The online racing simulator
Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
Which downsides?

Perhaps you merely mistyped your eMail or accidentally added a character to the auto-complete.
Don't you earn the MG by getting all gold stars in the training? I unlocked some car that way I think.

Vain
Where is a good place to go to get modded car meshes/graphics for RBR? Anyone produced a grip mod like they did for Rally Trophy to improve realism?
Most rbr stuff here: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/rbr

Downsides: The game is buggy. But the main thing is, even after a 6 month break like now, it has lost the point being the only good rally (=means that you drive on an unknown or barely known road trusting only your pacenotes) game. And those pacenotes are another thing, on some stages they are fine but on some stages like Falstone, impossible. I know there is that editor, but I wanna drive rally, not hotlap in forests..

edit: how cool would it be to have a rally game that could randomly generate rbr-like stages, then you could do the recce yourself maybe by microphone, and that's it. The game would had x amount of 'memory slots' to save those best generated stages if you want to try them again, or improve your pacenotes. Of course it would work in multiplayer championships too
Quote from Leprekaun :There was one game though, Rally Championship 2000 which had 20 minute stages and I wish I could get it again but I don't know where to find it .

Heh, guess what CD I've just found. It's a proper legal copy, I got it with some kind of 'subscribe and get this for £5' promotion a few years ago. But posting a link would break the forum rules...
Quote from al heeley :Where is a good place to go to get modded car meshes/graphics for RBR? Anyone produced a grip mod like they did for Rally Trophy to improve realism?

BHMS.com which frokki already mentioned is the RBR modding mecca. Here's some setup pack/physics mod, that also changes car behaviour. Never tried it because I think Richard Burns knew better how WRC car handles than all the other modders. If you install it always take backups.

There are lots of new cars, but also addons that only upgrades the default cars' models and skins but does not change physics. Bad side of the modding is that the modders are so separated (so no complete season mods yet). And that downloads section includes lots of mods that are simply crap. I'd say everything that is released under author eddy3spain & co is quality.
Firstly, I never ever encountered a bug in RBR. Perhaps I'm just lucky.
Secondly, the Falstone pacenotes are actually pretty much spot on. But they get a bit repetitive because there are so many left-right or right-left combinations that are either light, fast or fast fast or fast light or light light. But that what makes that stage so fun.

Some (not all!) Australian stages have a pretty low quality though. Very repetitive, a bit unimaginative layout and quite bad pacenotes (missing "don't cut", ever changing interpretation of what a "fast" corner is and a few missing "tightens").

I enjoy France lately because the pacenotes are pretty good. I can drive pretty blind and just trust in the pacenotes.

Vain
Yeah France is quite enjoyable now. I used to hate it only because I pushed too hard and always ran off the road. Going at it with a controllable pace is fun, especially learning to maneuver all those hairpins correctly.

I've never had any bugs in RBR either that I can remember.
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Wow, thanks for bringing that to our attention Deggis

Shame the driver was shi*e, and the vid didn't have the car sounds...
I'm off to grab it now. Woohoo
You're awarded 100 awesome points for bumping this thread!
Too bad I don't have a wheel the next few days :/
Skidmarks at braking zones have been done quite harshly, imo. Painting strong strokes with RGB 0,0,0 is hardly going to work as skidmarks, but rest than that track looked really really good.

Why it looks that car rotates in a stick that is put trough centre of car roof in that video? Normally it does not look quite that bad.
Looks good, I was meaning to revive this thread as apparently there is some update made for the game with cars and sounds etc etc, I googled for it but can't find it, will find it out later to see if it's worth reinstalling the game for.
That's cool.
I think I'll wait a bit with going crazy until there are a few complete new rallies. If I learn them one at a time I'll know them within 3 hours after their release. So I better wait until there are more stages than I can memorize.
Great to see that making stages finally works. Can't wait for more.

[Edit] Does anyone know the artist of the onboard video's background music?

Vain
Does the G25 work well with RBR?? i downloaded the demo but the wheel was sh*t with it.... im hoping that was just because it was the demo which is obviously really old!!
It does work, but you just have to mess around with the settings in the profiler and in the game, I think you can download good wheel settings from BH Motorsports and stuff but I can't be sure, I never needed them, felt great with the DFP.
The first thing i felt when watching that video on youtube : damn, this looks so familiar ... like the nearby vilages here in Slovakia . I wasn't far from the truth Czech Republic FTW ! Finaly I can feel like i'm driving just a few km's from home =]
What tools are they using to make new RBR tracks? Is there an editor out there somewhere?

We should totally make zillions of crappy tracks.
Quote from JTbo :Skidmarks at braking zones have been done quite harshly, imo. Painting strong strokes with RGB 0,0,0 is hardly going to work as skidmarks, but rest than that track looked really really good.

Why it looks that car rotates in a stick that is put trough centre of car roof in that video? Normally it does not look quite that bad.

Maybe some self-made stupid "I know how WRC cars handles!" type modded physics in that video. I don't know, tarmac simulation is the worst part of RBR anyway...

Because my desktop PC's power supply is RIP, I can't try this but from the video it looks incredibly detailed. And what's great is that there are lots of different kind of landmarks which most of the original "copy & paste" tracks lacks.

Quote from thisnameistaken :What tools are they using to make new RBR tracks? Is there an editor out there somewhere?

We should totally make zillions of crappy tracks.

Afaik this is done old fashioned way with 3Ds Max, but there is this http://www.bobstrackbuilder.net and it's currently supporting track building for rFactor and RBR. Free demo version but full costs so maybe that will make the general track quality higher

Quote from andy_bonjon :Does the G25 work well with RBR?? i downloaded the demo but the wheel was sh*t with it.... im hoping that was just because it was the demo which is obviously really old!!

How shit? Didn't work at all or just felt bad? In general of course the wheel works, there have been some problems with it, I don't know because I don't have G25. You can even get H-shifter support with a 3rd party plugin. RBR's force feedback (when configured right) is in the top3 class with LFS & nKp.
Works great for me with my G25. Serious workout trying to keep the car pointing the right way.
I'd love to buy this game, but it is nowhere to be found in the retail outlets here.

I wish you buy and download it online...
Quote from farcar :I'd love to buy this game, but it is nowhere to be found in the retail outlets here.

I wish you buy and download it online...

Try this one

There is also one shop selling it in NZ, but don't know if that is any good for you.
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Quote from JTbo :Try this one

There is also one shop selling it in NZ, but don't know if that is any good for you.

But I want it NOW.
Seriously though, thanks for looking that up for me. I've considered getting an Ebay copy, I just wish that distributor would make more games downloadable. Especially older games.
New RZ had coming on RBR
RZ from Rally Pribram (CZ), download here: http://rbrczech.rbrmcr.com/dl.php?dlid=52
You need tournament plugin for use this track
After install, in game, you must go to options/plugns/tournament plugin/shakedown/stage 94.
It's very hard stage, I think one of the hardest in RBR...
I found a copy in the 5€-bin of a supermarket

Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG