The online racing simulator
Ferarri 355 Challenge
(38 posts, started )
Ferarri 355 Challenge
Has anyone played this arcade game? It's the most amazing racing game hands down ever made. It's like 10 years old or more but damn the physics are so on and it feels like nothing else that I have ever played. I say this cause I spent the last 6 weeks mastering it and damn if you played it you know how hard it is. If you haven't played it it's a one player game where you race a Ferrari 355 on like 7 differnet tracks. There is novice mode for the girly men and intermetite where you use the paddle shifters, or the simulator mode which is run with the clutch and a 6 speed gear box.
So my question was has anyone played this and what did they think of it?

Dont get me wrong I sucked at the game until I started playing LFS a bunch and LFS thought me what I needed to know about racing to apply to that game (also helped me get 3 tickets in 3 months my fault., so I'm not baggin on LFS It's just you know how you want the tires to respoond to the road and stick a certain way, kinda like LFS but it really grips in real time......man it's a rush thats all I can say..

One last thing if you want to check it out I do believe it's at every gameworks arcade, so thats one place to check if you live around one. All I'm saying is if you live for speed you got to check this one out Thanks for bearing with me and reading this, take care yallz
#2 - JJ72
we had couple of those here, the one with three monitors and the manual box.
the physics though is great in arcade terms but no where near any recent sims, the grip and speed of the car are pretty accurate however the more subtle simulation on tire physics and suspension movement is pretty primitive, the tires have way too much grip when sliding, there's a cheat to this game, that is so keep swinging the car left and right and you actually go quicker.
yeah i've played it a good few times. don think it's 10 years old though... i thought it came out in 1999 or 2000.
i remember once on a ferry between dublin and hollyhead and for 3 hours we played 4 player Ferrari Challenge! It was about 6 in the morning and all you had to do was kick the machine and you got 3 free credits! was excellent!
never knew about the cheat though!.... would explain some people's speed!!
I've played it, bloody brilliant, really noisy though! Everyone turns and looks even in an arcade when you boot it. There's one in gatwick airport, love it
And it trasnfered really well to the Sega Dreamcast - which you can now pick up for £15 with a copy of this game!!!!

It's an awesome game, and I still play it every now and then on the dreamcast, great fun!
actually i own it for my PS2, i think i'll play it today because i forget what it's like.
hah
Yeah it's nice to know people have apprechiated it besides me. I guess I can say I never raced a real ferarri before, but I would have to say from my own experience that nothing even in computer games comes to the feeling you get with that game...Just imagine crazy me playing that game all night for like 7 weeks till I mastered it. I guess to really know what it's about you have to play it as much as you do LFS or something like that But hey I say this, anyone that gets best times remember them and post them on here I just had this obsesion with beating all the times on there and was curious how other people did too
But another thing is after playing LFS so long as I said it was so much easier to understand the fundamentals of racing, then I would say after playing the ferarri one as much as I did I really got a better feel of LFS too. Both great games, It's almost 9am over here and I still have yet to get sleep, but these darn LFS races are just too much fun Thank you for this game!
#8 - TiJay
Remember this when it was in the local bowling alley. It was the two-player two-screen version, can't remember the shifters but it was bloody good fun! The speakers mounted in the chair was a good idea too (which Outrun 2 didn't continue so that had crappy screen-mounted ones )
Quote from TiJay :Remember this when it was in the local bowling alley. It was the two-player two-screen version, can't remember the shifters but it was bloody good fun! The speakers mounted in the chair was a good idea too (which Outrun 2 didn't continue so that had crappy screen-mounted ones )

I'm sure I'm going to seem like I wanna have sex with this game the amount I talk about it but......Yeah I do know of that version you are talking about, becuase the ones with 3 screens are not multi which sucks, then again 99% of people that play it can finish a lap without mowing the entire grass area or something....I wish I tried that 2 player too I'm sure it would have been a blast. That game just gets even better the more you understand it. We should all get best times out of our local one and compare Okay now I have to go back and play LFS for the 10 hour today....Hi I'm Nick and I'm a LFS addict
that arcade game was out in 2000 its brill
#11 - tpa
I played it at Gameworks in Seattle 2 years ago and set a new record at Suzuka with clutch and shifter
i use to love monza in it !! those days were good
Yup, that game is incredibly difficult, but a lot of fun though. Also, its not just single player. the machines can be networked together for some multiplayer fun.

and at one point in time, i was quiet good at it from practicing on the DC (which was a very good port of the arcade game).

Last time i played it (a few months back), 2 of the 3 machines there had faulty brake pedals that would only give about 60% braking force. even then, i was still able to turn some good laps, although it was a bit of a surprise going into T1.

best part was, there were some annoying people hogging the machine all night (keeping me and a friend from hogging the machine all night ), and when a machine finally opened up, we would take turns whipping the other two guys around the track.
#14 - JJ72
I remember very vividly about late braking on monza and hitting those immovable tire stacks. Did you guys played the version which you can do time trial on Fiorano??
F355 Challenge is definitely the most realistic arcade racing game I've played. Physics are really good and that H-shifter . I've got it for my DC and have had some really cool races with my bro at Fiorano . One of the main reasons why I want to get my DC fixed is so that I can play it again, I just love it!!! .
Hard to forget this game. They have one at Sega City close by, I think I need to try it out again.
your in los angeles? where do you play?
they put that game on sega dreamcast, so I can play it all day long at home in front of my tv...game was WAY ahead of its time in terms of realism of physics, and sound/graphics...!
Quote from michaelnyden :they put that game on sega dreamcast, so I can play it all day long at home in front of my tv...game was WAY ahead of its time in terms of realism of physics, and sound/graphics...!

your in LA too? ever play at the arcades?
speaking of los angeles
Yeah I'll be back in Los Angeles and I'm going to #$&#$% raid the machines over at the gameworks in ontario mills and long beach and get the high scores Dude you have to go it's in your LFS blood. Just don't do what I do and stand around giving people pointers on racing and braking points ect...they start to get mad I when you tell them to stay and watch you, oh well, not everyone plays that game for 6 hours straight

As far as the games I was on it wasn't networked so you couldn't play linked 2 players, but nobody was anywhere near me so it didn't matter. Went there tonight and beat the last 3 best times at simulator and simulator race against computer best 3 laps, then left cause i was bored with it after beating it all Now if I could only beat everyone at LFS
Quote from michaelnyden :they put that game on sega dreamcast, so I can play it all day long at home in front of my tv...game was WAY ahead of its time in terms of realism of physics, and sound/graphics...!

There is a version for ps2 too (with some more track), and obviously there are DC emulators...
I got seriously into F355 Challenge a few years back. Got 16th fastest time ever around Laguna Seca.

But all the nazodrifting annoyed me a bit. The only way you could set top times was by using this technique which took advantage of a bug in the physics model. Made the whole thing a bit silly really. Hacking the wheel from side to side on corner exit.
Nazo drifting?
What's that exactly?
Yeah, going back to 2000/2001, in Skegness UK at the Pleasure Island arcade, i used to have the top two pages of fastest laps around Sugo in Simulator mode on a 3 screen machine, used to love it (Initials were KEL if anyones sad enough to remember ) I even bought a Sega Dreamcast just for that game/sim.

Ferarri 355 Challenge
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG