The online racing simulator
Race starts after last patch.......
I can't remember if this came up or not because the last change was quite a while ago but......

I remember before the last change that if you gave 100% throttle at race start you would sit there and spin your tires while most other people passed you by. Now it seems that 100% throttle is the best way to start every race.

I loved it when you had to feed the throttle in "back in the day"

Anyone else miss this?

speedfreak227
#2 - ZORER
i don't remember that but i don't like the current full throttle start thing.
Scawen said few months ago somewhere that will be working on the false start system "soon". Though that won't make any difference to the full throttle starting...
Quote from deggis :Scawen said few months ago somewhere that will be working on the false start system "soon". Though that won't make any difference to the full throttle starting...

But you have to time it

Gotta love it
Maybe the new tyre physics affects it somehow.

Actually some time ago one person had made a drag setup (XRT) and posted his time and set on the forum. I tryed it and even I'm a mouse user I didn't get so much worse time. I was little surprised as I thought I would get much worse result, because I have to use max throttle in the start. So maybe there is indeed something wrong.
FXR and XRR benefit from full thorttle start because they spin up the turbine and thus get more hp at start. We need the pop-corn back
max accel = good start =soft rear sus + soft rear tyre pressures ... racin set up would be slow
Quote from Primoz :...We need the pop-corn back

I dont think, its gone!?

Or I have to ask myself, what I sometimes hear coming from my car.
Quote from Primoz :FXR and XRR benefit from full thorttle start because they spin up the turbine and thus get more hp at start. We need the pop-corn back

right, and limit fzr's revs to 7000

edit: and i fully agree that throttle control should be vital if you want to make a good start
that is A MUST
There needs to be 'load' simulated in LFS. This would allow better engine damage, and better turbo simulation.
Quote from speedfreak227 :

I remember before the last change that if you gave 100% throttle at race start you would sit there and spin your tires while most other people passed you by. Now it seems that 100% throttle is the best way to start every race.

I think I do recall what you are referring to. I think it's still there, but not as severe. I know in Fox or MRT you have to do some slight wheel and throttle feathering to get the maximum start. But I do recall there being a lot more cars spinning tires ( or spinning sideways) at the green in the past.
Quote from Flycantbird :I think I do recall what you are referring to. I think it's still there, but not as severe. I know in Fox or MRT you have to do some slight wheel and throttle feathering to get the maximum start. But I do recall there being a lot more cars spinning tires ( or spinning sideways) at the green in the past.

back then i used to race mostly the FOX and the GTR cars. if you gave full throttle at the start you'd be left sitting in a cloud of smoke. i miss those days. it's like we've got launch control now. :weeping:

speedfreak227
The reason people didn't full throttle before in S1 is because the engine damage was more severe then, if you'd full throttle at the start, you could already damage your engine before the race!

In S2, the engine damage isn't that severe anymore so people just full throttle without having to care.
Quote from (SaM) :The reason people didn't full throttle before in S1 is because the engine damage was more severe then, if you'd full throttle at the start, you could already damage your engine before the race!

In S2, the engine damage isn't that severe anymore so people just full throttle without having to care.

that's not it at all. with cars in S1 if you gave full throttle you would just sit there burning your tires off while everyone who was feathering the throttle would blow past you. the starts were FAR more fun when it took some skill.

speedfreak227
I hate to break it to you, but last time I checked the longitudinal grip curve hasn't changed at all since S1. I can't remember sitting at the start burning the tyres back then, either. I guess it's just your imagination.
Quote from AndroidXP :I hate to break it to you, but last time I checked the longitudinal grip curve hasn't changed at all since S1. I can't remember sitting at the start burning the tyres back then, either. I guess it's just your imagination.

you don't remember not being able to "floor it" at the start of a race before?
speedfreak227
I thought "burning the tires off" was new when we got the S2 demo back in April of 05 .

I think I remember everyone going nuts over tire temps and such. After all, we didn't have pitstops in S1, did we?

disclaimer, I was never an S1 driver, only S1 demo. I bought both licenses when S2 was released. So, I may be wrong.
Quote from mrodgers :I thought "burning the tires off" was new when we got the S2 demo back in April of 05 .

I think I remember everyone going nuts over tire temps and such. After all, we didn't have pitstops in S1, did we?

disclaimer, I was never an S1 driver, only S1 demo. I bought both licenses when S2 was released. So, I may be wrong.

ok, you couldn't technically "burn them off" but you could spin them and get next to zero traction.

does nobody remember it that way i do?

speedfreak227
Seriously, no. The only thing I can relate to is that we didn't have rev limiters back then, so we automatically had to do a bit more of a controlled start, because just flooring would've damaged the engine. Then again, maybe it's just my memory?
Nope, I've always always always done starts in the same way - full throttle. There has never been a period when you didn't need to. Even the LX6 in S1 was quickest away with full throttle (okay, maybe a bit of a lift, but that was the extreme back then).

Anyone who thinks we used to sit there and barely accelerate has adjusted their memories.
Back in S1, I remember I always held the car at half throttle as the red lights were blinking, then went to full throttle right as the lights turned green and held full throttle all the way up to the first corner. I've never had to feather the throttle, as much as I'd like to
Quote from Primoz :FXR and XRR benefit from full thorttle start because they spin up the turbine and thus get more hp at start. We need the pop-corn back

I often get pop-corn in the fxr, but it happens due to over down-shifting, go on a straigh and change from 6th for 1st, I guarentee you will find moving after very difficult
The only time I've ever feathered the throttle was with the fo8 before patch U to keep the rear end in check and even then I was still spinning the tires like mad. So I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'd like to be able to feather the throttle and accomplish something with it, but it's always been full throttle starts being the most consistent/fastest way to get off the line.
Quote from tristancliffe :Nope, I've always always always done starts in the same way - full throttle. There has never been a period when you didn't need to. Even the LX6 in S1 was quickest away with full throttle (okay, maybe a bit of a lift, but that was the extreme back then).

In that case your skill in S1 times was much better than mine atm! I've just did 3 examples in LX6:
1) cut-on_blip-on_full throttle
2) cut-off_blip-off_full throttle
3) cut-on_blip-on_easy start
I could manage to do a lot of engine damage even when cut and blip was on. Was full throttle start the fastest way - I don't know. But if it was, I don't think it was worth the engine damage it caused (at least when I'm driving).

cut = throttle cut on upshift
blip = throttle blip on downsift

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG