The online racing simulator
Firefox 2.0 released
(51 posts, started )
#26 - Jakg
Quote from dev :Argh! Alt + S shortcut is killing me! It's used for "Post Reply" but now it drops the history menu....

yup, i mourned the loss of that too

PS - IE is great if like to get a virus!
#27 - axus
Lovely stuff so far. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote from Matrixi :Uhm. Firefox is alive only thanks to it's extensions (like rFactor is to it's modding). So wouldn't that make Opera = LFS and Firefox = rFactor?

Hm I was thinking from the community / support kinda direction
So, apparently none of the browsers is worth to be compared with LFS
I got it and yes its faster it seems it gets faster everytime a new update comes.
#30 - axus
Quote from faster111 :I got it and yes its faster it seems it gets faster everytime a new update comes.

And you seem to know how to use the spell checker! Weeee.
Quote from faster111 :I got it and yes its faster it seems it gets faster everytime a new update comes.

That is the first time I can actually read something you've typed.
Now I finally feel like all the donations to the Mozilla Foundation actually did amount to something crucial.
Quote from Matrixi :Uhm. Firefox is alive only thanks to it's extensions (like rFactor is to it's modding). So wouldn't that make Opera = LFS and Firefox = rFactor?

IE isn't even a browser.

That would be a good comparison... Opera has a good package overall and you can tell it has been thought through, whereas FireFox is only alive because of it's extensions, as you pointed out (right, I might add)...

IE is NfS then... Wants to do all things and fails at everything, yet it is the most famous/used of them all...

God, those metaphors get along nicely...
Quote from danowat :Why do you prefer IE?, just interested in the reasons....

Normally people just use what they are used to, because switching to something different is very alien to them, and they don't take the time the investigate the different item, instead see it as different, and in their eyes, rubbish

Dan,

It is mainly that reason, because I have always used IE, then when I tryed FF, it was very alien to me and I thought...No!! Back to go old IE.

To be honest, I don't really see what all the fuss is about when it comes to Firefox, then again I dont see the hype about IE (if any) but thats what I've always used and that is what I will stick to - If something isn't broken, then why fix it

I'm sure it's each to his own and that sort of thing and my own is IE, maybe if I tryed Firefox again, then I will like it...but the IE does the job just fine for me
Quote from The General Lee :It is mainly that reason, because I have always used IE, then when I tryed FF, it was very alien to me and I thought...No!! Back to go old IE.

To be honest, I don't really see what all the fuss is about when it comes to Firefox, then again I dont see the hype about IE (if any) but thats what I've always used and that is what I will stick to - If something isn't broken, then why fix it

I'm sure it's each to his own and that sort of thing and my own is IE, maybe if I tryed Firefox again, then I will like it...but the IE does the job just fine for me

I'm not trying to convert you but what things exactly were so different and made the FF feel so alien to you? I mean, I remember when I switched to Opera and of course it felt a bit weird at first but I got quite quickly used to it. I am a bit techy person so I get used all kinds of tech stuff pretty easily but switching web browser is piece of cake, imho of course. Even my parents, 50+, got used to Opera in few days. Maybe give it more time? Of course you can surf pretty safely with IE but you better make sure that you are cautious about the sites you visit, don't watch pr0n on IE and remember to run adware removers every now and then
It was quite a while ago that I tryed firefox and I was thinking about downloading version2. but I looked at a screenshot and decided against it...I cant put my finger on it (and now its really confuzzled me) but there is something I dont like about it.

IE7 has similarities with Firefox, eg. the layout...the add on thing of fox seems like a good idea. But I may be sticking with IE

Like, I said...each to his own and that kind of stuff.

Quote :
I am a bit techy person so I get used all kinds of tech stuff pretty easily

Same here I am always trying out new things, downloading (i mean buying ) new programs and learning new things, graphics, web design etc. But firefox doesnt give me that "WOW!" factor it seems to give everyone else. I would never say to someone, "firefox is cack, use IE" because if they prefer firefox, then that is up to them. I admit fox is better than IE, when it comes to support, features, usability, and loads of other things, but i just dont like it lol.
:bump:

Does anyone know how to get the little 'x' box for the tabs to be on the left (like in FF1.5), where it controls all the tabs. In 2.0 each tab has it's own 'x', but I prefer a master x on the left. Can I change this behaviour. It's the main reason I haven't upgraded to 2.0 at home yet.
No, but you can right click the tab you want to keep open and click Close All other Tabs, which gives the same behaviour.
Bah, I want my little lonely x back. I know I can middle click on each tab, but with the little x I could just leave the mouse hovering in one place, and click when I'd finished each tab.

A step backwards Maybe someone can make a clever plugin/extension to keep me happy
It's an extension you can download, advanced Tab browsing, has the extra X, will try and find the link for ya!
#40 - axus
Ctrl+W ftw!
#41 - Jakg
simple way - get a good mouse with an extra button (ie i use an MX1000 with a little rocker on the side) on the side, and then map that (using Logitech software if you get a logitech mouse) to Ctrl + W, makes Firefox a joy to use if your a tap addict like me!
Didn't know about ctrl-W, thanks. Would still like the x returned though, so looking forward to extension linky.

I never bother mapping buttons, but I might have to. The task switcher button on my Mx1000 is underused, so good idea there too.

Thanks all
TabX

Is this what you are on about?
Not quite. That puts 'x's on all the tabs, but I want a master x on the right like pre2.0 had. However, the need is less now that I have been informed about ctrl-w
I know what you mean now (Currently creating a DA skin with this integrated - if I can add it in, must be a skin issue, not an option if you know what I mean)
tristan:

write 'about:config' to the address location box, then find this line

browser.tabs.closeButtons

and change the value to 3.

This should be in the options by default... so many people prefer to use the box on the left.
Quote from tristancliffe :Not quite. That puts 'x's on all the tabs, but I want a master x on the right like pre2.0 had. However, the need is less now that I have been informed about ctrl-w

A middle-mouse-click on the tab closes it too.
#48 - Jakg
Damnit, I should read the thread beforehand
Quote from The General Lee :Same here I am always trying out new things, downloading (i mean buying ) new programs and learning new things, graphics, web design etc. But firefox doesnt give me that "WOW!" factor it seems to give everyone else. I would never say to someone, "firefox is cack, use IE" because if they prefer firefox, then that is up to them. I admit fox is better than IE, when it comes to support, features, usability, and loads of other things, but i just dont like it lol.

I used IE for a long time, even when I knew it was full of security holes. I ran Ad-aware or Spybot S&D almost every week and it found every time 20-30 tracking cookies or data miners or stuff like that. Then I switched to Opera. After that, I've ran Ad-aware or Spybot only a couple of times, and both have found only 1 or 2 things...

I'm sticking to my choice

Firefox 2.0 released
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG