The online racing simulator
Who's Your Tip for the F1 Crown?
(53 posts, started )
#26 - Bee
Well the person shouting is probably a gentleman who goes by the name of "James Allen".

No-one in their right mind likes him, so you have nothing to worry about.
Well James Allens head will explode next year, 4 British drivers in F1

The bookies obviously know nothing, otherwise Coulthard and Webber would have good odds. Double title winning engines, Newey designed cars, Mclarens aerodynamic department (well the important guys)...the list goes on...Red Bull have bought themselfs an F1 Dream Team.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Well James Allens head will explode next year, 4 British drivers in F1

The bookies obviously know nothing, otherwise Coulthard and Webber would have good odds. Double title winning engines, Newey designed cars, Mclarens aerodynamic department (well the important guys)...the list goes on...Red Bull have bought themselfs an F1 Dream Team.

And i cant bloody wait!!! Webber ftw lol
#29 - Bee
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :

Whilst Red Bull do have a great team behind the pit wall, it's the drivers for me who will let them down, Webber I do rate well, when he has a good spell, it's a damn good spell but he is as inconsistant as British weather. DC has had his day I'm afraid, Monaco was a great achievement but Klien had him on the day in the same car.

Right now for my vote as to who will take it, I'm gunning for Alonso. It's about time McLaren churned out a car like the one from '98, Alonso never gives up, as apparent in Monza quali and with Hamilton on board, he will finally have the fast back up team mate he never had at Renault.
Well, I wouldn't call Aussie race commentators neutral - I'd be surprised if they were actually - except maybe Neil Crompton. Doesn't ever get too excited and he's got a great combination of decades of RL racing, tech know-how and the ability to make laymen understand what's going on. We have one or two guys whose absences I'd embrace (Leigh Diffey STFU plz zomfg kthxbye), but noone down here even comes close to James Allen's pathological twattishness. As long as I live my skin shall crawl whenever his near-fatal mouth haemhorrage over Jense's first win is replayed.

My pick for '07 (in no real order - these are the guys that I think will be duking it out): Kimi, Fernando, Jense, Felipe. Webber will be a dark horse at his new team with their all-new everything. I think as long as the cars hold together longer than an '06 Williams (I made a bridge out of spaghetti that held together longer) and he can turn good qualifying into good races he'll pick up some points and hopefully frighten some of the front-runners. I'd pick Mark over DC any day - DC's been doing it far too long to care that much about a championship and Mark, despite his calm, way-too-cool Aussie thing that he's got, will be busting to get out and get some results. He did have an inconsistent season this year but if you consider how many mechanical issues he had (thanks Williams/Cossie) and the amount of wrecks other people involved him in (thanks Scott Speed), you really can't pin it all on his driving.
Quote from Mr.Ferret :Hell think i just dont like Button man caus of 2 things

1st. Commentary bias! like somone said earlier bout pedro its just awfull. "uh yes im down here in the pits with Jenson button OH MY GOD!! JENSON HAS STARTED THE CAR UP HES ON HIS PRACTICE LAP MY GOD!!... 5 minutes later This just in we have an update from the pits. THIS JUST IN JENSON IS BACK IN THE PITS AND HAS CHANGED TYRES REPEATE CHANGED TYRES HES GONNA WIN THE RACE NOW!!... i really dont like that guy on the itv commentary in the pits...

2. He rear ended me when i was winning the Aus GP in F1 06 ggrrr

So you don't like Button because someone else does and because of a terrible F1 game, to the point where you ignore all the real life facts? I'm not saying you have to support him, or even like him, but you have to ackowledge the talents and skills he does have - smoothest driver in F1, for example.
Quote from thisnameistaken :A couple of years ago I got odds of 150/1 for Button before the start of the season. He finished 3rd in the championship behind both Ferraris, so I lost my £20 , but it shows the bookmakers often haven't a clue about motorsport.

Well, the odds don't reflect the opinion of the bookmarkers, they reflect the opinion of the public. Bookmarkes tend to build their odds so that they'll win - regardless of the result
Quote from tristancliffe :So you don't like Button because someone else does and because of a terrible F1 game, to the point where you ignore all the real life facts? I'm not saying you have to support him, or even like him, but you have to ackowledge the talents and skills he does have - smoothest driver in F1, for example.

Hey mate i was just having a bit of a joke (thought it was kinda obvious i mean jeez i mentioned f1 06 lol) He can hold is own and i saw his interview on Top Gear which wasnt bad...wouldnt go as far as to call him the smoothest but meh what eva
Name a smoother driver then
Quote from tristancliffe :Name a smoother driver then

Define smooth.
As in smooth under pressure
as in gently willing the car around

etc etc
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
As in driving style - movements of the steering wheel, working the throttle as the tyres circle of friction allow more/less. You know, the usual use of the term smooth when discussing Jenson Button. If you know enough abou tF1 to make a statement about Button like you have above, then you'd instantly understand the smooth we were discussing.

I know Australia, like America, has butchered the English language irrepairably, and I know it's not your fault you've been taught a dodgy version of the correct language, but 'smooth under pressure' doesn't actually make sense. Good under pressure works. Strong under pressure too. But smooth under pressure doesn't literally make sense, unless a driver suddenly starts driving in an elegant manner when being put under pressure, but is really savage when not - and no racing driver in the world is probably that weird!
Quote from Mr.Ferret :Define smooth.
As in smooth under pressure
as in gently willing the car around

etc etc

I think Tristan was referring to smooth steering, throttle and brake inputs. Also, smooth lines.

I have to say, I 100% agree with Tristan. I've not seen any drivers as smooth as Jenson. Frentzen was very smooth - but also pretty slow.
Quote from tristancliffe :As in driving style - movements of the steering wheel, working the throttle as the tyres circle of friction allow more/less. You know, the usual use of the term smooth when discussing Jenson Button. If you know enough abou tF1 to make a statement about Button like you have above, then you'd instantly understand the smooth we were discussing.

I know Australia, like America, has butchered the English language irrepairably, and I know it's not your fault you've been taught a dodgy version of the correct language, but 'smooth under pressure' doesn't actually make sense. Good under pressure works. Strong under pressure too. But smooth under pressure doesn't literally make sense, unless a driver suddenly starts driving in an elegant manner when being put under pressure, but is really savage when not - and no racing driver in the world is probably that weird!

My english is not butchured thanks (though my spelling sucks but thats just me) i know what the word smooth means and i understand smooth driving (i mean i play lfs to of cource i would) and i wasnt sure if you were talking personality or driving style.

In our V8's we sometimes get multiple camera angles of a few of our drivers footwork you can see the heel toe'ing etc really smooth.
Trust me, your English is butchered. You won't realise it, because you don't know any different, but it's as different to English as American is.

You still never thought of a smoother driver. And I've seen onboard V8 footage, and they don't look particularly smooth to me. Sure, they are race car drivers and have a certain amount of smoothness, but there's smooth and then there is SMOOTH. Watch Button. Sometimes he'll take a month to get from one steering lock to the other, yet still be faster than his teammate.
Whoops. Was originally going to write 'Trust me, you are (you're) not in a position to know if it's butchered because you don't know any better', but changed at the last minute, but left the 'you're' in place. My bad.
Quote from Bee :Whilst Red Bull do have a great team behind the pit wall, it's the drivers for me who will let them down, Webber I do rate well, when he has a good spell, it's a damn good spell but he is as inconsistant as British weather. DC has had his day I'm afraid, Monaco was a great achievement but Klien had him on the day in the same car.

Right now for my vote as to who will take it, I'm gunning for Alonso. It's about time McLaren churned out a car like the one from '98, Alonso never gives up, as apparent in Monza quali and with Hamilton on board, he will finally have the fast back up team mate he never had at Renault.

To be fair with Mark, he's always been driving... incomplete cars in incomplete teams, to put it somehow. The Minardi was obviously hopeless. The Jaguar always lacked grunt, was very unreliable, and the team was an absolute mess. The BMW Williams lacked development, and the Cossie Williams lacked grunt, development, aero efficiency, was incredibly unreliable... a true backmarker's car. Yet he almost put it in P2 at Monaco! And yes, the team was upside down with financial issues too.

Red Bull is probably the first truly competitive drive he'll land. Just like Massa went from Crash Bandicoot to a much stable racing driver, I think we might see the same with Mark Webber at RBR / Renault. Hopefully!

BTW, my tip goes to Kimi. And I don't even like Ferrari in the first place.

But hey, Alonso's gonna struggle with McLaren's issues (who have the unreliable (2005) and/or slow (2006) Mercs, and lost a few important people in the aero department, not to mention Adrian Newey!), Fisichella's just slow and unimpressive, Hamilton and Kovalainen won't put a blinder on their rookie seasons, and Massa might lose to Kimi if things go alright for him, and will be forced to play a #2 role.

And of course, Button will probably be right behind the leading team, as usual, and will continue to spank the living crap out of Barrichello. Will keep scoring assloads of podiums, and maybe another win. But he won't fight for the championship.
Quote from tristancliffe :Whoops. Was originally going to write 'Trust me, you are (you're) not in a position to know if it's butchered because you don't know any better', but changed at the last minute, but left the 'you're' in place. My bad.

I thought so but hey, it is funny when someone is bashing someone and then makes a similar mistake, isn't it?
#45 - SamH
Quote from tristancliffe :but it's as different to English as American is.

[ahem]Different FROM, similar TO. Australian and American English can be as different AS, or no more different (FROM English) THAN, each other.[/ahem]

Kimi's too lazy to work well at the Fez. They've become too familiar with, and normalised to the OCD of Schumacher. That will all end in tears, I fear. I like Kimi, and I'd be all Kimi FTW, but I dislike the history of mafioso FIA/Fez too much to be lured into that pit bay.

Button's a tosser. He hasn't, IMO, demonstrated anything exceptional. I'm not about to support him just because he's British, and in fact I expect greater things from British drivers than I think Button's capable of. All said, therefore, I perceive him as a massive British let-down. A British Leyland, if you will.

Massa is, for me, the more likely to succeed in the coming season. This particularly if you project his personal improvement programme/success from mid-2006 into the 2007 season. Add to that his familiarity with the team and its workings, I imagine many will be saying "we didn't see that coming."
Quote from tristancliffe :Trust me, your English is butchered. You won't realise it, because you don't know any different, but it's as different to English as American is.

You still never thought of a smoother driver. And I've seen onboard V8 footage, and they don't look particularly smooth to me. Sure, they are race car drivers and have a certain amount of smoothness, but there's smooth and then there is SMOOTH. Watch Button. Sometimes he'll take a month to get from one steering lock to the other, yet still be faster than his teammate.

What i ment is the V8 drivers always say that to get the most out of there cars you need to be very smooth and have sort of a rhythm to the driving lol.

As for f1 i got no idea we dont get that much coverage down here, should change next year i hope.
Quote from tristancliffe :Trust me, your English is butchered. You won't realise it, because you don't know any different, but it's as different to English as American is.

Well, there's also the fact that those V8 cars are much heavier than an F1 car, and have much less grip. They need to be lugged around a bit, so a super smooth style just wouldn't work.

But you're right. I remember Button's onboard from the 2005 Turkish GP and it was strange. Everything looked so smooth it felt like the car was driving itself!
Quote from Marty502 : But you're right. I remember Button's onboard from the 2005 Turkish GP and it was strange. Everything looked so smooth it felt like the car was driving itself!

Yeah you probaly have a point there. Ive seen Alonso all he does is drive it like i do the BF1 throws it at a corner and says "Save me Traction Control!" So unless the new Merc is up to that...
Alonso will suit the style of Mclaren, its not just thier car that understeers...its the whole team.

I think if Kimi wins a title then he will come out of his shell a bit, at the moment he is so focused on winning that you often don't get much of a responce from him. I rekon he doesn't need to work well with the team, so long as they give him a fast car then he will win.

As for Webber...well Williams had one of the worst cars last season, and he still almost won his home race. The car let him down, and Red Bull have been developing their new car for almost 2 years. You will remember that they gave up on the 2006 car early in the season, and focuses all their attention on the 07 car.
It will be a red bull white wash.

DC will help the team secure the Constructors Championship with solid if uninspired driving while Webber will maybe not always have the pace to see off the Ferrari but will be far more consistant than Massa and get a big enough points lead over Kimi in the initial races that he can coast to victory with 2nds and 3rds in the latter part of the season.

Alonso will be gutted that his car loves to park up after 20 laps and have a smoke, Hamilton will cause much destruction at the start after a spectacular first qually and subsequently be replaced by Mika - Ron Dennis loves me - Hakkinen.

Button and Rubens will show marked improvements but will ultimately fail, time after time after time.

Do we even need to mention the Renaults? They will be nowhere, I wouldn't trust Giancarlo to finish a race if his life depended on it, he is nowhere under pressure and his new team mate is not going to inspire him to greatness. I feel sorry that Kovalainen is having to to take 2nd spot to Giancarlo.

Everyone else will be further back, I don't think the Toyotas will have much to do with the championships beyond the first few flyaway races.

Who's Your Tip for the F1 Crown?
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG