The online racing simulator
Yet another graphics settings thread
Ok, I have 4 screen shots of all the options that would possibly effect FPS
I get about 25-30 FPS alone, i don't know what i get with others.
my specs are

Intel Pentum 521 (2.8GHz) Processor
512MB PC2-4200 DDR2 Memory
80GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
Intel GMA 900 Graphics with 128MB Shared Memory
17" E773 Dell CRT Monitor
Windows XP Media Center 2005

bahhh

what do you peoplesz think I should have them set at, I turned everything off I could find

and what kind of upgrades would you reccomend since i can't upgrade my graphics card?
Attached images
Graphics.jpg
Misc.jpg
Screen.jpg
view.jpg
visit web page and download latest drivers dude.
Quote from mostflyskaterboy :....what kind of upgrades would you reccomend since i can't upgrade my graphics card?

Another stick of RAM wouldnt do any harm....why cant you get a proper GFX card???
I haven't tested, but reducing FOV might increase FPS. I know that setting is usually set for preference rather than performance.
What resolution are you trying to run at? Never mind, I see it now.

I am one of the few who has onboard gfx as well (Bladerunner, not all of us are just kids with nothing to spend money on but computers and computer games, priorities man). I can tell you, mostflyskaterboy, that I can reduce my graphics to absolute minimum (talking LFS options and 640x480 resolution) and I get absolutely no difference in frame rate. I'm running an Athalon 64 3500 with ATI onboard w/ 256 shared of 1 gig total memory. So, I'm a bit more robust than you are and I hold 35-50 compared to your 25-35. Sounds reasonable when comparing our PC specs. I can't improve frame rate any by lowering, but can tell you by trying to go too high with resolution, my framerate will begin to suffer. I now run 1024x768 and I recently changed to running 16 bit color rather than 32. It didn't improve overall framerate, but it smoothed it out to where I don't have the big drops that I had at 32 bit color. I run all LFS gfx options at max, and can run just a bit of AA/AF in the graphics drivers.

My suggestion is that you should be able to keep all LFS options at max, don't try running better than 1024x768, and try dropping to 16 bit color. With the Intel onboard chip, I'm thinking you wouldn't have the option for AA/AF, but if so, I wouldn't use it.

In the Misc options for "Dynamic LOD Reduction", change that slider to the right (1.00). That will allow LFS graphics to "drop off" when there is a heavy hit on the system, such as at race start with many cars in view. The other cars will look like just blocks, but that will only last until you get around the track a bit the first lap and cars begin to spread out. By then, the system should catch up.

In the Graphics options, it looks like you don't have "Hardware Vertex Shading" available. This is a fairly big problem as not having this turned on or available is a pretty big hit for framerate.

When I first bought my PC (last spring) I ran the unofficial LFS benchmark, which is basically a standard single player replay which you run with Fraps running. Fraps will record average, min, and max framerate during the replay. I had turned on and off or high and low, every single option available in LFS and recorded the framerate stats with Fraps. Nothing I changed did a thing to frame rate running at 1024x768 on my onboard graphics.
Turn "Uncompressed skins" to no.
#7 - Davo
They are on no, the black options are what is selected, I think?

Since it's onbaord video the only other thing I can recommend is turning the resolution down to 1024x768 or even 800x600 and using 16bit colour instead of 32. Your options are all set to the lowest setting and if you're still getting low fps there's not much you can do without upgrading. Onboard graphics aren't really meant for games they're usually for workstations and 2d apps.

If you had Ati or nvidia onboard it'd look better but Intel aren't known for their graphics cards.
on the lfs benchmark, what would i put for my CPU speed, as knowing anything i try it doesn't accept

I'm gonna try differrent reolutions
but what does it matter if i have the 60 hz thing selected or not?
#9 - Jakg
No - not at all
what about lfs benchmark

Quote :what would i put for my CPU speed, as knowing anything i try it doesn't accept

Quote from mrodgers :.....(Bladerunner, not all of us are just kids with nothing to spend money on but computers and computer games, priorities man).....

Oh dear, got to change my pants now, because I just wet myself laughing!!!

PLEASE take a few seconds to check my profile, I don't think that the term "kids with nothing to spend money on" could possibly, by ANY stretch of the imagination, apply to me EVER!

Prioritising finances is something that comes easily in rip-off UK, where house prices would make an American contemplate suicide. and wages are just another way for the government to find new ways to tax you to the hilt!

And...... if you are honestly telling me that you cannot afford $50-$60 for a dedicated card rather than an onboard solution (you dont HAVE to buy a 8800 GS you know!!!), then please let me know which street corner you frequent, and I will throw a few pennies into your hat!
Your Intel GMA don't have vertex pipelines, so all vertexes are calculated by the CPU. When you are alone on the track, maybe you can get acceptable performance, but when other cars appearing, the gameplay becames choppy.
Sadly, unlike ATI's X200, the Intel graphics processor don't have Hardware Transform&Lighting capabilities... big performance hit.

(A little half-off topic: with Riva Tuner I ,,made" an integrated 6100 equal card /425 MHz core frequency, 2 pixel pipelines, 1 vertex pipeline/ from my nV 6200TC VGA card. The result is: with an AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU, I can get at least 30 fps with 20 cars on the grid. Turning off the remaining 1 vertex pipeline caused 50% performance drop.)

Does your motherboard have an AGP or PCI Express slot? Even a really budget VGA card (for example: ATI X300, nVidia 6200) could bring you more enjoyable gameplay.

But if you don't want to spend money, here are some advices:

-Turn down the ingame screen resolution to 800x600, and apply 16 bit color depth,
-Than turn on the ,,Screen width affects LOD" option -this will reduce level of details if the resolution is under 1024x768,
-Turn on track LOD reduction,
-Turn on the ,,Simple track - no car shadow" option,
-Turn on the ingame frame limiter (set the value to 35-40 fps). This way the CPU won't have to calculate the maximum possible fps -you'll have more balanced performance.
-You can try the wheels view -maybe not realistic as sitting in the cockpit, but the graphics processor won't be overloaded with calculating the nice interior of the car,
-As mentioned before, it is very useful to turn up the dynamic LOD reduction (at least a value of 0.50. is recommended).

Hope I could help a bit.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG