The online racing simulator
You can speak english?
(87 posts, started )
I've been learning english since 1st grade elementary......hope my grammar's good.
Quote from CSU1 ::riceboy: HARRO!

reminds me of the japanese people, who have problem with the difference between "R" and "L"
(in case you don't know: In Japanese the same "letter" is used for "R" and "L", the pronouciation is a mixed thing)

and btw: me not speak english
I am currently on a foundation course with my new job. There are people from all over the world on this course, from Finland to Indonesia and South America.

Almost every one of them can speak near perfect english, at least enough to learn about the technical features of the oil industry!

I have a great respect for these people, I feel so ignorant compared to them. Like many of you have said, English is the international language and it has so much media backing, that you cannot really get away from it. I just wish that I had been taught a second language from an earlier age, i.e. from 5 onwards. By the time I got to high school I was too silly to realise the major advantages that come with knowing multiple languages.

Ah well there is still time I guess if I really need to learn another language, i.e. through my work.
I was thinking a lot about my english (mainly because i saw this thread recently, i was planning to post there some clever words, but this topic is fresh so I'll post here :d ) and i've come to the conclusion that i can't judge how good my english realy is, because i can't say it impartially. Only the people who can speak with me (or read my posts) could tell how good my english realy is , imho. 'Hope i expressed myself correctly
Originally posted by Blackout:
"...I've also noticed that I think in english occasionally..."
Same thing happens with me, but not with my mother language. I live in slovakia, and the strange thing is, that i use english more than slovak language :| because of this iam forgeting words, and i find it hard to speak fluently slovak ... iam starting to speak english better ( or at least more fluently ) than slovak language. And thats something :O
I have learned english for 6-7 years (in school) . But I think I've imporved a lot since I'm visiting this forum, so THANK YOU all =] (also computer games have been a great help for me ... at least the thousands of hours wasted in front of the monitor had some good effect on me )
Quote from frokki :7 years of english studying is mandatory here, for every child. 85% of them will continue for 3-5 more years.

Nope. You can study what ever language you want as long as they teach it in your school. Only swedish is (was?) mandatory.
/me was watching cartoon network and learned english.
it was just translated with text
not that German thing
(not being rude)

not using english IRL, actually.
except in english class.
- Which watch? :bowdown:
- Now six.
- Such much?!
- Whom how [for me not/perceprion differs]
- Novosibrisk University finisht?
- A-a-ask!... [you ask?! of course!!!]

I use to speak about 2 hours in a week with native speakers, but here there are not many of them.

Sometimes I feel that I hit the vocabulary wall - I have to say an idea for which i don't know a word, even though my vocabulary is one of the largest here (no boasting). So I usually use long workarounds, and I guess, my speech would seem nerdy to you.

Why? Writing in the forum is a different thing, you have enough time to think on a sentence, look into vocabulary and to write a good structured sentence. When speaking, we don't have all these nice computer helps. We don't use complex subject and object constructions, few dare to say "despite A does B, C does D", we'd rather say "A does B, but C does D". You'd use passive voice ("I've been told") or make a verb of a noun ("to fax"), but we have no such habbit (because of grammar, for example, we use suffixes to make verbs, and since they are absent in English, mostly we prefer to say a long workaround sentence, or just don't dare to experiment). And there are a lot of short phrases that you use to say in spoken language, but we don't know them.

[added] I have read a some English prose and poems, and there I feel helpless, especially in poems I don't know 1/2 of the words! And those different inversive constructions ("Men we must give them..."). Flexible English is, but we don't know how to use that and in a very strict manner we speak. (did I inverse correctly? )
Detail, you make it sound so complex :S
I think speaking is actually more easier because you don't have to care about your spelling or punctuation so much, or about the structures and you just can shout out the words as they are pronounced. But I don't think the grammar so much anyway, I go by the ear and what feels right. I guess you could call that fluent then
I think a lot of European languages are built on very similar rules, and the rules are fairly defined (although local dialects bend them anyway).

But English, I gather, has less rules initially, more bending locally, and some very peculiar habits in general. I've been told often that English is a much harder language to learn than say Italian or French. German is much closer to English in structure. Also, English is more tolerant of words being in the wrong order - if I write a fax in pigeon-french they won't understand me. If they write one back in pigeon-english I probably will.

But 'foreigners' tend to learn English as pure English, and as such obey rules that the English themselves are very lax on. Thus, as the internet demonstrates, English is often better written by non-English speakers.

We are too lazy in general to have any appreciation for apostrophes, sentence structure, capitalisation in our OWN language, and so get beaten by other countries (just like in every single sport ever).

I don't count American as English. It's so bastardised and ruined that American should be defined as a separate, inferior language. Hell, they can't even do all the letters in Aluminium. And their grasp of ...ato words is very weak. Or should that be week?

Edit: I don't claim to be perfect at my language. I make mistakes, especially on internet posts. But I try, and I make an effort. Most people, it seems, don't. If you see a missing (or extra) letter/punctuation mark then feel free to point it out, but bear in mind that picking on someone trying is the second lowest form of wit. Picking on someone who doesn't try is fair game.
#35 - CSU1
Quote from herki :reminds me of the japanese people, who have problem with the difference between "R" and "L"
(in case you don't know: In Japanese the same "letter" is used for "R" and "L", the pronouciation is a mixed thing)

and btw: me not speak english

yes!
I understand almost everyting in speech and in text.
I can't talk as good I would like to...but at least I can type rather good.

Few years ago I spoted myself thinking in English. It is wierd and it's getting
worse with every day. If I think back to today...maybe about 30% of all my
"thoughts" was in English Is it good or bad I don't now...but for sure it's wierd illepall
Quote from herki :reminds me of the japanese people, who have problem with the difference between "R" and "L"

They dont have the Lamones.

I dont have to speak english at all and I think, I wouldnt be able to do so very well. (At least, you dont see the commas in speech )
#38 - JTbo
I would be very pleased if all languages except english would be banned from world, then everyone could understand everyone, I think that in future this may happen to some degree, but I'm afraid it is not something that some goverments will just look from side.
Quote from CSU1 :Lmao!!! did one of the mod's just rename this thread "You Can Speak English" from "Can you speak English" or "Who can spaek English"??? or am I goin nuts???illepall

your going nuts , the title hasn't changed
#41 - Jakg
i have a great "Borat-Style" (albeit waaaaay before Borat was put on telly) book called "Speak well English" which is bloody hilarious

EDIT - Full Title "Speak Well English: An Guide for Aliens to Successful Intercourse in the Correctly English Mode"

You can get it here
i will can talk very english too because i lesson.
#43 - JJ72
We were taught english at about the age of 3, grammar and sentence structures come after age of 6, and then it's on going training on writting, listening, oral, comprehension etc etc.

Generally, the english standard is quite good in primary school level, however as people tend to think in chinese language, their english gets less and less authentic as they grow older, largely because of the vague nature of our localized chinese language affecting they way they compose sentenses in english, as if they know all the words but somehow fail to make sense with a simple sentense.

I've learnt a lot on written and spoken english on the Simbin Forum and RSC, it
's quite fortunate to be exposed to proper english from native speakers at that time, instead of picking up the common local errors. I am always into british bands as well so that surely helps, and last year when I went to London for my study, I've picked up some nice english accent....pretty useful when picking up local girls I must say!!!
in daily life ? rarely to never
professoinally i have to read a lot in english as all scientific papers are writen in english nowerdays especially in engineering
and i do find myself thinking in english more and more often without even noticing
problem is i rarely speak english at all so my pronunciation is getting worse by day plus if you dont speak a language regularly you somehow lose the ability to do it without your tongue being all over the place up to the point where all you say turns into gibberish ... well at least it happens for me

sadly english is the only foreign language im still able to speak at all ... my spanish is bloddy pathetic (not that i ever was any good at it in the first place) and ive never gotten around to learn all those other languages ive always wanted to speak fluently
but i swear to god that at some point in my life i will be able to speak finnish ... any language where you can put two "ä" or any two vowels right behind each other is effing great

Quote from XCNuse :i [...] see flags and put my mouse over them to see countries i've never even heard of before

ive been told that happens a lot if youre a us citizen

Quote from tristancliffe :I think a lot of European languages are built on very similar rules, and the rules are fairly defined (although local dialects bend them anyway).

ypir probably thinking of romanic languages here which indeed are very much the same (italian spanish portuguese and french) but then theres also the large amount of slavic languages in europe and the nordic ones as well
most european languagues fit into one of these two groups and thus are very similar to others out of that group
and then you of course have the small amount of germanic languagues and gaelic and finnish as outsides the latter of which can only be descibed as obscene

Quote :I've been told often that English is a much harder language to learn than say Italian or French. German is much closer to English in structure.

depends a lot on your language background
i for one have tremendous difficulties to get to grips with romanic grammar ... and ive bee through the drill twice if learned latin and spanish and i remember next to nothing about wither language
with english grammar on the other hand iver never had any serious problems

Quote from Jakg :i have a great "Borat-Style" (albeit waaaaay before Borat was put on telly) book called "Speak well English" which is bloody hilarious

EDIT - Full Title "Speak Well English: An Guide for Aliens to Successful Intercourse in the Correctly English Mode"

ive got a similar book called "on the backside please" which focuses on typical denglish mistakes
very good read for any german who wants to improve he english a bit
Even that spamming forums could be "useless waste of time" it clearly helps to sustain language skills. At least I honestly think that my English (not sure about verbal skills) but especially vocabulary is better than I ever had in school. I have never cared about the actual grammar rules, not even in my native language, as long as it just "looks" right. I have a habit of often checking correct spelling or alternative meanings from a virtual dictionary if I'm not sure about some word. I wish I had been more active in English speaking forums when I was still in upper secondary school because it would have nicely replaced homeworks which I usually didn't do.
I started learning English when i started to learn to talk. That's an obvious. But i am learnin spanish in school now, it's barely enough to carry out a conversation.
I started learning english very early, but was mainly numbers and small stuff like that. I started to actually learn english when i was around 16/17, wich was when my sister´s boyfriend from the exchange student came to my house and we shared a room, little after that i went my self to the US and spent about a year there, that was when i actually could speak decently. Im suck on writting, but i can speak with a person much much better tham what i can write.

I dont use english anywhere elso but the computer, i keep practicing by downloading movies without potuguese subs.
Quote from JTbo :I would be very pleased if all languages except english would be banned from world, then everyone could understand everyone, I think that in future this may happen to some degree, but I'm afraid it is not something that some goverments will just look from side.

If you want to ban your language, fine, but leave alone mine. Keep dreaming on, if you wish, or just keep in mind that languages generally don't follow the kind of dynamics you're suggesting, even when some kind of ruthlessly repressive policy is used to crush the habits of a people. I could speak for hours about such themes and try to explain why your idea sounds so morally and culturally repulsive to me, but I'd probably end up speaking about Beowulf, or Geoffrey Chaucer, or some other ancient (English) book or author that even most English people are nowadays unable to read properly, or about a poet named Dante Alighieri who is generally acknowledged as the father of Italian language. I doubt, in fact, that you ever read something written by Dante. It's never too late to start. Although devoid of its original Italian musicality, this English translation could suffice:

'Consider ye the seed from which ye sprang;
Ye were not made to live like unto brutes,
But for pursuit of virtue and of knowledge.'

If you'll follow this advice maybe in the future you'll understand why your sentence is so repugnant for me, especially when you talk about banning languages. Suggested readings: 1984 and Politics and the English Language, George Orwell.

To be back on topic in this off topic section of the forum, I can read English because of some technical and artistical interests. I can read it much better than I write it, and much, much better than I speak it, but that's normal, especially when you don't have the time or chance to practice.
Quote from Albieg :If you want to ban your language, fine, but leave alone mine. Keep dreaming on, if you wish, or just keep in mind that languages generally don't follow the kind of dynamics you're suggesting, even when some kind of ruthlessly repressive policy is used to crush the habits of a people. I could speak for hours about such themes and try to explain why your idea sounds so morally and culturally repulsive to me, but I'd probably end up speaking about Beowulf, or Geoffrey Chaucer, or some other ancient (English) book or author that even most English people are nowadays unable to read properly, or about a poet named Dante Alighieri who is generally acknowledged as the father of Italian language. I doubt, in fact, that you ever read something written by Dante. It's never too late to start. Although devoid of its original Italian musicality, this English translation could suffice:

'Consider ye the seed from which ye sprang;
Ye were not made to live like unto brutes,
But for pursuit of virtue and of knowledge.'

If you'll follow this advice maybe in the future you'll understand why your sentence is so repugnant for me, especially when you talk about banning languages. Suggested readings: 1984 and Politics and the English Language, George Orwell.

To be back on topic in this off topic section of the forum, I can read English because of some technical and artistical interests. I can read it much better than I write it, and much, much better than I speak it, but that's normal, especially when you don't have the time or chance to practice.

I see where JTbo is coming from but 'banning' is too strong a word. The world is getting smaller by the day and in order for us all to be able to communicate it would be neccessary for some of us to be bi-lingual. As English is spoken more widely (don't mention Chinese) it turns out I won't have to be one of them! I find it amazing that the language from a tiny island off the coast of Europe has spread it's language over a huge part of the world. (Doesn't half piss off the French!)
As a footnote, did you know that Finland is the most English speaking, non English speaking nation in the world? I was in a little village in Finland some time ago and we went into a little cafe. I practised asking for two coffees and some cakes. I went to the counter and recited my order in my best Finnish. The girl behind the counter answered me in English! You can't win.

You can speak english?
(87 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG