The online racing simulator
Scrw you people...

Can Drift be considered a Motorsport? YES

Drift does NOT replaces grip (race) in any sense, and vice versa.

Drift is a Race Technique? Depends, theres two type of Drift, one of them is,other is not.

The main diferences between the Drift that happens on the Racing and the one that is practiced as Sport are:

On the Drift as Sport, the Drift must start as early as possible before the corner, it usualy begins allready on the straightway,wich on the 'Race Drift' it rarely happens and usualy only happens on situations of very low or allmost no grip or in Rally(or in very very tight corners and only useful whit understeery cars other than proper race setup). The angle, wich on the 'race Drift' is used only the necessary to compensate the loss of grip or excess of speed (helping to brake the car) on the momentum the be able to tackle the corner the more direct and fastest way possible, wich on the 'Sporty Drift' the angle tends to be the highest possible for as long as possible.

Personaly i consider the art of Drift not just a technique that helps a little the capacity of controling a car out of its traction limits, but overall as way of self-express since its part of my style of driving, i feel naturaly very confortable and on syntony whit my car while drifting, i dont do it for showoff or wathever, i do it because it feels good, love to corner whit full throtle and enter it very fast and use the angle to brake(casualy, i dont drift while racing duh)even thougt i always get seriously bashed by racers

But i think most of other people see it as just an senseless controled slide, wich only takes to loss of time in Racing and they dont see any reason or fun on practicing it as Sport.

What i mean is,It will depend a lot of the person's point of view. And if you dont like it, respect it.

And NO drifting is not the fastest way thru FE nor thru any track besides a tight cones layout (and that is not Real drift) or a swamp lol hahaha people these days are soo scrwd

The simple Coefficient of friction (static/dynamic) that any stupid should know about (i hope i translated correct to english) dynamic friction is smaller than the static friction, any question? Thats why grip is faster.

go Takumi ... go blame god for that
I'd say Racing is about going fast.
Drifting only gets you dead Flys on the Sidescreen.
Racing is about having competitions at "given" conditions. Id say with some skills you could have a race while drifting around the track. And about the quickness, the question is, where does the drift starts & ends, depends on that you could be even faster then the "grippers".
#54 - col
Quote from Slidaaaa :Scrw you people...
Can Drift be considered a Motorsport? YES

I agree
Quote :
Drift does NOT replaces grip (race) in any sense, and vice versa.

I agree
Quote :
Drift is a Race Technique? Depends, theres two type of Drift, one of them is,other is not.

I agree (assuming your distinction is between 4 wheel drift ( like in gpl ) and 'artistic drifting' style drift.
If you mean 'artistic drifting' and 'drift racing' then I LOL at you)
Quote :
The main diferences between the Drift that happens on the Racing and the one that is practiced as Sport are:

On the Drift as Sport, the Drift must start as early as possible before the corner, it usualy begins allready on the straightway,wich on the 'Race Drift' it rarely happens and usualy only happens on situations of very low or allmost no grip or in Rally(or in very very tight corners and only useful whit understeery cars other than proper race setup). The angle, wich on the 'race Drift' is used only the necessary to compensate the loss of grip or excess of speed (helping to brake the car) on the momentum the be able to tackle the corner the more direct and fastest way possible, wich on the 'Sporty Drift' the angle tends to be the highest possible for as long as possible.

In normal racing you drift when it is the quickest, or most efficient way through part of the track, or because you are doing an in fast out slow overtake/block manouver a la Senna in that AMAZING clip.
In drifting you drift because its the rules.
Quote :

Personaly i consider the art of Drift not just a technique that helps a little the capacity of controling a car out of its traction limits, but overall as way of self-express since its part of my style of driving, i feel naturaly very confortable and on syntony whit my car while drifting, i dont do it for showoff or wathever, i do it because it feels good, love to corner whit full throtle and enter it very fast and use the angle to brake(casualy, i dont drift while racing duh)

Good for you
Quote :
But i think most of other people see it as just an senseless controled slide, wich only takes to loss of time in Racing and they dont see any reason or fun on practicing it as Sport.

why do you think that, from what I've read, most folks - me included - think it's a difficult skill and when perfected can be entertaining to watch.
Quote :

What i mean is,It will depend a lot of the person's point of view. And if you dont like it, respect it.

You don't get respect by demanding it, you get respect be earning it.

Quote : I agree (assuming your distinction is between 4 wheel drift ( like in gpl ) and 'artistic drifting' style drift.
If you mean 'artistic drifting' and 'drift racing' then I LOL at you)

Uh u kidding, hell no...

Quote : In normal racing you drift when it is the quickest, or most efficient way through part of the track, or because you are doing an in fast out slow overtake/block manouver a la Senna in that AMAZING clip.
In drifting you drift because its the rules.

Thats all i said allready, oh and the block indeed.. man that was awsome,on last corner haha...

Quote :Good for you
You don't get respect by demanding it, you get respect be earning it.

ok nuff whit the grandma sentences lol
Dont miss understand me,its a situation of mutual respect, live and let live you know, im not asking for recognition, just to stop bashing...
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Slidaaaa : And if you dont like it, respect it.

that is what people mostly forget to do theese days
#57 - col
Quote from thisnameistaken :
I don't snowboard, I don't skate, I don't wakeboard, I don't base jump, I don't do parkour. I think of drifting as being like those activities - things boys do to win the admiration of other boys.

Yeah, boys trying to convince everyone they're not geeks and nerds by getting all geeky and nerdy about fringe 'sports'

btw, you forgot street luge - Byker Sherlock RULEZ
It's funny, nowadays when we see the word drift we immediately think of the "full opposite lock tyres smoking fishtailing down the straights for no apparent reason" brigade. But really all they are generally doing is power-sliding. The word drift has been, for want of a better word, stolen. If you drive any car, front, 4 or rear-wheel drive, to the absolute limit, then the car will move around and drift, you don't keep a positive steering angle all the time. THAT's real drifting in my opinion. D1, show-drifting and any driving which involves keeping the car sideways for longer than neccessary is power-sliding. Fun to watch though, in its own way.
Well I used to enjoy drifting, until I started racing that is. Racing is just more fun, and harder imo. Although drifting has helped me with my car control, I rarely crash in a race.
-
(Slidaaaa) DELETED by Slidaaaa
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't snowboard, I don't skate, I don't wakeboard, I don't base jump, I don't do parkour. I think of drifting as being like those activities - things boys do to win the admiration of other boys.

Do you actually take part in any sports though? There isn't any need to start insulting other groups of people just to try and make your point, no matter how intelligent you may think you sound.

I think you will find that snowboarding, for example, is so popular because it is so fun. Not because people just want to impress others, although a small group may do it for that reason.

A lot of people on this forum, and this includes the members who seem to have gained respect from their constant trolling, really need to grow up.
I'd rather watch golf.
this reminded me of the old "what's better, LFS or GTR" arguement that went on ages ago. the way i solved it was to get both games. i have done the same with this little quarrel. i drift (badly most of the time) and tbh when you do manage to take a corner at high speed and at a sweet angle it does feel fun. but so does going flat out towards the dredded "wall of champions" at FE Green Rev. i find that drifting is the marmite of motorsport. i also belive the it is similar to the extreme sports mentioned because they too are about expression (i know too gay). i also enjoy rallying (not that rally x shit, tiz just expensive banger racing) because the race is at its most basic......who is the fastest.

but nothing beats going 4 wide into T1 at aston club (well maybe 5 would be sweet :P)
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from DjeMz :In Australia driftin is growing so huge the local police have frantikly launched numours counter mesures to prevent/punish 'street drifters'.

CAUTION poster has entered Rant mode

I don't dislike drag racing, I don't dislike racing and I don't dislike drfiting. I can appreciate all of these forms of motor sport and many others, that are carried out in controlled organised events.

What I can not do, is sit by and not say anything when people seem to have such flipant attitudes as to think it is a good idea to take any of these sports and play them out on public roads whether that be racing or drifting.

I'm sure your not one to do this and confine your activities to track days, but it concerns me how little responsibility some people display on the roads these days. I personally think road traffic offenses should carry much harsher penalties than they currently do here in Aus and I think the type of cars young drivers can get hold of is quite frankly rediculous illepall

Professional sports people are where they are because of hard work, discipline and great will power. Professional sports people take large risks but they are calculated with the full facts in mind. People that race or drift on the streets are extremely unlikely to have any of these traites (but they have the ego of someone that does) and yet they are attempting the same feats as Pros in an uncontrolled areana where they are not only risking there own lives but those that are innocently going about their own business. To put it bluntly the carry on like comlete arrogant ****s and I have no time for that sort

/Rant mode

Sry just had to get it off my chest
I think most of the people who don't like it, don't like it because it's so close to this ricing, tuning scene. And this scene puts looks and style over performance, and for racers point of view it doesn't make sense, neither does the obsession of too big turbos or aftermarket addons. You can call that as performance but it doesn't improve closer racing...and that's what most of the racers want, a good fight for the win, bumber to bumber for several laps.
There's a really bad program on British telly where they HP test vehicles that are fitted with aftermarket goodies. All of the ones I have seen so far (I dont watch the program particularly) have sucessfully reduced their power output with their phat mods. That's why racers dont use them. They will however happily spend £80 on a tub of ultra-thin oil...
Quote from Becky Rose :There's a really bad program on British telly where they HP test vehicles that are fitted with aftermarket goodies. All of the ones I have seen so far (I dont watch the program particularly) have sucessfully reduced their power output with their phat mods. That's why racers dont use them. They will however happily spend £80 on a tub of ultra-thin oil...

....or ultra thick at high temps. e.g Millers 10W/60
Why can't we all just get along?
#68 - Jakg
"lol anyway drifting is hated because of people who cant do it compared to people that can and with style."

No, i can do it just fine (look here, here, here and here for proof!)

But tbh it's good for a laugh and can make some nice screenies - but racing (ie in my beloved FXO!) is so much more challenging, and, imho, more rewarding and more fun
A better example of Jak's drifting is on the last lap of the first STCC broadcast
I don't think pictures can prove anyone's skills in drifting

Anyway, I think if there was a scoring system (or anything else that would reduce the pointlessness of drifting) in LFS by default it would make it more popular.
Quote from K.David :I don't think pictures can prove anyone's skills in drifting

Anyway, I think if there was a scoring system (or anything else that would reduce the pointlessness of drifting) in LFS by default it would make it more popular.

duh...people need to understand drift properly first,looking on dictionary doesnt help,and its near impossible to make a program judge something soo extremely complex...
Quote :duh...people need to understand drift properly first,looking on dictionary doesnt help,and its near impossible to make a program judge something soo extremely complex...

It's not impossible to write an automated drift scoring system, but "It could never be done", is not the same as, "Im not interested in doing it". The amount of data that needs to be processed is actually quite minimal (car position, mommentum and heading stored over time).
#73 - Vain
Quote from LFSn00b :Most people think that making a car go sideways is drift.

I always see people say that. Would you please give a correct definition of drifting then?

I'm just asking out of honest curiosity.

Vain
#74 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :A better example of Jak's drifting is on the last lap of the first STCC broadcast

Erm, stfu!

Round 3 drifting is much better, but FWD just isn't for "DoRiFtO's"
Nothing said here will ever convince a non-drifter to gain a new respect for the sport, and vice-versa. I simply do not understand the depth of feeling, ofpolarisation within the community about this issue. it raises its head at regular intervals and sparks off fierce debate which always ends up in personal inslts being traded, then the thread is closed and binned. The 2 factions seem incapable of having a constructive debate on these issues because basically it is about personal taste. As such, i find the whole thing a boring waste of forum time, it's all been covered so many times before and seldom in a constructive manner. I can't get worked up about people's preferences about the way they play lfs as long as it doesn't encroach on other people's enjoyment of the game.
This thread is closed

Why people dont like drifting in LFS ??
(318 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG