The online racing simulator
Creating RAF files on the fly
(12 posts, started )
Could there be a feature to create RAF files on the fly? Saving & playing the replay and having to look for the right lap is sometimes very tedious, and you can only use it in Hotlap.

My suggestion is to have a button or a command or something that once pressed starts generating a RAF file the next time you cross the s/f line, or a new race starts. Then a new file is created for each lap with some naming convention to spot the one/s you want later.

I know RAF files are pretty heavy but something can be done about that.

BTW: Can something like this be done via InSim/Outgauge?
A little bump

nobody likes or uses telemetry?
I agree that the way it currently works is awkward. It would be handy if LFS could automatically (and optionally) create a RAF file for each lap.

It could work in the same way as with replays:
- The RAF data is written to temporary files.
- The temp files get standard names, e.g. "temp_lap1.raf", "temp_lap2.raf".
- The temp files are wiped each time you start a race.
- During a race, you can press a button to save a certain lap. A dialog pops up where you can enter the lap number, or all laps if you don't enter a number.
- Saving is actually copying the temp RAF file. The new file is named automatically, e.g. "<driver>_<car>_<track>_<lap number>_<laptime>.raf".
The problem I can see with this is that I would slow down LFS a fair bit I imagine, the current way, although a little "clunky", works reasonably well.

Dan,
Quote from danowat :The problem I can see with this is that I would slow down LFS a fair bit I imagine

I don't think it's such a performance hit. My (low-end) PC can create a RAF file while running the replay at 4x or 8x speed, and I still get a decent fps.

Quote :the current way, although a little "clunky", works reasonably well.

It works, but it's awkward. When you want to improve your driving by analyzing, you have to:
1. Drive a few laps.
2. Run the replay.
3. Fast-forward to the lap before an interesting lap (assuming you remember which one).
4. Start saving the RAF, and fast-forward to the end of the lap.
5. Repeat step 3 and 4. (Sometimes you will have to restart the replay, e.g. if the final section of lap 11 and the first section of lap 12 were good.)
6. Switch to the analyzer app. Load and inspect the results. Then go to step 1.

That's a looong do - learn - improve cycle.

With automatic saving of RAF files, you could omit the manual labour:
1. Drive a few laps.
2. Switch to the analyzer app. Load and inspect the results. Then go to step 1.

Learning from analyzing would be much more effective. And more fun.
#6 - axus
This would allow multiplayer telemetry, I think - for your own car anyway, which is realistic - and that'd be great.
I think the current system is OK. In real life getting logged data is awkward. You gotta set up the logger, do your run, download the data from the logger before you can analyse it.

Besides, until you complete a lap you don't know if it is worth logging the data.
Quote from Gentlefoot :I think the current system is OK. In real life getting logged data is awkward. You gotta set up the logger, do your run, download the data from the logger before you can analyse it.

Besides, until you complete a lap you don't know if it is worth logging the data.

Come on, you can't be serious. Just because is har IRL doesn't mean we have to suffer it too, being in front of a computer has it's advantages.

I suggest being it disabled by default and enabling it by pressing a button, and about multiplayer telemetry from other cars... I don't think people would like it (I don't mind)
Quote from Eldanor :Come on, you can't be serious. Just because is har IRL doesn't mean we have to suffer it too, being in front of a computer has it's advantages.

I suggest being it disabled by default and enabling it by pressing a button, and about multiplayer telemetry from other cars... I don't think people would like it (I don't mind)

All I'm saying is it aint that much of a problem and there are 101 more important things the devs could be working on. Like better engine sound or LSD preload for example.
Quote from Gentlefoot :All I'm saying is it aint that much of a problem and there are 101 more important things the devs could be working on. Like better engine sound or LSD preload for example.

Ok, and I agree with you, if I have to choose from new Transmission or RAF files I won't think twice

I'm only suggesting a small improvement to code between big things
Quote from Eldanor :Ok, and I agree with you, if I have to choose from new Transmission or RAF files I won't think twice

I'm only suggesting a small improvement to code between big things

And there's nothing wrong with that. Sorry if I sounded like I was just dissing your suggestion. I didn't mean to come across like that.

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG