The online racing simulator
Realism/Realistic or Enjoyment?
(52 posts, started )

Poll : Realistic/Realism or Enjoyment

Realistic/Realism
Enjoyment
Realism/Realistic or Enjoyment?
Now thats a good question. Do you play LFS for realism/realistic approach or do you play for the enjoyment value?

Me, well, here is my vote. Enjoyment. Why

Well here's why. I use the CSR MOd ( thats well known ) and I also use the wheel view with stupid POV, but I enjoy it. Also, LFS has given me the enjoyment value no other ever has. I got to promote LFS at a major car show in 2005 ( MPH2005 show ) I got to meet so many new friends, that I actually met ( not just over webcam or IRC ) I got to met the people behind LFS and have a beer with them. I got to "enjoy" so many new things that I have never experienced with anything else I have ever done.

Realism. Well for me, personally, if I wanted realism, I would pop to work and take for a drive a WRX ST, a Evo 9, a Focus ST, RX8. OK I am lucky where I work, but if I wanted realism, I would go and get it. If I wanted enjoyment, then I know where I can get it.

So my question is....finally

DO you play LFS for the Realism/Realistic approach or for enjoyment?

Thank you for reading

Fordie
Ultimately, of course it is enjoyment. But the more realism I get, up to a point where silliness occurs (e.g. driver health, or having to repair tyre valves, or having to build/mod the car in the first place), the more enjoyment I will derive.

If it was all about pure 'enjoyment' we'd all be playing something shit like Gran Turismo Online and having huge forgiving slip curves everywhere. The realism, and the restrictions that that brings, is what makes it so much fun.

For me at least.
I totally agree with Tristan.

The more realistic it gets the more I enjoy playing and mastering it.
Tristan said it best, nothing more to add
In my view a very realistic experience is a part of the enjoyment. some parts of real racing don't have to be simulated because they take up a lot of time that most of us don't have but I think a more realistic approach to for instance starting and changing gears would be better. That is what I like about NetKar, however I don't play that near as much as LFS.

In terms of things like the view you use, I don't think that matters alot, I always drive from the in-car view but the experience doesn't really change.

edit: tristan says it better then me...
I play it for both those reasons.
Yeah i wish there was a both choice in there.

I play because i thouroughly enjoy it and because its realistic.

I raced, no rather the term played or fooled around with Carbon at a friends house. He was ranting and raving about it and after i did a few corners i got off his machine.

His response is, "it's just too real,how the physics, dont you feel like your driving the car, its brilliant hey?". I almost sacrificed a bottle over his head but it was too full of beer so i held back.
Both, actually, but in the end only the enjoyment matters, by whatever means you attain it.

In LFS, I get my enjoyment from the realistic and indirect approach of the physics model. Instead of tuning and tweaking tyre slip curves to make a car behave like it's real life counterpart, we just take a very good tyre model, add a suspension to it, tuck it on a car body and see what happens. This approach can work if the used components are good enough - and in LFS it does.

There are, of course, many other points that make LFS what it is, up and foremost the awesome community paired with the awesome developers. For my part it's the combination of these three major points, that make LFS so addictive and the best online racing simulator there is.
Quote from AndroidXP :
There are, of course, many other points that make LFS what it is, up and foremost the awesome community paired with the awesome developers. For my part it's the combination of these three major points, that make LFS so addictive and the best online racing simulator there is.

You hit the nail on the head, there are so many things, but all I was suggesting was, maybe people in my position. I have 3 children now, baby 11 months, so I like to pick up and go with LFS. Realism doesn't count for me anymore, its pure satisfaction / enjoyment values now. I find some people I know, I race, and I enjoy it, real or not, if that makes sense? Just intreaged how many others done the same as for me, when LFS first started, it was all about how you felt connected to the car and track, you can change this value, and that value, and do this to the setup and do that to the setup.

A bit vague, but hope you get my feeling?
I pick realism becuase its like driving ur car, we can compare the movement of the real car with the LFS car. We can learn a lot of things like braking with time taking curves with more careful etc. etc. etc... Lot of things.

Enjoyment too, its exiting going first or even more trying to get the first in the line, making hotlaps, taking poles, winning, having fair races. And about crashes, who likes crashes? no one, its funny when the first place crash and BOOM everyone crash him xD haha and then restart the race for a serious race.
I like LFS cuz both things.

Sorry for the bad english.
When it comes to "racing games" you can't really have one without the other. (IMO). Something that's realistic must surely be enjoyable, and something enjoyable must be realistic to a certain extent. Like others said, though, there's a lot of other stuff to like about LFS.
Yep, option 3: "both" :up:

Naturally, enjoyment is the first priority for any game I play. But for anything that claims to be a simulation, the more realistic the gameplay, the more enjoyable it is. GPL was my first sim experience so the bar was set pretty high, in both the fun and realism departments (once I was actually able to control the bloody cars!). I'm glad to say LFS is right up there

I remember, in the late 90s, thinking NFS on a PC with a stick was the bomb (after years of arcade machines and C64 games). Then Gran Turismo on the PS1 was the pinnacle. Then I found GPL and realised that everything else was merely a game. A fun game, of course, but not a simulation by any means. It's all about perspective with games. Because of GPL I found LFS and realised GPL wasn't just a wierd anomaly and race-sims could be bloody awesome - loads of fun and very realistic :up:
Option 3 for me. LFS is the only Sim I really enjoy the realism ! If it was just about enjoyment I would play TM Nations... I dont.
Both, too... I enjoy racing as realistically as possible without the downsides/risks of real motorsport... The good community and the close contact to the devs just add to that package, making it even better...
Games are entertainment. From entertainment you usually get enjoyment. And sims are games too. So I think the question is pointless.
I play LFS purely for enjoyment/entertainment. No other reason. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't still be racing a few times a week after a good couple of years of playing. Having realistic physics etc all matter to me because they make it more fun and more enjoyable.

I look at it this way, if a game was released tomorrow, that had even more realistic physics, and an even more accurate tyre model, but wasn't fun or stimulating to drive - perhaps because no online play, or because it looks/sounds like something from 1994, or maybe it only has dull and uninspired tracks, and a community full of elitiest gits, would you still play it like you play LFS?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Hmmm

I voted realism.

You see, when you have participated in a race, with many others, and did well - Then It`s pure joyride to watch the replay, from different cars and different angles etc.

No other sim gives you the same feeling, of "the real thing" as Lfs does. I have tried the most of the sims/cargames, when my brother got a pc and started to drive these sims. I tried to make his computer up to the standards, and saw all of these car games/simulators. I drove a few miles, but I was not hooked at all. Then I stumbled over this ugly little demo of a car sim called Live for speed. I installled it, and I didn`t own a wheel that time

I got hooked instantly - What was this !? The cars were hard to drive, and they reacted as you would suppose a car should act ! From day one, no, no, no ! From the first minute, I knew this was different, and worthwhile "playing". I borrowed an old wheel from my brother, and the rest is history. (For me )

I have bougth Toca racedriver, and Gtr2 for a lot of money. I have played with these two games, for an hour, or so ! They don`t enchant me, as Live For Speed does. Because ...

THEY HAVE NO SOUL !
Sorry, but naff poll Fordie.

IMO the two are intertwined in a racing sim, you can't have one without the other.
I remember some years back when I was reading some magazines and net sites about GPL and it was always mentienod to be a very, very hard game with very very hard driving model. It was always said in such manner that you could expect to shoot yourself after playing it, simply because it was too hard and punishing. I remember when I first tried GPL and it was pure enjoyment. After ISI's Sportcar GT it felt so dynamic, real and plain awesome that I couldn't first believe that I was driving an old F1 car. I didn't know much about realism or physics at that point (still long way to go ) but the game/sim felt just so good. After that I've been a physics freak with games/sims. Basically 3 games have "felt good", and these are GPL, Nas2003 and LFS. All because they feel so good.

The good feeling comes from realistic handling, realistic meaning that the cars handle like I could expect them to handle in real life. There is the fullest enjoyment where the fullest physics are
I, along with probably alot others wanted to vote for both. I think you should have made the options checkable, not one or the other.

The enjoyment for me mainly comes with the realism, I enjoy a game much more if it handles right because this totally adds to the immersion.
Sure I can enjoy a game if it's not realistic, but those games are just ordinary fun. LFS is realistic fun!
IMO, Realism brings enjoyment.More realistic the sim, more enjoyment you might get.
Both, play it because its realistic AND fun, if it was just realistic and not fun, I wouldnt play it, if it were just fun and not realistic I wouldnt play it, luckly its both .

Dan,
That's like asking, would you take your hot dog with the bread, or the sausage?

Voted for Enjoyment anyway, because thats why I play games in general. It usually comes from realism, yeah, but I'd still play the game if it produced as much of enjoyment without realism at all. Get it? If there was a totally ultra-unrealistic ass-wiping game, but it would satisfy me as much as LFS, hell yeah I would play it.
i wanted to select both there. realism brings enjoyment to the game for me.
i like the realism in :lfs: - i enjoy it - so what shoud i vote?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG