The online racing simulator
Are You A Sim-Racing Dad?
(99 posts, started )
wow your kids are starting young hope they keep at it!!!
i'm a bit late to the party, but my dad is a sim-racing dad. i got him hooked on LFS almost a year ago, but he was a demo racer until a few months back when i bought him is s2 license.

he's pretty quick, and has no problems keeping up (or even leading) some of our races (2-8 racers). and that was with a horrid frame rate...best: 30fps, avg: 20fps, traffic: 8fps. I don't know how he did it. i just upgraded his video card last night and tripled his average frame rate. he's probably going to stomp all over me on the track now
Lte to the thread also, I am Dad to 14 week old George. He hasnt mastered clipping apex's yet but he sure can soak the wheel with dribble without a second thought!!!
Just stumbled across this thread!

I am also a Sim racing Dad. My 4 year old son likes "the driving game", not quite as much as "the train game" (Trainz Simulator 2006) but the glint in his eye is there

He used to like just crashing into the walls. He lets me get the car up to speed and then he takes the wheel and turns into the wall. Then he insists that I change to the exterior camera and check out the damage. He finds it hilarious when I cry out and tell him what damage he has done to my car!!

More recently he has been able to steer the car (albeit slowly) around Aston Cadet. When I praised him he wanted to do it again and then he wanted to show his Mum and his Nana.

His Mum is slightly interested in LFS and has tried driving a few times but she is not hooked like I am.

Tim

ps I am 31.

edit: pps I am also really good at killing off threads!!
sim racing dad since 4 days now
atm her legs look more like a soccer player than a racer though
Congrats, Da Hoe! Give her about 2 years and she'll be whoopin your butt racing .

Oh, and girls are awesome! Start now and whisper racing, cars, trucks, various sports related stuff in her ears. Make sure to take some of the midnight feedings so you can sit alone with her in your arms while watching racing, soccer, hockey, whatever sport is on the television, hehehe . My 6 year old watched hockey from the moment she came home. We would be playing on the floor while I had hockey on TV and she would stretch her neck out to see the TV behind her. Now at 6, she still likes to watch hockey with me, and understands some of the stuff that's going on.

She races and flys on the computer, flies RC airplanes, loves hockey, baseball, and basketball. My only problem is when now and then I hear "Daaaaaaadddddyyyyy, wil you come play Barbies with me?" AAaaarrrggghhhh!!!!
Also known as conditioning. Well done.
Quote from Forbin :Also known as conditioning. Well done.

Yea! One funny thing is, as she had colic, we had some very long nights. I was working 12 hour shifts at the time, which that particular schedule gave us 8 days off in a row every month. So, I was up many many nights with her. I would turn on VH1 Classics and they were frequently playing the Metallica with the San Francisco Orchestra. Years later, I'm flipping through music channels asking her if she likes this song or that song. She is up at the table playing Playdoo and saying, No, I don't like that one, to nearly everything. Then I found Metallica playing and of course kept it there and turned up the volume a bit. A bit into the song, I look over and she is doing a mini-headbang to Metallica!!! Ain't life sweet!
Great start. Just makes sure she never hears any emo or she'll be eternally depressed.
Quote from sweeney :Another Sim-Dad here.. daughter of 10 months sits on my lap and presses all the pretty coloured buttons on the wheel, usually Look Left / Right whilst i'm trying to go round corners...

same here! apart from my little un is 13 months old, She loves trying to take my shifter out of 4th and put it into 1st/3rd at the worst possible moment!
#87 - aoun
I am a sim-uncle even though im still 16!! =)

My nephews have played LFS but never online...
Quote from Gunn :Once I have a large enough sample I will send each Dad a survey to gather information. There will be an opportunity to write down any interesting or amusing/embarassing situations that Sim Dad may have gotten into. The survey should help to highlight what lifestyle factors effect our Sim Dads' efforts to race and maybe what their families go through to accomodate his hobby.

If successful I will write it all up for public interest (and perhaps amusement), I think it could be interesting to find out what Dads are up to in the sim racing world, and maybe you young racers can discover why all of these old bastards are beating you to the podium

Yo Gunn!!! From the very first post... So..... What ever happened to this?

Oh, and now that the 3 year old girl is playing games on the computer like "big sister" is, I'll have her playing LFS soon too. Though I only have 2 PCs and 2 wheels, so I may be out of luck soon, hehe.
Simdad here. I have a 10-year old son who enjoys LFS, though at the moment most of the fun for him is crashing and seeing how much damage he can do to the car, usually BF1. But he does enjoy the FOX/BLGP combo, and can actually do a decent time (1:09.78 PB).
A dad here as well, for a son of 1,5 years. I wonder how you others seem to find time for racing. But I've got a renovation project in my apartment, and a dog that needs to be walked every day. When the renovation is done and our son can take the dog out then perhaps
romus, it gets better. They start going to bed at a certain time and then you have some free time for yourself to do whatever you want. But then, they get a bit older yet and start arguing about going to bed, rather than screaming and crying as a baby when you want them to bed. That is when instead of holding, rocking, and consoling them, you are yelling "it's bedtime! Get to bed NOW!"

Eventually, they become teenagers and they don't like you any more. You are stupid, have no idea what you are talking about, and they don't want to hang out with you anymore. Then you have all the time in the world for yourself, until they grow up, get married, and are bringing the grandkids over all the time. That will be the best time. When they start to annoy, you just send them home.
Me too, three kids.
One girl and two sons - and all like racing.

So if they clean up the mess in their rooms they are allowed to have a go.

My DFP surely can cope with this load.
One more
I win! 4 sons (28,25 boys and 20,16 girls ).
And a grandkid (my hope.none of the sons like racing,maybe because some broken bones they see in their father sometimes...)
State Rallye champion 1986 and 87.
And the Peter Pan complex makes me ride trail motorcycles up to now.
Need terapy...:spin:
Have played racing simulators on a glorious IBM PC XT.
Resuming, a live museum .
So,when we will get an "Over 40th" league?
Ok it isnt about my dad, but my sister is quite fast in LFS. 1.14.xx in BL2 and 1.35.5x in BL1 with XFG. He can drive with XRT and others too.
Quote from mrodgers :romus, it gets better. They start going to bed at a certain time and then you have some free time for yourself to do whatever you want. But then, they get a bit older yet and start arguing about going to bed, rather than screaming and crying as a baby when you want them to bed. That is when instead of holding, rocking, and consoling them, you are yelling "it's bedtime! Get to bed NOW!"

Eventually, they become teenagers and they don't like you any more. You are stupid, have no idea what you are talking about, and they don't want to hang out with you anymore. Then you have all the time in the world for yourself, until they grow up, get married, and are bringing the grandkids over all the time. That will be the best time. When they start to annoy, you just send them home.

LOLOLOLOL thats hilariuos
I'm not a sim-dad yet, but I will be in December, hopefully before he or she can walk I'll have it steering hah.
Quote from MattxMosh :I'm not a sim-dad yet, but I will be in December, hopefully before he or she can walk I'll have it steering hah.

Congratulations

Are You A Sim-Racing Dad?
(99 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG