The online racing simulator
Tire sound too low
(15 posts, started )
Tire sound too low
From my experience tires get very very loud when going into slip or most of all at wild starts. They are easily louder than the motor of a normal car. They throw everyone out of their beds. This is not the case in LFS.
Of course a totally crippled muffler makes the motor louder than the tires but is the XFG or the UF1000 supposed to be equipped with this?

But even if I am flamed and totally wrong and all....
for me the tires are not loud enough even when I set the motor to minimum and the tires to maximum. Since the user can influence that setting its efficiency should be expanded so that he can easily hear the noise of his tires before they start to squeal without getting deaf by the motor.
They should be hearable even under bad conditions like LAN parties and a not too good isolated headhone. (One reason for a LAN party is to be able to do some talking)
Well the transmission and the rear should also whine a lot more. Everyone who has ever heard a car doing a handbrake turn on tarmac surely agrees that the sound the tires make is very loud - don't know about racing tires though.

And the tires don't make any sound at all when you lock 'em in straight line

And I think that it is generally accepted fact that LFS sounds need improvement in many areas
Yes!
When I exit a corner and step on the throttle too quickly the car starts to spin before anything is heard from the tires. So it is actually worse!
Have you looking in the audio options?
If you read the post properly, he has tyre boost at maximum and engine sounds at minimum. It's a wonder he can hear anything but screeching.
yes, tyre sounds needs some improvements, Hyperactive is right when talking about no tyre sound on braking
I can hear my tyres perfectly all the time.

Someone did post a replay of the lock-up sound not working when one wheel is locked, but it never happens to me.
you never hear rear wheels lock up
#9 - Vain
Because of the occasional locking-wheels-give-no-sound-bug I found myself looking in the mirrors when braking, so I can see wether the wheels are locked up or not. That is not realistic! Hopefully I can trust my ears after the next release.

Vain
As to the "no sound if locking in straight line", this can be easily checked, tristancliffe. Just try to keep up some speed and press the brakes (keep pressing the gas pedal so the car won't stop). Then try to notice slipping by using the sound as your only source of information. You won't notice when they stop rotating. If I remember it correctly there is no skidding sound present at all.

And suddenly you will notice that you have quite black front tires in F9

EDIT. typo
Erm, yeah, it's not like I'm a granny! I have locked up my wheels, and using the sounds it is perfectly possible to know when the wheels, front or (rarely) rear are locked. Obviously handling and relative speeds give the game away too, but I am 100% confident I have lock up skid sounds on my PC.
#12 - Vain
There are skidding sounds and usually they work great. But there are certain circumstances where temporarily no skidding sounds are played. This appears often in conjunction with single blocking wheels. I'd have to study the replays to find out the exact reproduction-sheme without leaning myself out of the window.
But after some practice skidding wheels become evident by the behaviour of the car. Yet nevertheless the bug is still noticable and in my opinion it should be fixed as soon as possible.

Vain
It's bad when you can't hear skidding tires of the car in front of you. That easily causes an accident. It just happened to me.
Quote from SladiVadi :It's bad when you can't hear skidding tires of the car in front of you. That easily causes an accident. It just happened to me.

I'm not sure if you would in real life. Or even if you would, you'd propably earlier notice him locking up by the smoke, not tire squeel.
#15 - Gunn
Quote from frokki :I'm not sure if you would in real life. Or even if you would, you'd propably earlier notice him locking up by the smoke, not tire squeel.

Smoke and/or squeel do not neccessarily accompany a slide or spin IRL. Strange but true.

Tire sound too low
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG