The online racing simulator
Help me get into racing!
(31 posts, started )
Help me get into racing!
Hey ppl! I wanted to ask here if any1 would be willing to help me out (not financially ) to get into racing?. I've been trying to see many options of how to do it but I'd also like to see if I can get some help from some current professional karting drivers or have raced professionally. I'm currently 16, and I know it may seem that I'm a bit old have a go at pro karting but I'd honestly be willing. I'd really appreciate the help
Just find an appropriate car and enter some sort of series? ...lol
#3 - aoun
Man, get a kart and start racing man. You say you dont need any help financially, well awesome!!! Im 16 too man and if i had the money to race, i would be out getting a kart already. Dont worry about age, yes the champions of F1 and champcar started younger, but not everyone in the world will be a champ, and if you just wanna reach somewhere decently high in racing, age 16 at karting is still young. Scott Speed i believe started at 15... or close to it and hes in F1.. or was :S. Be lucky you got the money, take advantage... Dont worry about people getting you into leauges or anything.. people will help you with settings etc on the way!

For help, thats basiclly it, if you are truely willing, age doesnt matter or anything shouldnt matter.. make it happen .
Look At Sebastian Loeb (I know its not Karting) But the first time he drove a Rally Car he was 22 and now he is 32 and a triple world chamipon! (Geez i started rallying younger ) i i dont think its Ever to late!

Here in Australia, one of the top V8 Supercar Drivers, Steven Richards didnt start in speed way till he was like 23, and now he is in the premier class in the country..

as for us, we just went and bourght a car, joined a club and Entered In the State Championship... ofcourse you need the commitment and having the $$$ to fund it helps too.. but im sure the cost of starting karting would not be that hefty..
#5 - aoun
I was going to say something about v8s but i didnt know how old they were but ive seen 30 year old champs .

As for Loeb.. im in extreme shock that some old hag like that drives crazy!!!!! Formula whaaaa??? .

QIKVR4 basically said it too, as will every other racer here!!
Just so you are clear, "Pro Kart" is a class of kart, twin-enginned honda GX-160, used in endurance racing. It has a reputation as being a cheap formula. It's reputation is total bo*%£!, it's one of the most expensive club formula's going.

That aside to race at national level all you need is money. Talent is only an issue if you want to win. Being Irish i'm not sure if it is still the MSA that covers motorsport for you, if so you will need to pass an ARCS test, which is the racing equivellent of an IQ test. You can do that at any MSA registered go kart track.
#7 - Vain
Step one: Make sure you choose the right class.
If you're like 170 cm in height and weight 60kg, go karting. If you plan on growing, check out proper cars. (Alright, I don't like karts, so what? Everyone is entitled to have prejudice! )
Step two: Check your wallet for the class you desire to drive in.
Very often you can turn cheap road cars into well working race/rally cars. Look around at a racing weekend of your local racetrack and see what classes drive there to get an idea of where you can find friendly competitors. Speak with the drivers and series' officials (notice you need access to the driver's paddock for this).
Step three: Get the driver's license.
Make sure you get the license from the FIA legalized organization for your country. In germany this is an issue, not so much in other countries.
Step four: Buy/prepare the vehicle and race.
:eclipseeh

Vain
Quote from Becky Rose :Being Irish i'm not sure if it is still the MSA that covers motorsport for you

It never was :dunce:

www.motorsportireland.com is the Governing body for Irish motorsport.
Leprekaun afaik is Irish but lives in Eygpt so he'd have to find the info for there. Probably start with www.google.com
Thanks for the help lads , much appreciate it. Btw, what I meant about being "helped out" not financially is that I dont want people to get the wrong image that I'm lookin to get money off you guys, thats what I meant . I do have trouble financially, the cheapest kart I can get in Egypt costs 3k Euros .
#10 - JJ72
how much is a camel?
hahaha
Quote from Becky Rose :It's reputation is total bo*%£!, it's one of the most expensive club formula's going.

????

i spent over £700 in 1 weekend a week ago, and i wasnt in pro kart.
pro kart is one of the CHEAPEST formulas
Have you checked to see what series are available and what is being run in your area or how far you'd have to go?

You need to find out if there is anywhere you can actually race first?!
You guys do realise that he lives in Cairo and therefore might want to race there?
Dunebuggies that is then
i race karts look at me picture
Well, there are a few tracks about here in Egypt. One is called Noos, Golden Beach and Ghibli Raceway. The big professional venue is Ghibli. Heres their site with some info: http://www.ghibliraceway.com/

So, as you can see, it isnt that cheap
It's unlikely to be helpful to you in Cario, but the 2CV Championship has to be about the only series that genuinely offers 24 hour racing whilst making stock hatches look expensive

http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/
It all depends on the cash you are willing to spend. Get yourself a decent kart with some leathers etc , take it to a track and practice until you think youre ready to race competitively. I don't know how hard it is to just turn up and race at tracks in Egypt. Here in England it's pretty easy.
Quote from jaws99 :It all depends on the cash you are willing to spend. Get yourself a decent kart with some leathers etc , take it to a track and practice until you think youre ready to race competitively. I don't know how hard it is to just turn up and race at tracks in Egypt. Here in England it's pretty easy.

? If you turn up wearing a set of leathers to a MSA karting event in the UK they will promptly fail you at scrutenerring and send you home. Here it isn't quite as simple as jumping in a kart and going for a race, you need to pass an ARCS test and tbh I can't see it being hugely different over there.

Quote from Becky Rose :It has a reputation as being a cheap formula. It's reputation is total bo*%£!, it's one of the most expensive club formula's going.

I can't understand how you can claim that two 4 stroke engines which rev nothing like two strokes as being more expensive or even near as expensive.

I raced a Honda in my year of cadets and it was my cheapest year ever by a long shot. We didn't have to worry about engine mileage or anything, the thing was already a good few years old before I had my hands on it. There were a few people in my class with brand spanking new Hondas for that year and they had no obvious advantage.

I've yet to see a Honda engine on a cadet or a pro-kart to go bang in anyway, but seen plenty 2 strokes go pop. Just two Sundays ago I saw the big end go on a Snr Max, although the owner claimed it had done over 100hours :| Personally I'd never dare go over 15.

@Leprekaun
Go visit your local clubs, find the class for your age group and pocket. Make sure the class has a good turn out every race meeting and purchase a kart to suit. Bear in my mind that there will always be running costs, such as engine rebuilds etc.

I'm sure you'll find some helpful people to give you advice on what class to enter and on what to look out for when buying a kart (if its second hand). The main thing I'd recommend is finding out how many hours the engine has had on it, there's no point paying too much for something that may be at the time it needs a rebuild.
Quote :i spent over £700 in 1 weekend a week ago, and i wasnt in pro kart.
pro kart is one of the CHEAPEST formulas

I've paid £2,500 just for a race entry before... The engines are reasonably cheap to replace, but engine tuning isn't much less and there's two of them. You dont need to service them that often, but you run them longer when you race. You get more track time, but you'll service them as often. At the entry level pro kart is a little more expensive than an entry level two stroke, but you will get more track time.
my mate spent £55,000 in junior TKM in 1 year!!!!
I know this guy who's uncle's ex-room mate said that he spent....
i want a kart
i wanna race but... mexico isnt a good place to race, there are no tracks, no champs nothing.. and the pretty bad thing i have no moooney maybe when i grow up. Im thinking on stealing my father's car and go drag to win money hahaha... good idea...

Help me get into racing!
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG