The online racing simulator
Credits
(34 posts, started )
I also come from a sim background and hate having to unlock cars. :smash3d:

I would like to make the point, however, that it is easy to pass the driving tests by driving cautiously, and that the tests does not predict anything about someone's online racing behavior. Even if you can drive the figure-8 without spinning out in an FO8, you still have a long way to go before you can run a race under pressure and still maintain throttle and brake control when racing for position. If the tests (which I still object to) are meant to weed out the inexperienced, then the only sensible requirement would be finishing X number of online races with <Y% of damage.

Maybe if more people start out with the 'in order to finish first, first you must finish' mentality, the attitudes will change ever so slightly for the better. And maybe I won't get taken out by as many people under full brake lockup in T1, L1.
i think that you should have to regain credits.. for experienced players its little hassle to complete a licence compared to the trauma (yes, FULL on mental trauma) which can come from being taken out by some IDIOT every single race...

absolute noobs would be less likely to want to carry on playing the game, but in my opinion the money the devs would lose from noobs not being able to play would be out weighed by people coming from GTR and other sims.

example, a GTR player reads the PC Zone mag and thinks to himself, "**** like im going to buy that, with all the idiots" instead, the game wouldnt get bad reviews based on the idiots and more good players would come...
i think it's pretty obvious, that the unlocking by credits will be replaced by unlocking by completing driving school... why else would they make it?

i think that system is good... newbies will have to learn to control cars and pass clean in school so there won't be so much wreckers... and people who already have experience will have no problem with completing whole school in an hour or so.. most test can be done on "quick" rank at first try, and some of them are fun too! i especially liked the mrt5 autocross course...
I think the lessons are very good, there needs to be a way to maintain a certain quality of driving online. So IMO all the cars should be available for offline/LAN play, but to use a car online you have to have passed all the tests for that car. It doesn't take long and it's fun.
Besides just number of laps, perhaps the HLVC system can also be incorperated. I've seen plenty of cats online who can't finish a single lap in the FO8, yet run it for a half hour on public servers anyway. (I wouldn't mind seeing black flags attached to the HLVC system.)

On the other hand, it's about having fun. Go to your local skatepark. There you will see hundreds of skaters who attempt the most insanely hard tricks over and over and NEVER land a single one. Ever! That's how they spend thier afternoons, and they'll be back the next day to not skate again. Why? Because they're having fun.

Some people prefer to ride 3 minutes at a time and land as many tricks as possible, flowing and getting weightless. Some prefer to ride 8 seconds at a time and look like the guy on TV for 0.3 seconds before thier skateboard goes flying across the concrete.

Who's having more fun?
#31 - Gunn
Quote from Slartibartfast :Who's having more fun?

The guy on TV.
How many times are we going to discuss this. I've said it before. I do not want any kind of unlocking system. I didn't have to deal with it in S1 since I was never licensed for it, just demo. But now we have access to all the cars and have our favorites. If I have to unlock with credits when S2 is fully released, I'll be quite upset. Nowhere have I ever seen where the credits are stored or how to back them up. So therefore when I have to unzip a new version of S2, I start over again with my credits. We've been racing with GTR cars and Formula cars for how long now? And when S2 is fully released we all have to unlock the stupid things? And for the driving tests, I agree, this is what will probably be the new unlock system. I really don't want to have to waste my time doing stupid tests that doesn't prove a thing about how I'm going to behave online to reaquire my GTR car. How many new people do you think will be turned away from here because they have to race a field of unintelligent AI cars without a single incident to race something better than a little econo hatchback? I think any unlocking system is a bad idea. This is an online racing simulator, not a PS2 offline racing game.
#33 - thd
Quote from Fetzo :having to unlock the cars is just a waste of time.
winning races against the AI or taking some tests won't teach ppl how to race.
they will do everything they can to make it easier. there is always a trick.
And racers who don't need that are bored by that, because they just want to race online.

its nice the way it is.

That avatar is pretty damn cool
#34 - Woz
Quote from mrodgers :How many times are we going to discuss this. I've said it before. I do not want any kind of unlocking system. I didn't have to deal with it in S1 since I was never licensed for it, just demo. But now we have access to all the cars and have our favorites. If I have to unlock with credits when S2 is fully released, I'll be quite upset. Nowhere have I ever seen where the credits are stored or how to back them up. So therefore when I have to unzip a new version of S2, I start over again with my credits. We've been racing with GTR cars and Formula cars for how long now? And when S2 is fully released we all have to unlock the stupid things? And for the driving tests, I agree, this is what will probably be the new unlock system. I really don't want to have to waste my time doing stupid tests that doesn't prove a thing about how I'm going to behave online to reaquire my GTR car. How many new people do you think will be turned away from here because they have to race a field of unintelligent AI cars without a single incident to race something better than a little econo hatchback? I think any unlocking system is a bad idea. This is an online racing simulator, not a PS2 offline racing game.

If the cars you unlocked are stored with your online profile what is the problem with having to unlock a car, you will only have to do it once. Its not like you are forced to run through all the different car tests, just the ones for the cars you want to drive.

Anyone who is experienced will be fine and should be able to do the test without isssue for any car they want.

Noobs will be limited to cars they CAN control and so the whole online experience will be better.

If anything I feel the same should be applied to the demo as well as this might actually clean up the demo servers a little and make peoples first experience online less like bumper cars.

This gets my thumbs up as the credit system was always wrong in that you could get the credit needed to unlock any car without ever having been in that car.

Many in this thread have said its a sim so you should have access to all cars but even Simbin have changed their mind with GTL and have an unlocking system in their new sim

Credits
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG