The online racing simulator
Reverse FF for Logitech/MOMO?
(15 posts, started )
I know that in some games, there is a setting for doing reverse FF. Not sure if that applies to LFS and cannot find anyone meantioning it.

I have GTL and GTR 2 and they appear to have near perfect (if not a little faked) FF.

In LFS, the wheel sort of seems to pull opposite of what I have come to expect.

Especially at high speeds on the straights. It seems to try and make me swerve on purpose as opposed to staying nearly straight.

I mean common. No car starts to just sway at high speeds. At least none I have driven.

Any comments?

C.
#2 - herki
Get your flamesuit ready, trying to tell us how great ISI-force feedback is ... I hate it (or maybe it's the rest of the game), I just can't feel what the car is doing in all ISI-sims I played.

But unfortunately I can only tell you, I had no problem with my Logitech wheels and the ffb-direction with lfs. are you sure it isn't a setup issue (like toe out at the front axle)?
Quote from cvearl :(if not a little faked)

Understatement of the year

Sorry, for me FF has worked out of the box, and I've never encountered reversed FF in LFS. If you drive the XRT and make a drift to the right, which way does your wheel try to turn? It *should* turn to the left, so the tyres point in the direction of travel...
Well I can try a little more.

My FF experience with this MOMO is not just GT L/R/R2. Also untold hours on Richard Burns Rally (IMO the best FF on the planet) but it too had a "reverse FF" thingy IIRC but it's been several months since I last spun the mud.

I probably still need to do some more driving. Only did about an hour last night but was messin mostly with my POV and so on and getting used to the menus and Video/graphics settings.

I will give er another try tonight. I just remember it feeling a little odd. But that could just be the way it works in LFS.

Thanks 4 the rplys.

C.
Quote from herki :Get your flamesuit ready, trying to tell us how great ISI-force feedback is ... I hate it (or maybe it's the rest of the game), I just can't feel what the car is doing in all ISI-sims I played.

But unfortunately I can only tell you, I had no problem with my Logitech wheels and the ffb-direction with lfs. are you sure it isn't a setup issue (like toe out at the front axle)?

Not sure about Toe out or other setup issues as I have not touched any car setups as of yet. Just an LFS virgin at this point.

C.
i have a ms sidewinder and i have to reverse it in all the isi games but in lfs it works out of the box.
EDIT: OMG you haven't raced online????
#7 - DrBen
Quote from cvearl :Well I can try a little more.

My FF experience with this MOMO is not just GT L/R/R2. Also untold hours on Richard Burns Rally (IMO the best FF on the planet) but it too had a "reverse FF" thingy IIRC but it's been several months since I last spun the mud.

For what i can tell about the black, plastic momo ("momo racing force") you really should do the following:
(with plugged in & powered on wheel) go to controll-panel --> select gaming gear --> momo racing --> properties

and now make sure that only the top slider (stating "ffb-strength" afair) has a value different than ZERO, all others should be turned down to 0, so that those (optional) special effects don't interfere with what the game is generating in ffb-output):fence3d:

Quote :I probably still need to do some more driving. Only did about an hour last night but was messin mostly with my POV and so on and getting used to the menus and Video/graphics settings.

I will give er another try tonight. I just remember it feeling a little odd. But that could just be the way it works in LFS.

Thanks 4 the rplys.

C.

you really should do that. IMHO rbr and flsLFS are -still- the only serious PC-simulations so far. :bowdown:
Shame that S2 still yet neither has that kind of rallying stages nor the kind of perfect {1200kg/280bhp+50/50 weight ratio + fully adjustable 4wd-differential} WRC-car that would allow us to compare the two a little better.

Last but not least, an important hint will be to get started with the shipped (since patch-level S) "Race S"-Setups for the cars. they're not the fastest or even competitive but their handling is way more like racing than the built-in "street" or "rally-cross" options --and a good point to start and derive your own sets from.

Greets
[D-R-T]DrBen
Edit:sorry for the typo
Quote from Barroso :i have a ms sidewinder and i have to reverse it in all the isi games but in lfs it works out of the box.
EDIT: OMG you haven't raced online????

Jeez, we complain when newbies come into a race on-line without any practice and when they don't race on-line.
Quote from rcpilot :Jeez, we complain when newbies come into a race on-line without any practice and when they don't race on-line.

This is my only gripe about ANY on line game. And this LFS product is no different.

I have been teased about wanting to "practice" and "experiment" first by people in some forums. I often get told... "just get in there and race", "we need more drivers", "Best way to learn is to just jump in there".

Then just last night I decide. Ok. I am beating the AI in PRO level. I guess I am ready to do a little Human vs. human...

I join a server. Doing not to bad IMO. BMW open wheel. Most of the drivers HOTLAPS are in the 1.00 - 1.05 range. I on the other hand am getting about 1.12 . OK. I am about 7 to 10 seconds behind the leaders. But hey. I was using Race-S setup and I am still only about 5 hours into this sim. And only maybe an hour with the BMW.

I hear a guy come up behind me half way through my lap 7 of 8. Blue flag. I try to stay out of the line. And he hits me from behind just going into the corner.

Now I get "You f-ing retard! You stupid moron!" "Why do we even have BLue Flags if no one is going to use them?!?!?!" "Go play by yourself till you know how to drive!". A few others chime in and support his feelings. So I left for a bit and practiced. I decided screw this and went back in. Had fun after that.

So what would people prefer? People be PRO before arriving online? or have people to pass and talk to.

Anyway. Later on one guy was rally nice and had me follow him around the track and give me a few pointers and then sent me his setup and I had fun. The next 3 or 4 races I shaved 5 seconds off my time.

That is how it should ALWAYS be. But there are always going to be Aholes out there I guess. Need a thick skin on line. And LFS is NO exception.

C.
Well. For whatever reason. It is working right now.

Not sure what the issue was my first hour with the game. Me or the FF. But I am in sync with it now.

It is behaving the way I expect and I am having a hoot with this game.

C.
yeah some people are very competitive and get pissed off real fast... i only said that cuz this being a online racing simulator and thats were all the fun is after all.
Nice to hear you got your FF sorted

Yes, online can be a bit rough at times, though that's the price you pay for getting more popular. However, I think we still have an overall friendly and open community, contributing its part to make what LFS is today.
Quote from AndroidXP :Nice to hear you got your FF sorted

Yes, online can be a bit rough at times, though that's the price you pay for getting more popular. However, I think we still have an overall friendly and open community, contributing its part to make what LFS is today.

Agreed!

I cannot wait to get on again tonight!

Gotta get my race on.
Quote from Barroso :yeah some people are very competitive and get pissed off real fast... i only said that cuz this being a online racing simulator and thats were all the fun is after all.

sadly too many people get pissed off way too fast - and they won't admit that they did an error while lapping another person. Because they're faster means for them they are better and don't make mistakes. Lapping a person isn't just driving your normal line - it's an own overtaking maneuvre, just that the opponent usually doesn't fight for his position. I wish more people would realize that.
Quote from herki :sadly too many people get pissed off way too fast - and they won't admit that they did an error while lapping another person. Because they're faster means for them they are better and don't make mistakes. Lapping a person isn't just driving your normal line - it's an own overtaking maneuvre, just that the opponent usually doesn't fight for his position. I wish more people would realize that.

I tend to hit people several times more often when I'm passing under blue flags than when I'm passing for position, so it's a pretty tense moment to make that blue flag pass on a pick-up server. The major factor is, I know what someone's going to do when I try to pass them for position, but I have no clue what they're going to do when I try to pass them under a blue flag. They might be newer and completely ignore that I'm there, they might be nice and give up the corner on the straight before it, they may be nice and give me plenty of room through the corner, or worst of all they may try to fight me for position. (illepall on that last one, I've pulled a perfect pass on people like that and then had them draft me on the next straight and try to fight with me for the next corner.) And the most common collision for me is people flying out of the pits starting several laps into the race, then they get an earfull because there's no point in trying to gain a couple seconds coming out in front of/along side me several laps down on a basically untimed lap. I suppose the biggest factor in collisions is the difference in speed, if I'm lapping someone I want it to have the smallest effect possible on my laptimes and theirs, but oftentimes they don't realize that the several car gap they have between us is usually going to close in a single corner. Because of this, I'll often want to make a pass more aggressively than normal if it's the first corner in a set of corners because 75% of the time if you can't get up alongside someone before the corner they won't give it up regardless of the fact that you just flew up on their butt and almost hit them trying to slow yourself down, and if I follow their pace into that first corner I'll usually be stuck on their pace for the next few corners. Most common collision here is the slower guy will often miss their apex and give just enough room for me to slide through, but they won't expect me to be coming from that several car lengths back and then it's time for some synchronised spins. (The irony here is that if it had been an actual passing attempt for position the other guy would've been staring at me in their mirrors, realized they made a mistake and expected me to take advantage of it if possible, but generally if it's someone that's a lap down, that's just a normal corner for them so they can be a little less attentive.)

Final comment and the most annoying bit, if I start moving towards one side of you under a blue flag, I'm attempting to make a pass on that side, and you're not supposed to move in that direction and effectively block me and force me to back off and try again.

Sorry to derail this thread even more, but I had to comment on the derailment.

/Edit - Wow, that's a gigantic paragraph mixed with some run-on sentences, yay for ranting.

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG