The online racing simulator
#1 - ste_
Concerning nVidia gfx drivers + texture quality
This is more of a headsup than a technical question, but on my PC (AthlonXP 2400, GeForce 4 Ti4400) updating my graphics card drivers from 77.13 to 81.84 has improved the image quality of LFS immeasurably. Textures looks x10 better and the whole game now looks much nicer than it used to for me.

So the lesson is, if you're using older nvidia drivers then try upgrading
Although bear in mind that the 81.84s are currently only beta drivers, so may not be ideal for anyone less computer-savvy if things start to go wrong. Latest full release is the 78.01s.
#3 - jmkz
most likely there is a setting changed between the two drivers install, because texture quality does not improve over-night with a driver upgrade

FSAA and AF were most likely different
also MIPMAP quality settings can play quite a large role
Agreed, went to these drivers yesterday as the new official released ones were screwing my PC up, and my mates it seems. Image quality is far better, somehow.
#5 - ste_
Quote from jmkz :most likely there is a setting changed between the two drivers install, because texture quality does not improve over-night with a driver upgrade

FSAA and AF were most likely different
also MIPMAP quality settings can play quite a large role

Quite sure all settings are the same. Certainly the ones I looked at that could make a difference are all the same. Believe me, on a GF4 I'd notice if I had FSAA and AF on; I'd get 10fps
I have the FX5500 256mb and been struggling with drivers, especially in HL2 and Counter Strike, so I have been stuck on 66.93, as these have given the best quality and stability.

I will give these a bash, and report back in about 30mins on how I got on.
For anybody else, here are the links:

Windows 2000 / XP

XP 64bit

Regards

Fordie
Nope. Lots of texturing issues like, nothing but a black box for instance. Gameplay seems improved, but gfx issues.

LFS, well slightly more jumpy here. Returning back to the 66.93 drivers.

Fordie
The only weird thing for this drivers was, that on the first run of a 3D application it set the monitor contrast to 0, leaving me with a black screen and a big WTF written over my face. Even after a reboot everything was black and I was gettin pissed off, but then I was like "hey... wait a moment..." and ZING had to turn up the contrast again
#10 - jmkz
wait.. your videocard driver.. changed your MONITOR settings? first time I heard this..
Yep, these new drivers are able to do that; it seems to be in an experimental phase, though.
Attached images
nvidia_monitorsettings.jpg
#12 - jmkz
interesting feature didn't know it existed, how's your monitor connected, D-Sub or DVI?
Errr, D-Sub I think

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG