The online racing simulator
baning option should be removed
lately i have come across people abusing this feature! for example

the other day someone banned me as soon as i logged on to a server and i was sitting in garage, i had never raced or seen guy before so logged back in and banned again so i was locked out of the server i planned to race later that day.

then again a day later same guy did it again.

this option is a real problem if abused, as i did nothing wrong why should i be disadvantaged by someone.

ive raced alot and people can vounce for me as being a fair racer.

or atleast the guys running the servers should only be allowed.
The person who runs the server has the option to turn off vote-bans. And you have the option to play on another server if you were unfairly banned on one. Look for servers that routinely have admins present and you should have less of a problem.

No way should the banning option should be removed just because you were unjustly banned one time.
I guessed right!!! I knew it must have been you who was banned, and felt aggreved by it. Okay, next time we get a wrecker invasion, I challenge you to NEVER vote-ban them.

Bans are needed as long as there are arse-holes in the world. And I can't see them leaving in the near future.
ya you really have to be careful when your voting to ban someone.. make sure you think twice on it, because if you screw it up and no one votes, that person might turn the table and then have you banned for nothing.. so ya..

but keep in mind.. having it is a serious privelage, LFS would be a mess we couldnt vote to kick/ban
^yup thats happened to me in the demo. i tried to voteban someone but no one voted and then they all voted to ban me and it worked. but now i have s2. much smaller amount of idiots in s2.

We need banning... suggesting it be removed is crazy!! you must just be really pissed about getting banned. take a chill pill and just join another server.
I still thinking banning is over used. If people are blatant wrecks it's acceptable but often kicking is enough. If they come back and get abused (verbally or with there car), then ban. It's just I often see a vote to ban and, although I didn't see anything, people ask me to vote. Now, if it's a vote to kick, I might vote too if I didn't see anything, but to remove someone from the server for ever (well ok it's not for ever) demands proof.

At least that's how I look at it, I can't be the only one, so it should be (a bit) easier to kick people anyway.
#7 - kel64
Quote from Bob Smith :I still thinking banning is over used. If people are blatant wrecks it's acceptable but often kicking is enough. If they come back and get abused (verbally or with there car), then ban. It's just I often see a vote to ban and, although I didn't see anything, people ask me to vote. Now, if it's a vote to kick, I might vote too if I didn't see anything, but to remove someone from the server for ever (well ok it's not for ever) demands proof.

At least that's how I look at it, I can't be the only one, so it should be (a bit) easier to kick people anyway.

I am the same. If I haven't seen anything myself I dont like to ban, though I will vote to kick.
If you get hit by an idiot and it is clear that he did it with purpose, just park your car to safe place and TELL other why you should kick him.

Like ban Hyperactive - reason - stupid posts in lfsforum.net

EDIT. meant to say posts
#9 - ysu
I think banning/kicking is needed, there aren't enough admins. Bad things happen, it gets abused indeed, but it's not the tool, it's the person behind it who's making it bad in that case.

Hyperactive: I can type it up without reason and you'll get banned. This method requires credibility on the server. But if you have that, there's no reason for typing, they'll know you have a good enough reason...so....
Well i must say in the last time as i play to 90% only on our server i didnt see any ideots. The server is any day full of people but i cant remember when i kick/bann someone in the past. I wish there whould be on all servers the same and we dont need this option any longer. But for the situation on other servers at this moment its good to have it
I think the only way to fairly resolve this is have admins sit on their own server and watch everyone racing, then if they judge someone to be deliberately causing a wreck or spoiling other's races, or being abusive, etc. etc, they could ban them.
But who is prepared to sit on a server all day watching others racing?
So we are left with a compromise. Very annoying and unfair to get banned from a genuine mistake that causes a pile up, but it happens occasionally.
Very fair to be able to vote off deliberate wreckers who join servers just to ruin other people's enjoyment.
Somewhere in the middle of this, a workable compromise has to be found.
Perhaps this could be a solution: Instead of having the option to ban someone from the beginning how would it be if you only had the option of kicking. If someone is kicked it would be saved on the main server and at a specific amount of kicks the ban option would be turned on. This statistic of kicks would have to be restarded every 24h so that no one would be brandmarked. Should be possible for the devs to implement this. What do you think?
Quote from LRB_Aly :Perhaps this could be a solution: Instead of having the option to ban someone from the beginning how would it be if you only had the option of kicking. If someone is kicked it would be saved on the main server and at a specific amount of kicks the ban option would be turned on. This statistic of kicks would have to be restarded every 24h so that no one would be brandmarked. Should be possible for the devs to implement this. What do you think?

I quite like the idea!
Another thing making to police servers easier would be: saving replays serverside, if a kick/ban-vote has been initialised (with racetime of when the vote happened in filename). So admins had an easier time identifiying both wreckers and people trying to piss other people by voting to kick/ban them. Also, they could then easily revert "wrong" bans.
One problem relates to this though. And that's the fact we can't check the replay without leaving the server. Many times I've witnessed that there is just "a racing situation", cars get ruined by a small error by the other or both drivers and the other driver sees that it was done purposefully. I have some apologies to make here too...shhh
The Last thing I want to do Is vote to kick/ban someone, I join LFS races to race and have fun, BUT I think the banning option is sadly even more needed in S2 very suprised at the deliberate wrecking that goes on, It's sometimes worse than s1 demo used to be.

Wreckers have no place in LFS Period!!.

The gray area is accidents or mistakes If you crash into someone or ruin there race just say sorry and let the offended driver pass you if possible.

Say nothing ,act as if you did nothing wrong and your heading for trouble and a bad reputation, And your reputation sticks like mud here.

Cheers
John
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from JohnPenn :...act as if you did nothing wrong and your heading for trouble and a bad reputation, And your reputation sticks like mud here.

I guess this is what the name-thief wreckers depend on for their kicks, getting someone innocent blamed for their misdemeanours; thats why I ask people don't vote blindly or as a knee-jerk reaction, as does sometimes happen.
I think there should be the option to remove the option to vote-ban but keep the vote-kick. The server option could be /vote 0, /vote 1, /vote 2 (0=no vote, 1=vote to kick, 2=vote to kick+ban).

With /vote 1 in place, ppl can vote to kick wreckers but people can't be unjustly banned. Although the downside to this is if there is a genuine wrecker, people can't prevent him from re-joining the server if he's kicked.
i dont see whats the problem in simply having just the vote kick option for the normal server punters. this is the only game where public players can ban people, and the other method has worked fine for many years and should remain as it is imo. not only that it will keep admins busy and active.
Hi Al

Quote :

guess this is what the name-thief wreckers depend on for their kicks, getting someone innocent blamed for their misdemeanours; thats why I ask people don't vote blindly or as a knee-jerk reaction, as does sometimes happen

Yes bad news those thiefs I probably have an evil twin on S2, always check the LFS name before voting and Only vote after I have no other options, this is after counting to 10 10 times.

I will only add to a vote when I know the person who started it and trust them, or I see the incident myself.

John
Watch MPR w/o exiting server
Quote from Hyperactive :One problem relates to this though. And that's the fact we can't check the replay without leaving the server. Many times I've witnessed that there is just "a racing situation", cars get ruined by a small error by the other or both drivers and the other driver sees that it was done purposefully. I have some apologies to make here too...shhh

Ah but there is another way. It's slow, chews up resources and annoying (especially for me cuz I have to up LFS's CPU priority..):

1. Press 2 to save the MPR
2. Shift+F4 to windowed mode
3. Start another LFS session w/o closing the existing one
4. Watch replay

Quote from NotAnIllusion :Ah but there is another way. It's slow, chews up resources and annoying (especially for me cuz I have to up LFS's CPU priority..):

1. Press 2 to save the MPR
2. Shift+F4 to windowed mode
3. Start another LFS session w/o closing the existing one
4. Watch replay

Yes, that's what I was going to recommend. It's what I do during long event races, I have LFs running on my machine, and my work machine next to me. Save replay, run a .bat file to copy it to my other pc, then it plays and I can watch it and penalize. Very effective.
gonna be poor with this argument, im gonna have to sit on the fence with this one, because there are times when banning is certainly needed, yet at the same time its taken advantage of, and there is nothing you can do of that, its all personal reasoning

the way i see it, about 70% of the bans i see when online are due to emotions, as humans react, we all want vengeance and as we all know "fighting isnt the answer", reasoning is, but emotional hormones take over the body extremely fast, and reasoning is just thrown to the rear of your head and not to think about until minutes or even hours later. So here are some things to just think about when you hit that ban button; do majority of the racers on that server believe he should be banned from the server due to misdemeanors, has he been warned repeatedly (keep in mind this is one of the most important, sometimes people block what people are saying and never get to see it, and then see that people are voting to ban him without him knowing what he did wrong), and finally, dont talk crap.. not only will you sound immature, it will heat the moment and just make matters worse (once again, here we are with emotion taking over your body)

if you can check atleast those 3 reasons, then go ahead, if not get his attention and warn him again; if your an American, you can see what happens to NASCAR drivers when they get in a fight.. they get fined, if not banned from the next race, and that's all due to emotion, "getting back" just wont help, but worsen the situation in a whole.

so theres just a few tips i hope everyone takes into consideration for not only ban, but kicking someone too

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG