The online racing simulator
Blue flag at pit exit
(30 posts, started )
Blue flag at pit exit
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't find this anywhere.

It would be very neat if a blue flag message could be shown when exiting the pits, when someone comes running down the straight - like in real racing. I normally look at the mini map to see if someone is approaching, but the minimap is not always visible (text messages).

No need to explain further I think Just a small but would-be-very-nice-improvement suggestion.

René
Pits are rellevent in two conditions: A league race - blue flag on exit would be a good thing; and Pickup racing - A yellow flag on exit would be more appropriate as technically a yellow flag means "Caution, no overtaking, be prepared to stop".
I agree with having the blue flag on exit. Also I notice that the blue flag does come on when you exit the pits, but it is as if it only shows up when you join the track, and you don't have an early warning when there is a lapping driver coming down the straight. If you were in the pits and a lapping driver was racing on the track, the blue flag should always come on. I don't see it come on until I actually leave the pitlane and drive on the actual track. This is kind of like the blue light that most tracks have blinking before you exit the pits to warn you, but with LFS, there is no early warning.... I wish we had that.

+1
Quote from Becky Rose :Pits are rellevent in two conditions: A league race - blue flag on exit would be a good thing; and Pickup racing - A yellow flag on exit would be more appropriate as technically a yellow flag means "Caution, no overtaking, be prepared to stop".

Actually, a single yellow flag (as displayed in LFS) means caution, do not overtake, track is partially blocked or there is a hazard beside the track, be prepared to change direction. it does *not* mean 'be prepared to stop'.

A double waved yellow means caution, do not overtake, track is partially *or* fully blocked, be prepared to change direction or stop.
Valid point, but LFS doesn't make the distinction between waved, static, or quantity of flags - so I always felt it should be taken as the most serious: Be prepared to stop.

Not that I ever am mind you! I'm not giving that much time away!
Quote from Becky Rose :Not that I ever am mind you! I'm not giving that much time away!

Precisely... I think there should be 2 additions... 1 is a blue flag at pit exit, and 2 is a double waved yellow for track blockage.
Quote from Tweaker :This is kind of like the blue light that most tracks have blinking before you exit the pits to warn you, but with LFS, there is no early warning.... I wish we had that.

Even better indeed... a flashing blue light at pit exit...
I would prefer proper pit lights, like IRL with closed pits when the session ends , blue light when someone's coming and green for free way. And marshalls waving the flags.

Some details that would make LFS more serious.

traxxion: Opps, we posted at the same time LOL
+10k for pit exit lights, of all needed colors
+1
#11 - Gunn
+1 for blue flag or blue light

+1 for double waved yellows

+100 for animated flags, flag icons, or flag marshalls! That way we LFS could visually represent the differences between held and waved flags both blue and yellow.
Quote from Gunn :+1 for blue flag or blue light

+100 for animated flags, flag icons, or flag marshalls! That way we LFS could visually represent the differences between held and waved flags both blue and yellow.

+1 to your +1s and +100 (on animated flag waving marshalls!)

Although I personally belive that the mid-screen flag message should remain as an option toggled on by default. I can just see the agony of a new player used to some other sim not realizing that they have to look at PEOPLE waving the flags, like real life, thus ignore them, and annoy everyone else on the field. I'd turn it off, but we must appreciate that not everyone entering LFS will be ready for that dose of reality, no?
+1 for blue flag or lights when coming out of the pit lane. I have never ever saw yellow flags when exiting the Pits.

So maybe one could keep a Marshall wavin green flag, or green ampel lights, in case no car is about to approach, and blue flag or lights in case car is approaching
Quote from Shinrar :+1 to your +1s and +100 (on animated flag waving marshalls!)

Especially agree with the animated flag waving marshalls
I think animated marshalls with flags would be very nice but would only add to the current CPU/FPS load on those of us with older PCs and lower spec machines , however a fast flashing "yellow flag" message could be used to imply double waved flags (more caution required) than a solid message implying a static held flag? any thoughts?

+1 for some warning about lapping traffic when exiting pits although its common sense to just lookback or at mini map really

SD.
Instead of the RCM message, all the HUD should be surrounded by bright yellow squares under yellow flags.

Single held yellows should be yellow. Single waved should be opaquer t and double waved flashing.

Blue flags should be blue squares, black flags black squares, meatball flag the same design etc. etc.

AFAIK some drivers are told about flags over their radios (they might of in the days of Bernievision). Surely that could be incorporated in to LFS Companion (which TBH I don't use) if InSim provided information about flags. However, I would rather LFS Companion (if Becky and the devs would agree) to be built in to LFS and configurable in LFS itself. *puts on flameproof suit*
Quote from traxxion :
It would be very neat if a blue flag message could be shown when exiting the pits, when someone comes running down the straight - like in real racing.

Isn't it a blue light flashing (under the red/green light of the pits)
when a car is coming...?

+1 though.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Isn't it a blue light flashing (under the red/green light of the pits) when a car is coming...?

Depends on what track and what racing series I think
#19 - Gunn
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Isn't it a blue light flashing (under the red/green light of the pits)
when a car is coming...?

+1 though.

Just to clarify, a held blue flag is used in racing regardless of what position cars are in. It means a faster car is approaching. It can be used even if the approaching car is on the same lap.

A waved blue flag is the one used when a car is about to be lapped (the blue flag screen message in LFS is equivalent to a waved blue flag).

The blue light/blue flag at the end of the pit straight is equivalent to a held blue flag and does not mean the driver exiting the pits needs to yield, it means he needs to be aware that a fast car is approaching.
Also it is used when a car starts the race from the pit lane, in this case the car can not exit the pit lane (and therefore begin his race) until the light goes out or the flag is put away. This occurs after the entire field has safely passed the pit exit point.

*rules may vary slightly between series but most series use the same meanings for blue flags.
Quote :and +100 (on animated flag waving marshalls!)

If we had people on or near the track there would be a whole new kind of wrecker in the game!
#21 - Gunn
Quote from Becky Rose :If we had people on or near the track there would be a whole new kind of wrecker in the game!

Not on my server.

Agreed on all!
+10^10

There's really nothing much to add than that.
Quote :however a fast flashing "yellow flag" message could be used to imply double waved flags (more caution required) than a solid message implying a static held flag? any thoughts?

I don't like the idea of a flashing message, too distracting.
#25 - Davo
Quote from Becky Rose :If we had people on or near the track there would be a whole new kind of wrecker in the game!

I'm not sure if it's on every track but on BL GP there are people near the track in orange suits, they could wave flags.

+1 because more flags and warnings = safer and happier racing.

Blue flag at pit exit
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG