The online racing simulator
wind and tire temp
(17 posts, started )
wind and tire temp
Does wind affect tire temp?

last night when participating in the FLP What's Cookin' I noticed something odd. In qualifying I was in the FZR with R3 tires. The tire temp was a little above optimal temp but when the race started it was a 1 hour race and the tires stayed ice cold?

There was strong wind in the race. Cant remember if it was the same with qualifying but my guess would be that there was?

so what gives?
Yes, wind affects tyre temperature, as far as I know
Shouldn't be a big effect? I mean with no wind, cars will do near 200km/h often, which is say 50m/s, a lot more than the average LFS wind.. My guess is that ambient temperature has a way bigger effect than wind..
#4 - filur
Even if it doesn't directly affect tyre temps it will change the load on tyres pretty much everywhere, affecting temps quite a bit. We had headwind / opposite wind down the back straight during the entire race loosing a few km/h's and maybe 2-3 degrees of heat on each lap, the highspeed right hander before the chicane was perfectly stable with the wind in your face, no slip, less heat. I'd guess you were also careful in the section before split 2, normally there's quite a bit of slip there, but with the wind it was pretty much impossible to push that hard.

Probably makes a very big difference over the distance we ran.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :My guess is that ambient temperature has a way bigger effect than wind..

I thought the ambient temperature in LFS was fixed at 20 degrees?
I don't know
Yes it is. IIRC, there were different cool-down tests on FE and an other track some time ago, and the tyres all cooled down to the same 20°C.
Quote from Sp3cTr3 :Does wind affect tire temp?

yes.

i can give u a bit more info even... the sidewall thats more exposed to air (roadcars) cools down faster than inner.

u can test this simply by timing the cool down with wind on and wind off with car stoped.
Nice!

Kid - Does the wind affect the temp of the road surface?

Sort of O/T: You know what would be cool? An official dev-compiled text highlighting all the cool features of LFS that we don't really know about - save for folklore and conjecture amongst ourselves. Would show us which "features" are psychosomatic and probably make us look like fools for A) thinking it's better than it is and B) not knowing how good it really is.
Quote from someone's sig :By doing that you'd remove all the *MAGIC* from LFS

You are kidding me that this is simulated?? :bowdown:
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Nice!

Kid - Does the wind affect the temp of the road surface?

Sort of O/T: You know what would be cool? An official dev-compiled text highlighting all the cool features of LFS that we don't really know about - save for folklore and conjecture amonst ourselves. Would show us which "features" are psychosomatic and probably make us look like fools for A) thinking it's better than it is and B) not knowing how good it really is.

:nods: This would be nice =)
Quote from AndroidXP :Yes it is. IIRC, there were different cool-down tests on FE and an other track some time ago, and the tyres all cooled down to the same 20°C.

Not exactly, althou the test were done before the latest patch.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=5682

edit.

Funny thing I noticed from that thread, Bob the Mod doesn't seem much of a learner

Quote from Bob Smith 9 months ago :23 eh? I had guessed at 20 for working out air density in GRC for top speed analysis.

Quote from Bob Smith now :I thought the ambient temperature in LFS was fixed at 20 degrees?

Please don't ban me...
What you're missing inbetween those two posts is the email I got from Scawen that confirmed things a little. Also it was a rhetoric question.
Woooooo, cool. So the temperature is actually 20 degrees. But how the tires don't go down there? Or at least didn't when this was tested, or in some cases did.
Quote from Blackout :Woooooo, cool. So the temperature is actually 20 degrees. But how the tires don't go down there? Or at least didn't when this was tested, or in some cases did.

Don't know, but I quote:

Quote from Scawen :
ambient air temperature is : 20 degrees C
atmospheric pressure is : 101387.5549

I've tried doing cool down tests, but I think the tarmac might be a different temperature, how is heat transfered in LFS?

wind and tire temp
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG