The online racing simulator
Quote from P1lot :Some people say 'You play games!?' thinking gaming is for 12 year olds only. But the stats for LFS show the average age is 26 or something. Nothing I say would change their opinion so I forget about it.

Others are extremely interested that I enjoy a very realistic motor-racing simulator with people across Europe and beyond. They can't comprehend I'm racing bumper to bumper next to someone from Portugal/Finland etc.

That is the kind of junk I get from people. Well all my friends are kind of in a phase where they are growing up and no longer addicted to gaming anymore. The kind of phase where you feel you need to work and start to support yourself. They bought Apples, so maybe that is the reason why they aren't doing much gaming, but playing games does sort of make you feel 'young'. I wouldn't say 'geeky', because that is like being a Star Trek freak and knowing what color outfit each person wears in those series. Sadly, that is the same sort of example with me and LFS. I know quite a bit about LFS, and I hate to be so addicted with this in my life, but hey.... it gives me something to do, and I think I benefit from having a bit of entertainment and involvement at my growing age.

I do however only play LFS now really (not as much as I used to (S1)). When I was young, I played tons of games endlessly, and it was really bad. That is the sort of 'geeky' feel to me. But the best alternative is just to get out, stretch, and go do things in the outer world. It really pays off, since being drawn in by the computer everyday just means that you kind of lack the social abilities with actual people - in person.
I started simracing in early '03 with GPL, which led me here and to netKar. Can't stop! I approach it like a hobby rather than just playing games, and in the case of GPL it's spilled over into my real life to the extent where I'm blowing wads of cash on ebay, buying up old race mags and die-cast F1 models from the 60s.

Mrs Hank thinks I'm a giant knerd However, she doesn't complain when I'm in a happy mood following a good scrap or a win She doesn't dig the compulsive ebaying as much though My oldest brother wishes he had my setup actually, he loves to play when he visits - but his wife is bloody grateful that he doesn't have a racing rig though as he tends to spend way too much time and cash on collecting Volkswagens as it is

My band knows I can't jam on Thursday nights because of league commitments. Yeah, they rip shit on me but they're not the most petrol-headed guys so I don't expect them to dig it. They can barely tell a Lotus from a Ferrari anyway
I think it is geeky Dan. Whilst I tend to openly admit to it with my male friends, and often with female friends that I am not at all attracted to, it's not something I feel comfortable about admitting to when trying to woo a girl. I just get the feeling that to say it would scare her.

I don't mind geeky, and a lot of my friends don't, but why tell a girl you like something that may reduce her opinion of you until you've got her?
Quote from tristancliffe :I think it is geeky Dan. Whilst I tend to openly admit to it with my male friends, and often with female friends that I am not at all attracted to, it's not something I feel comfortable about admitting to when trying to woo a girl. I just get the feeling that to say it would scare her.

I don't mind geeky, and a lot of my friends don't, but why tell a girl you like something that may reduce her opinion of you until you've got her?

Well, we have been "going out" for 5 months, and I was still uncomfortable about telling her, but as we are looking at getting a place soon, she would have found out sooner or later anyway

I certainly would'nt tell a girl I was "wooing" (you cad, does anyone this side of 1940 still use that word? )

Dan,
Quote from tristancliffe :but why tell a girl you like something that may reduce her opinion of you until you've got her?

Especially when you can stuff 7 jaffa cakes in your mouth and openly proclaim to her "I ca' poo' wa' mo'! 'ook!"
Just wanted to add that I don't have many must-watch TV programs, I get bored with TV very quickly. I prefer my entertainment interactive!
I hope eventually outsiders will realise it's just as valid a form of entertainment as TV
#32 - CSU1
Quote from P1lot :Just wanted to add that I don't have many must-watch TV programs, I get bored with TV very quickly. I prefer my entertainment interactive!
I hope eventually outsiders will realise it's just as valid a form of entertainment as TV

T.V sucks, I have ntl and more often than not the choices are:
M*A*S*H, Murder he/she wrote, the usual bollockolagy Cornation st. etc.,
various re-runs from BBC,sky the latter being the worst, Startreck:doh:
The only proggy i would watch is the Descovery ch.
The problem with playing computer games is that people assume you're a geek that plays a game 24/7. Much like the members of the CounterStrike community and such! Just let them know that isnt the case and that you do actually have a life outside! A quick dirty comment about sex will probably bring you back into the 'cool/normal/socially accepted' zone!
#34 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :...but why tell a girl you like something that may reduce her opinion of you until you've got her?

So Tristan, on a date do you not tell her about your Jaffa Cake fetish, or do you not say anything at all as it will "reduce her opinion of you"
#35 - Vain
I don't approach LFS as a game but as a replacement drug for motorsports.
I just don't have the financial capability to service a race car and pay all entry fees (though I have a perspective of a racing-cockpit for few races next year, woo!). Thus I replace that with LFS.
Using the "I love racing, but don't mind at all if you don't"-approach LFS is just looked at as a hobby under the roof of motorsports. No matter who I explain that to.
And I guess your better half will also tend to agree with such an argumentation. You like racing. You could either spend 2 hours watching TV, race online or spend a whole day at a track day. It's just the drug you need. She doesn't have to enjoy it herself. You don't force your girlfriend to watch WTCC either.

Vain
Quote from Vain :I don't approach LFS as a game but as a replacement drug for motorsports.
I just don't have the financial capability to service a race car and pay all entry fees (though I have a perspective of a racing-cockpit for few races next year, woo!). Thus I replace that with LFS.
Using the "I love racing, but don't mind at all if you don't"-approach LFS is just looked at as a hobby under the roof of motorsports. No matter who I explain that to.
And I guess your better half will also tend to agree with such an argumentation. You like racing. You could either spend 2 hours watching TV, race online or spend a whole day at a track day. It's just the drug you need. She doesn't have to enjoy it herself. You don't force your girlfriend to watch WTCC either.

Vain

Same here. I spent £10k last year on a track car and various motorsports equipment. Now I'm trying to reduce my debts so any more track car development is out of the question. I can't even afford to do trackdays at the mo.

So for me LFS is the replacement. And I've learned a lot through playing this game. Now that I've got a clutch pedal it's even better practice for real life.
In my general experience I have noted that, if people judge they are ofthen afraid of being judged... that said, if somebody "likes" you or "loves" you he/she should except all that makes you you.. your good and "bad" sides, your cool and uncool hobbys whatever those maybe

So if people judge your shoes (example) they have prolly been bullied about theirs, are feel inconfident in someway about their shoes/feet/clothing .... this is just an example it happend in many forms and ways, just self reflect what thing you way more important on appearance of others, maybe it tells you something about yourself illepall

I think it is important not to judge to quickly, things happen for a reason even if it is something to get through weekend. So you can enjoy a full week of work/school again

Enjoy life and let other enjoy it too! Maybe you can even help others enjoy life more then they are doing now!

greetz and have a nice day now

Tobias
Well, she knows I am "into" motorsport, we both spent the day at Snetterton in August watching BTCC, and last week at a trackday with the bikes.

Going out to a track as a couple is a little different to sitting at your PC with your headphones on

Dan,
Quote from danowat :
I certainly would'nt tell a girl I was "wooing" (you cad, does anyone this side of 1940 still use that word? )

Dan,

I do...

Ever since:
You should find yourself a girl, mate.
Or maybe the reason you practice LFS three hours a day is because you've already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet.
You're not a eunuch, are you?!
#40 - MR_B
Playing LFS isn't geeky
Sitting on the forums is!
#41 - Gunn
My girl supports my sim racing hobby 110% And why not, anyway? I support everything she does 110% It's a nice arrangement that more couples should adopt IMO.

Sim racing has always been a great hobby. It's relatively inexpensive compared to just about any other full-time hobby, it's competitive, ever changing (you never get the same race twice, truly dynamic gaming), you get to stay home and don't have to risk the real road, bed is only a few steps away, it is intellectually stimulating to race tough opponents, builds character and provides your daily allowance of calcium so it is good for the teeth and bones....ok, I made up the stuff about the calcium but the rest is true!

I'm happy to replace 95% of what would otherwise be "TV Time" with some hard racing, some relaxing skinning, or some lazy laps with good friends.
#42 - CSU1
Quote from Gunn :My girl supports my sim racing hobby 110% And why not, anyway? I support everything she does 110% It's a nice arrangement that more couples should adopt IMO.

Sim racing has always been a great hobby. It's relatively inexpensive compared to just about any other full-time hobby, it's competitive, ever changing (you never get the same race twice, truly dynamic gaming), you get to stay home and don't have to risk the real road, bed is only a few steps away, it is intellectually stimulating to race tough opponents, builds character and provides your daily allowance of calcium so it is good for the teeth and bones....ok, I made up the stuff about the calcium but the rest is true!

I'm happy to replace 95% of what would otherwise be "TV Time" with some hard racing, some relaxing skinning, or some lazy laps with good friends.

Yes, it's nice to see a couple come to an agreement like that, but If I where to support her interests 110% like you I would find myself in the nicker section of M&S 40 hours of the week, so no I just take the ignorant approach>slap on the headphones and race away
Works for me...
Quote from Doorman :Being 65 and telling people I race online, I receive slightly raised eyebrows. When they see the kit I use to do it I get 'My god!'s. Oddly enough they all want to have a go on it though.

firstly, fair play to you sir, there should me more online racers with your life experience (thats PC for "old")

and i know exactly what you mean about them seeing the kit, exactly the same for me and any mates that ive invited over.

the only time ive felt "geeky" about telling anyone about LFS was when i was chatting to a guy on my round.(im a postie).
he owns a small car dealership and races locally driving a modified toyota MR2. i got the impression he wasnt too impressed when i told him i race online.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Embarrassed about racing LFS??

HELL no!

The first thing girls see when they visit me is my race seat and my DFP

I had a girlfriend a while ago, she actually asked me frequently
how my LFS racing was going, did I win some leagues etc.
- Wich I find VERY nice for a girl to ask about.
She actually was thinking of MY interests.

I should have married her.

Heh, my friends often joke that I'm mostly likely to get a bird by not saying a word and dishing out alcohol until they don't notice the beard anymore.

But to hell with them, I'm an interesting person really! Although most women seem to think I hate them until they get to know me. Probably since most "youthful" men go straight for the girls and try and chat them up, so the apparent lack of attention I give them (i.e. not more than I bloke I don't know) must mean I hate them. Women logic, eh?
#46 - CSU1
Quote from Bob Smith :Heh, my friends often joke that I'm mostly likely to get a bird by not saying a word and dishing out alcohol until they don't notice the beard anymore.

But to hell with them, I'm an interesting person really! Although most women seem to think I hate them until they get to know me. Probably since most "youthful" men go straight for the girls and try and chat them up, so the apparent lack of attention I give them (i.e. not more than I bloke I don't know) must mean I hate them. Women logic, eh?

The ignorant approach, women can't stand it when they think that your not intersted ,so they get all conflustered and it drives em mad, thus speeding up the process, quicker than your buddy that would go straight for the kill
did someone say geek?

it does seem a bit weird to tell my girlfriend that i have an "internet computer game date" with some people i don't even know, but on the other hand, i would never complain about her spending time away from me to take her kids to hockey practice, and i think she realizes that it amounts to the same thing.
Playing LFS is and isnt geeky. If you casually play in the evenings instead of watching television but dont care that you miss LFS for a night out down the pub then its not geeky. But i think if you start gettin towards teams, leagues, regular times to be playing LFS and you start to move your social life round it then yes i think LFS is geeky.

Lucky for me i go out thursday nights mainly and organised racing is usually weekends
I think it's geeky, but expected of me by my Missus! Before LFS, It was MAME and Street Fighter/Xmen/King of Fighters. But saying that, the other night I was on UKDirt banger server, changed my name to SkyeChloe (baby's name) and let her have a go. Lo and behold 3-4 races later, she won! I nearly gave birth as she insists she hates games, but you should of seen the grin on her face!
Quote from Blaeza :I nearly gave birth as she insists she hates games

Sounds painful. I thought childberth was mens way of getting their own back on the years of nagging to come.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG