed in 1958 by Mike Costin and Keith Duckworth, Cosworth has become the most successful engine manufacturer in history, with a string of driver and manufacturer titles to its credit in a wide range of formulae with impressive performances in IRL, Champ Car, WRC, sportscars and MotoGP.

Cosworth began life in a small workshop in London in 1958. However, things quickly grew and a move to larger premises was soon required. The company moved to north London, where it began working on the development of the Ford 105E engine. Cosworth actually achieved its first victory when Jim Clark took a win in the Formula Junior category in his Lotus 18 at Goodwood in 1960.
Quote from hrtburnout :Like the French pronounce 'bouvier'. That's the way I pronounce it

Yep, same here!

Sorry Flippy
Quote from Don :he did some of the default skins for s2 - so, thats almost 2 years ago

He was active after that too (atleast in IRC), think something like half a year.

me too...

.. but just because my english sux !

.. or because i'm french ?
Quote from MagicFr :me too...

.. but just because my english sux !

.. or because i'm french ?

Because your english sucks, and don't be too proud about that other thing
#38 - neRu
You all must have seen X-men.

I pronounce it like you pronounce Xavier, just replacing the X with Sk, Skavier.
So it seems it's [skavier] like I pronounce it, or [skɛiviə] like the english-speaking community seems to like it.
It should definitely be pronunced SKAH - VEE - AY (SKAH = SOFTish A, not HARD (hard = the one that sounds like the name of the letter...))

This is definitive and cannot be questioned.
So Victor is pronounced VEEKTOR? (Ok, maybe if you're a vampire)

But Eric as AYRIC?

LOL

Well, when a new "word" is hodgepodged out existing words (names), you cannot likely retain the pronunciation of the individual pieces. Otherwise it would be almost impossible to say without a bizarre hiccup-pause beween "VI (soft I)" and "AIR". Try and say them together, it doesn't work

A word ending in VIER would probably be said "VEEAY".
Quote from Kryten :So Victor is pronounced VEEKTOR? (Ok, maybe if you're a vampire)

But Eric as AYRIC?

It's pronounced the same as in English, except the O is pronounced longer instead of the English 'Victr'.
He was being a smartass
Quote from Kryten :It's what I do best.

/me is incapable of processing the sarcasm value of smartass posts when /me just got home from a LOOONG shift. :yummy:
But I was pointing it out in general anyway since alot of people seem to misunderstand the Dutch 'I'!
Quote from sgt.flippy :I pronounce it french style, like sah vie é

Oh, ooo la la, so cultured, mon ami!

So from now on I am pronoucing "flippy" "flah-pay"

Quote from jayhawk :Oh, ooo la la, so cultured, mon ami!

So from now on I am pronoucing "flippy" "flah-pay"

Let's try and prounounce your name in a 'cultured' way..

Zjay-awk... Zjawk... hey whaddaya know.. that sounds just like Jacques!
From now on I'll call you Jacques. :þ
Quote from (SaM) :Let's try and prounounce your name in a 'cultured' way..

Zjay-awk... Zjawk... hey whaddaya know.. that sounds just like Jacques!
From now on I'll call you Jacques. :þ

Doh!! :sadbanana:bananadea
Scavier I don't know, but LFSensation was me

And this therm for who didn't get it, means the incredible imersion that others sim don't give.

Who invented the term anyway?
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG