The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :Can't reproduce that. I tried with FXO GTR at default sound levels and I could hear it clearly.

Sorry, it was my sound level in-game (about 2.0 IIRC at which stage the turbo sound seems to disappear) - I was running it lower than normal because my media player's (foobar) volume can't go all that high. Therefore I run a high level on the windows setting and I don't like adjusting too many settings every time I want to do a few laps/listen to music. I should have checked. I got around this with the seperate waveOut and master volume settings now though.

On a simmilar note, is it possible to include a setting for the system sounds volume?
EDIT: Clarifying - LFS system sounds - ie. the message sounds and the menu clicks and so on.
Quote from Scawen :I can't reproduce this. I do get the looping sound buffer but it comes back to life after reloading textures. Anyway, I have now at least stopped the ugly looping sound buffer in my version.

tried it again, and it took some time (about 20secs) to change while the sound loop... so prolly fault on my side as I expected the change more or less instantly :schwitzand didn't wait long enough)

you can ignore this
Quote from Scawen :Can't reproduce that. I tried with FXO GTR at default sound levels and I could hear it clearly.

I seem to hear no BOV while using yamakawa's CSR with U28 (additionally some sounds aren't played in CSR, only happens since I upgraded from U20 to U28). Maybe the new sound system is overusing my sound-ressources...
Will try it later w/o CSR started, keep an eye on this post, I might just edit it

edit, as promised: just tried it, sound works fine without CSR; and I just found axus 2nd post
anyway, I don't exactly know which kind of audio-output CSR uses, but it seems to interfere with LFS' pre-recorded sounds - that's not a bug, but maybe this information can be helpful when it comes to problems with other programs running in the background, which use sounds too
Quote from ksa_land :Hi,

I noticed that there is no music playing in mp-replays with the options: in setup screens: on; while racing: off ; during replays: on;
But in single player-replays the music works.

When I turn the "while racing" - option to "on" I can hear the music.

Now I use U28, but I noticed this in other versions too.
I use the "Crative Sound Blaster Audigy LS".

Maybe some of the other guys could test it too.

Did someone tried that?

short: when music "during replays" is on and "while racing" off, there is no music in multiplayer-replays. Only with option "while racing" on.

Hope this is no "non-test patch-related bug". If yes: sorry.
Quote from Scawen :I removed it. The option was confusing "Screen clear type" with "ellipsoid" and "clr+sky" and "plain" as options, so I simply removed it. I don't think drawing the sky affected frame rate much on any card that can actually runs LFS reasonably.

Well, it did. I play with close to hardcore minimum settings and it is easy to feel any difference in fps. So please, bring the "clear sky" option back.
Quote from Scawen :Please can you give a more detailed description?

It's programmed to move to the left, once, when results begin to appear in the results table. Because there's no point drawing it under a load of rectangles and text. So if that is what you have seen, that is not a bug.

If it is jumping back and forth randomly, then that would be a bug.

Ok, then it's not a bug. I found it a little disconcerting, but I like the map on the left anyway I decided If you wanted to avoid the jumping back and forth with it (first lap of qual it is on the right, then moves to the left) it would make sense to me to have it start on the left always in qual. But quite minor I guess
Quote from Blowtus :Ok, then it's not a bug. I found it a little disconcerting, but I like the map on the left anyway I decided If you wanted to avoid the jumping back and forth with it (first lap of qual it is on the right, then moves to the left) it would make sense to me to have it start on the left always in qual. But quite minor I guess

There is an option to lock the map on the left side.
I know
Quote from ksa_land :Did someone tried that?

short: when music "during replays" is on and "while racing" off, there is no music in multiplayer-replays. Only with option "while racing" on.

Hope this is no "non-test patch-related bug". If yes: sorry.

Thanks for the report but please don't post the same info twice. That just gives me a longer thread to read and more posts to delete when I am cleaning up the thread.

I don't reply to each post unless I have a question about it. The "answer" to your post may appear in the list of changes in one of the test patches. If it doesn't and I delete your post then of course you are welcome to remind me about it.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :I got a problem with U28 (and U27), does not happen with U25:

I
1) start a new MP host, LAN or Internet (happens with both) and proceed to the spectate mode selection screen
2) type /insim 29999
3) shift-f4 to windowed mode
4) run insim app which sends only ISI and then closes without doing anything else
5) right-click on the LFS icon in the taskbar and click close
6) LFS hangs, if I right-click and close again it crashes
7) the subsequent crash report has no offsets or addresses, just says it's a 'hungapp'.

I haven't been able to reproduce this.

Maybe it's because I don't know what you mean by the "spectate mode selection screen". I've tried in the in-game ESCAPE menu and the in-game Host Options screen and the close button seems to work fine from there.

I think the bug you found is something to do with the new clean exit and it's probably a really easy fix (one line), if only I knew which screen you weren't able to exit from.
Quote from Scawen :I haven't been able to reproduce this.

Maybe it's because I don't know what you mean by the "spectate mode selection screen". I've tried in the in-game ESCAPE menu and the in-game Host Options screen and the close button seems to work fine from there.

I think the bug you found is something to do with the new clean exit and it's probably a really easy fix (one line), if only I knew which screen you weren't able to exit from.

This one, sorry it's difficult to explain
Attached images
cleanexit.JPG
The screen you get as a spectator when there's no race started.
I sometimes like to have the splits and lap times flash up, and often I like to drive with everything totally off. Unfortunately now I can't switch between one and the other with shift-F anymore, the splits still flash up, and I have to turn them off in the options. Could we have a thrid option for checkpoint text, of "Splits-when hud is active"?
Ah, the race setup screen.

Anyway, I'm not succeding in reproducing it there either.

What are you sending in the ISI packet? Could you try with some different settings and see if it crashes / hangs in all cases? And are you sure you need InSim running to get the bug, or does it happen without?
Quote from sinbad :I sometimes like to have the splits and lap times flash up, and often I like to drive with everything totally off. Unfortunately now I can't switch between one and the other with shift-F anymore, the splits still flash up, and I have to turn them off in the options. Could we have a thrid option for checkpoint text, of "Splits-when hud is active"?

You can turn off the new feature, in MISC options, so it behaves exactly as it did before.
Quote from Scawen :You can turn off the new feature, in MISC options, so it behaves exactly as it did before.

Ah my bad, I should have remembered the LFS rule, of making sure to check every option menu, even if the option is not where you would first expect it to be
Quote from Scawen :Ah, the race setup screen.

Anyway, I'm not succeding in reproducing it there either.

What are you sending in the ISI packet? Could you try with some different settings and see if it crashes / hangs in all cases? And are you sure you need InSim running to get the bug, or does it happen without?

It happens only after I've sent an ISI packet. Merely enabling InSim by typing /insim xxxxx and then proceeding to close LFS without sending ISI doesn't cause it to happen.

I'll try different flags, incorrect password, port, other InSim packets and see if it still happens.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :It happens only after I've sent an ISI packet. Merely enabling InSim by typing /insim xxxxx and then proceeding to close LFS without sending ISI doesn't cause it to happen.

I'll try different flags, incorrect password, port, other InSim packets and see if it still happens.

OK, thanks. I confirm that I was sending an ISI packet and LFS was registering that with a grey message, then I was closing LFS using right click on the LFS task bar.

I think it may be the result of whatever was in your ISI packet. Thanks for the testing as I'm quite busy on some other U29 things.
I don't know if this here is a bug report or an improvement suggestion. I think it's not like it should be and easy to fix, so I post it here (I hope it hasn't been suggested anywhere else. If so, I apologise):

In qualifying, when drivers change their ingame names, they will appear multiple times in the qualifying list.

Does this make sense at all?
Quote from HorsePower :I don't know if this here is a bug report or an improvement suggestion. I think it's not like it should be and easy to fix, so I post it here (I hope it hasn't been suggested anywhere else. If so, I apologise):

In qualifying, when drivers change their ingame names, they will appear multiple times in the qualifying list.

Does this make sense at all?

Well... it's nothing to do with the test patch.

The reason why : this is a series of compatible patches. If I changed it then qualifying would be different on different computers connected to the host and they would go out of sync. So that means it would not be a compatible patch.

This must be one for the bug reports forum or improvement suggestions. It is definitely not a new thing in the test patch. I'll move the post into the cleanup thread when I am next cleaning up.
Ah, I see. Many thanks for the answer!
nice improvements overall.
regarding the map placement,and maybe times too. could you allow to align it on the other monitors too?This could be useful for triplehead users
another thing i think is that the arrows on the map are not enough pointing in one direction, too much triangley.

while here i add 2 other little things i think could be useful (feel free to avoid that, because i'm in wrong section )

g-force simulation:
as now, i think that the forces are simulated via a "spring" simulating head movements, but it feels really like a doll with the head attached with a spring, and a mounted camera. no resistance at all. why dont you try adding some dampening to the view movements too?maybe with a slider setting.. this could simulate some sort of muscle resistance

and another thing, when a player pits, put a little key near his name, so you'll know who has pitted.

thats all, have a nice day
I have small problem. When i start LFS, then switch to windows and then back to LFS, this message appears (only in main screen): DI : FFDevice - DIERR_HANDLEEXISTS
I have patch U28 and Win XP SP2.
This has been reported multiple times already...
1) Alt+Tab is evil. Use Shift+F4 instead
2) That "error" occured all the time. Scawen just un-hided the error message, so it appears to be "new" (iirc)

E: Wait, Scawen, isn't it possible to simply intercept the Alt+Tab keystroke (like you did with Alt+F4), and if LFS is in fullscreen mode, act like it was Shift+F4 instead? So in windowed mode you get proper Alt+Tab handling, while in fullscreen you go windowed and then apply the normal Alt+Tab procedure.
Quote from AndroidXP :
E: Wait, Scawen, isn't it possible to simply intercept the Alt+Tab keystroke (like you did with Alt+F4), and if LFS is in fullscreen mode, act like it was Shift+F4 instead? So in windowed mode you get proper Alt+Tab handling, while in fullscreen you go windowed and then apply the normal Alt+Tab procedure.

nonsense... what if lfs screws up in fullscreen mode, then alt-tab wouldnt work if its set as Shift+F4... you cant program lfs totally idot-ideal only becouse some kids cant handle a pc and windows.
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG