The online racing simulator
Hakkinen Testing!
(16 posts, started )
#1 - MR_B
Hakkinen Testing!
Morning all!

Just incase some people have missed it, I'd like to let you know Mika Hakkinen is attending a test session in Barcelona today.

Latest article: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38032

I'm just joyous to see his existance...

Someone splash my face with cold water
#2 - S0ul
Yeah,he was the coolest guy in F1! But of course he still exists,you could see him race in DTM if thats broadcastet in Britain.
I guess Mclaren needs all the publicity it can get now that they lost KR to Ferrari. And Häkkinen kept saying that KR should never leave Mclaren. So when KR left, maybe Mika finally understood how badly Mclaren F1 was douig and wanted to help . And aren't the Mercedes DTM and Mclaren F1 team basically one big group?
Quote from LFSn00b :Well, heard this yesterday in news... He really wants to test the McLaren Hope he is coming back... And we have a team with Räikkönen and Häkkinen

Errrr...If you haven't heard, Räikkönen moved to Ferrari
And I doubt Häkkinen will come to tracks, F1 that is, the chance he would fail with the comeback and be crap and lost his face isn't nice. Quit when you are the winner, he did, I hope it stays in DTM. And isn't the driver seats at McLaren already filled?

Quote from Hyperactive :I guess Mclaren needs all the publicity it can get now that they lost KR to Ferrari. And Häkkinen kept saying that K should never leave Mclaren. And aren't the Mercedes DTM and Mclaren F1 team basically one big group?

Yep, pretty much a PR trick, they are both under Mercedes and Häkkinen is 100% Mercedes man. Any speculation around McLaren and Mercedes is good for the F1 and DTM teams.
Sceptics may well doubt that Hakkinen can contribute anything much in such a short space of time, in an unfamiliar car at the tail-end of November and for a team who have two test drivers already in addition to a confirmed 2007 line-up of Alonso and British rookie Lewis Hamilton.
They may be wrong, however.

"A driver of Mika's calibre and experience can only bring added value to our testing programme," said McLaren boss Ron Dennis, adding that there were no plans "at this stage" for him to do further tests.

Mercedes, who are hoping Hakkinen will return for another series with them in the DTM German Touring car championship, will be happy anyway to see the Finn's profile raised a couple of notches, as will team sponsor Johnnie Walker, who recently appointed Hakkinen their 'ambassador' to promote responsible drinking and safe driving.

However, Hakkinen hinted on Wednesday that there was more to it than that.
The man who came back on the radar when he turned up in Brazil for last month's season-ender, and who has since twice spent time in the McLaren F1 simulator, told reporters that the test was "absolutely serious."

Former Minardi team boss Paul Stoddart felt inclined to believe him.
"I don't think that Ron and (Mercedes motorsport head) Norbert (Haug) are the types to play games," he told Reuters.
"I think he (Hakkinen) is doing it for a reason. Don't discount him, just because he's a bit older. Imagine if Michael (Schumacher) has a couple of years out and then said he wanted to get back in the car. Nobody would laugh at that."

The fact is that Hamilton has no benchmark for feedback, Alonso remains under contract to Renault until the New Year and neither have any prior experience of Bridgestone tyres.
McLaren are venturing into new territory. They have their first rookie driver since 1995 and not since Bruce McLaren's debut in 1966 have they started a season with an all-new line-up.
Meanwhile, their Spanish reserve driver Pedro de la Rosa turns 36 in February.

Even if McLaren are the team that brought Niki Lauda out of retirement in 1982, and handed Nigel Mansell a drive in 1995 when the Briton was 41, a genuine Hakkinen comeback remains highly unlikely.

He remains in good shape after two years competing in the DTM but he was never much of a test driver. He excelled as an out-and-out racer and, since Hamilton's confirmation, there are no vacancies in that department.

It could be, however, that McLaren have in mind a mentoring job, with one double champion helping Hamilton come to terms with another. In which case, spending some time in the car would have its advantages.

Hamilton has been groomed by Dennis for the past decade but has a tough task, mentally as much as anything, in living with Alonso and two test drivers who also coveted the race seat.
Hakkinen, the driver closest to Dennis both personally and professionally in the last decade, knows what he is up against. He made his McLaren debut in 1993 alongside triple champion Ayrton Senna.

"If this test is just a one-off, then it is probably a bit of PR," concluded Stoddart. "If he (Hakkinen) comes back for more, then it's for real."
Quote from LFSn00b :And we have a team with Räikkönen and Häkkinen

I can imagine it now, the interview room with a McLaren 1-2. WHAT EXCITEMENT those guys would bring to the podium interviews.

speedfreak227
#7 - JJ72
no way, Hakkinen is one of the funniest guy in F1!
Quote :The man who came back on the radar when he turned up in Brazil for last month's season-ender, and who has since twice spent time in the McLaren F1 simulator

It's a serious test because Hakkinnen has been playing LFS? I've played it more than twice, can I have a go too please Ron?
Quote from JJ72 :no way, Hakkinen is one of the funniest guy in F1!

as is Kimi, he is just way too underrated, as he doesn't give a shite about pleasing the media
Quote from csurdongulos :as is Kimi, he is just way too underrated, as he doesn't give a shite about pleasing the media

Neither did Jan Magnussen - he didn't last for long in the "classy" F1 circus
Quote from S0ul :Yeah,he was the coolest guy in F1! But of course he still exists,you could see him race in DTM if thats broadcastet in Britain.

Coolest? My memory of him on one knee weeping behind the bushes is still as fresh as ever...

Was a nice driver with a good personality though...
Quote :The man who came back on the radar when he turned up in Brazil for last month's season-ender, and who has since twice spent time in the McLaren F1 simulator, told reporters that the test was "absolutely serious."

I've always wondered what kind of simulators F1 teams has...? I don't think they use the latest F1 Arcade Championship game from Sony but neither I think they are more advanced than latest racing sims. Those probably just concentrate on accurate track modelling or something and I guess something similar to Force Dynamics to test the driver physically.
#14 - Gunn
Mika tried to score a seat in the 2006 season too, but missed out.
If you ask me, it was just a PR trick, that propably serves both Mercedes' DTM & F1 teams and therefore helps them selling a few more of those ugly SUV's. Of course Mika agreed to do it, because I don't think he dislikes either driving an F1 car or having a little comeback on the headlines.
he was a gd bit of the pace to !hes not as good as he was

Hakkinen Testing!
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG