The online racing simulator
TEST Patch P4 (now P12)
(556 posts, closed, started )
goodwork again Scawen
Quote from Misko :I just tested the First Time 1 and when the list of languages is long this is how it appears (attachment).

In your attachment, I can see "Catala" and "Catalù"

I think it should be "Català", and at my LFS is looking right
Can't I wait with the new patch install, until its official on LFS site?
...or do I really need to install P3 and then P4 testpatch's ?
oh... thx Scawen. - guess I should read before I write.
- I think its great that u involve the users in the development.
thanks for the patch! (happy about any improvement here... )

but I just found out that I can't adjust the 'message text size' to my preferred value anymore.

P3 0.020 --> 0.060
P4 0.040 --> 0.060

on my screen with 1600x1200 even the lowest setting results in far too big text...

cheers!
The translation of help file is finished. Many corrections done to the in-game messages. Looks like the Russian translation is ready to be published.

I have 2 last corrections to the letters' shapes. Two cyrillic letters width needs to be fixed, right now they look noticeably a bit strange.

The red lines in the 2nd layer indicate the widths that are too big. These widths should be the same as those in the letters marked by the green vertical lines.
Attached files
2_letters.psd - 222 KB - 301 views
Quote from ORION :Btw is it possible to set a different mipmap lod bais for the text and the ingame textures?
It would be nice to have sharp text also on my notebook

What about Options -> Graphics -> Mip bias (Schärfe in german) -> -4.00
The mip bias option changes the texture sharpness as well as the text sharpness, at least on my laptop.

Quote from Scawen :It's wider. It's a side effect of something else and i decided to leave it because it seemed to be more readable.

I like the new text width, it's easier to read especially in low-res. But I think, the "e" shouldn't be too much rounded, it currently looks like it has a different style then the other chars.

Edit: The lesson instructions look a bit strange now, with some lines having the normal font width and other lines squeezed together. You should change the wrapping limit, so the lines don't get so squeezed.
Attached images
text.jpg
About the translating:

Where are we going to put the S2 values in help files?

Am i allowed to also include all the S2 values?

EDIT: You can now include Estonian in next patch, it is READY!
Quote from Scawen :It's wider. It's a side effect of something else and i decided to leave it because it seemed to be more readable.

Because the letters needed to be squashed a little vertically, to fit in the accents, so they were then made larger on the buttons and user messages, to compensate. And that left them the same height as the old ones but slightly wider.

I decided that looked better than the old thin ones, so i wouldn't go trying to adjust all the widths again... but everyone else's opinions are welcome, of course.

imho, what original font mostly suffered from, was of being fat. Making it fatter even on 4:3 (just imagine on the more and more often used 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions) is not the best option. Although if its an unfixable sideeffect of something else, its bearable...
lfs looks plain bad now on 16:9 and worse than it looked imho in 4:3
tested now in photoshop and 4:3 allows a horizontal reduction to 75% of current font width. that will improve 4:3 look and help 16:9 readability.
when u have something thats not brilliant or very preety u should try and make it as small and thin as you can. just like if you have a ugly scar somewhere in your face you usually try to disguise it and not enhance it. quite basic principle, but of coz u can freely contradict it, with just your taste.
the time spent on this, makes me wonder if it wouldnt be possible to use some truetype source code and use one or loads of the bazillion free fonts out there. In fact that would open door to text font and button font not being the same...
There may be some kind of good reason for this, but why on earth is Scawen actually drawing all these fonts by hand? There must be about half a trillion available fonts in the world these days in a variety of easily usable formats.

I understand that they try to keep development costs down by doing most things themselves, but this seems to be taking it a bit far.

I'm building my own extension to save on builders costs, but I didnt start by making a forge to cast my own tools.
Quote from GP4Flo :What about Options -> Graphics -> Mip bias (Schärfe in german) -> -4.00
The mip bias option changes the texture sharpness as well as the text sharpness, at least on my laptop.

Yes but on my notebook I use 0.0 mip lod bias and this looks a bit blurry on my fonts :/

I simply need to set it to 0.0 because I cant use AF due to the slow card(only 9700Mobility) and so the textures being are far away will look very pixelated, which makes me crazy.
On my Desktop computer Im using at least 4xAF all the way round, and also a much higher res, so it's less of a problem there.

That's why I suggested to use a different lod bias for the text

----

It would be nice if it was possible to select a font (ttf) and use this in LFS
Quote from DeXteRrBDN :In your attachment, I can see "Catala" and "Catalù"

I think it should be "Català", and at my LFS is looking right

I just noticed I have two files (Català and Catalù) for some reason with the same date and time, I'll delete Catalù. Maybe the filename was changed in new patch or I downloaded it manually, doesn't matter now.

Hm hm, I can't open Català in LFS, also I can't open Portoguês, probably because of that accents in the filename. As long as it works with your Windows its fine for now, and when Scawen makes it read the language name from the file instead of the filename it would be even better. I always had strange problems with non english characters in filenames (non localised Windows version) so I never use that.
Quote from Lible :About the translating:

I took the libetry to include help for S2 in one or two places in our translation as it was clearly missing in the original english help file. I'll remove those just to be the same as english if thats how it should be, but original is not up to date.

I decided not to translate all the lessons. It's just too much and nobody is sure if it will stay like that in the final version.

Also, Options/Display/Interface is not translatable.
Quote from Misko :I just noticed I have two files (Català and Catalù) for some reason with the same date and time, I'll delete Catalù. Maybe the filename was changed in new patch or I downloaded it manually, doesn't matter now.

Hm hm, I can't open Català in LFS, also I can't open Portoguês, probably because of that accents in the filename. As long as it works with your Windows its fine for now, and when Scawen makes it read the language name from the file instead of the filename it would be even better. I always had strange problems with non english characters in filenames (non localised Windows version) so I never use that.

Probably, that's because these filenames are unicode.

I've recently noticed that there are 36 KB of driving lessons descriptions. Translating them now.
Quote from detail :I've recently noticed that there are 36 KB of driving lessons descriptions. Translating them now.

A lot of texts are repeated in the various lesson instructions, so it's not as much as it looks. For example all the Testdrive lessons have the same instruction text.
Yes, I've noticed.

Scawen, what about the names of the driving lessons? Can they be translatable?
Quote from Misko :
Quote from Lible :About the translating:

I took the libetry to include help for S2 in one or two places in our translation as it was clearly missing in the original english help file. I'll remove those just to be the same as english if thats how it should be, but original is not up to date.

I don't really know what you guys mean, the help for S2, S2 values and so on...

What's missing from the English version, what's not up to date?

Sorry... confused Some examples would help!
Phew, here are all the desciptions of the driving lessons. I've noticed that only few of them contained target times. Why?

I've also noticed 2 bugs: 1) when I create a radio channel in LFS, it's name is "Канал 1", but when I press "edit" button, the name is written in latin-1 symbols with the same codes (which is unreadable): "Êàíàë 1", and LFS gives a message: "Added Latin ID".

2) a Russian guy asked to tell his complaint: when there are many messages, they occupy quite a big screen area, making LFS consume much more CPU, at least higher than in the prevous versions.

[edit: added the all-in-one translation file]
Attached files
lessons_Russian.zip - 37.6 KB - 236 views
Russian translation.zip - 63.7 KB - 186 views
Quote from Scawen :I don't really know what you guys mean, the help for S2, S2 values and so on...

What's missing from the English version, what's not up to date?

Sorry... confused Some examples would help!

For example in multiplayer screen, help for online mode select doesn't mention S2, only demo and S1. Then unlocking help screens (username and password) only mention S1 licences and probably in some other places.
Quote from Misko :For example in multiplayer screen, help for online mode select doesn't mention S2, only demo and S1. Then unlocking help screens (username and password) only mention S1 licences and probably in some other places.

OK... thanks, yes please write them just so they make more sense, either "S2 license" or "S1 or S2"... whatever.

Thanks for your help, it's nice having these new translations.
Quote from detail :Phew, here are all the desciptions of the driving lessons. I've noticed that only few of them contained target times. Why?

Most of them shouldn't need target times, because the lesson display automatically shows the target times.

But GP4Flo would be the best person to answer your question, if you can give examples.

Thanks for your bug reports and character requests (and other people as well). I will work through this thread and fix most things wherever possible, in the next few days.
Quote from colcob :I'm building my own extension to save on builders costs, but I didnt start by making a forge to cast my own tools.

Yeah but if you did I'd be impressed.

...to the topic, I can't seem to change the font size in game, the slider does nothing and won't save either. Editing the cfg.txt with notepad did the trick though. Never tried adjusting it in earlier patches though (never needed to).
Everything works here, maybe you set your cfg file to read only?

Also Scawen, while you're at it: could you please change it for all numeric "input" fields (brake strength, ........) that a "," is treated like a "."? It would rule because on german keyboards the numpad has a "," instead of an ".", so I always have to reach for the "." located on the normal kb area. A simple string replace of "," with "." after the input should do the trick.
This thread is closed

TEST Patch P4 (now P12)
(556 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG