The online racing simulator
Why does everyone forget about Rallycross?
Rallycross provides some great racing, so why are there so few servers running it?

RB4/BL2 is IMO a very, very good combo that tests the driver as much as the car, especially due to the jumps. It's also good with XFG too.

FE RX Green is also good with XFG and UF1.

Whilst we have no real rally cars, RX with road cars is very interesting.

Please, give Rallycross a chance on servers
Personally I just dont like rallycross. Nothing more to add.
Hell.. Since wednesday I have been driving 550 laps on FE RX Green with the RB4..
With cut, my PB is 29.41, without 30.40 something...
After seein the STCC #2 video I have completly started doing rallys....
Getting a lill tired of doing the basic tarmac racing..
The Norwegian LFS community has a very low Rally priority.. Theres mostly drifters or regular racers....
Hopefully we will start racing rally more...
there are rally servers.

I count 10 servers running rally configs, all empty.

it's up to the players, really.
Quote from felplacerad :there are rally servers.

I count 10 servers running rally configs, all empty.

it's up to the players, really.

Yeah, but the thing is it was more rallyX-servers with people racing before. They have dropped of successive. And why?

I think those 3 layouts + reversed are a little bit too few to attract people to race constantly on those combos. Its simple to see that the devs have made Rallycross a small part of LFS , and therefor not so many rallycross drivers. Ive seen many "former" RallyX-racers becoming Tarmac-racers just because there is more ppl racing on those servers, and coz it has more to offer (cars and track combos).

But i think the rallyX-part of LFS will grow if there is some "update" coming. Rallycross havent after all been updated with new tracks since S1, and dont have a single Rallycross-optimized car. But its up to the devs, what they plan in the future of LFS. I can just hope an update will come some day, and i think it will do
Rallyx tracks in LFs are bit too dull to be interesting enough, best one is definately FE rx Green.

And the second thing is that it doesn't feel like you're driving a rallycross car (especially not after RBR), e.g. sound immersion is not there. Though CSR mod might help this when someone releases the first sound pack for RB4. Even gravel rattling sound could be possible to do with CSR.

Third thing is collision detection problems. Rallycross should be bumper to bumper... of course you can do that in LFS too but too often the collision stuff gets so weird.
Quote from duke_toaster :Rallycross provides some great racing, so why are there so few servers running it?

RB4/BL2 is IMO a very, very good combo that tests the driver as much as the car, especially due to the jumps. It's also good with XFG too.

FE RX Green is also good with XFG and UF1.

Whilst we have no real rally cars, RX with road cars is very interesting.

Please, give Rallycross a chance on servers

If you think BL2 is good, you should really try a few runs in RBR at Monte Carlo. 2 long tarmac straights and a couple of dirt corners with a few jumps and bumps don't make for terribly exciting rallycrossing, unless of course one has no prior rallying experience and think that's sufficiently so.

Better yet, go do the real thing on RL gravel. Then you'll understand why LFS's rallycross leave a LOT to be desired (and why the servers are non-existant/empty).

The only existing rallycross circuits of ANY real good are the fern bay examples, though they are still too tarmac biased. There's simply NOWHERE in LFS to use the knobbly tires at all. The knobblys are supposed to dominate the non tarmac surfaces, but there's no rallycross circuit now that's heavily gravel and dirt biased. Nowhere to prove their worth.
Quote from Jamexing :
There's simply NOWHERE in LFS to use the knobbly tires at all. The knobblys are supposed to dominate the non tarmac surfaces, but there's no rallycross circuit now that's heavily gravel and dirt biased. Nowhere to prove their worth.

I totally agree with you. It should be a Gravel biased track or ever a track with only gravel, so the Knobbly tires can be used somewhere. No one using them on the existing tracks.
Agreed, too much tarmac. Hence BF1 is fastest at BL1 (i.e. the silly Czech Madman).

Don't forgot autocross peeps, if you're bringing up areas of (sadly) little interest.
I done some XRT BL rally x a while back, against about 15 RB4's which was great fun WHEN none of them spun me out (I guess it's hard to be gentle in rally x)

But yes rallying has dropped off and it should come back, but the stupid contacts in LFS ruin it, RallyX has the most contact yet when it happens in LFS something stupid happens. I think this has somehting to do with the decrease in Rally servers too.
i think rallycross gives the best racing
Quote from jmracing1 :I totally agree with you. It should be a Gravel biased track or ever a track with only gravel, so the Knobbly tires can be used somewhere. No one using them on the existing tracks.

But most real-life rallycross is like that. If you look at the tyres that rallycross cars are fitted with, you'll find that they are a long way from the gravel-focused "knobbly" tyres which they use in gravel rally events. The fact is that most rallycross circuits have a lot of tarmac on them. There's nothing wrong with the LFS circuit design.
Quote from Bawbag :
But yes rallying has dropped off and it should come back, but the stupid contacts in LFS ruin it, RallyX has the most contact yet when it happens in LFS something stupid happens. I think this has somehting to do with the decrease in Rally servers too.

Yes, thats correct. If u have contact with another car, it kinda catapult you away in an unrealistic way. Thats kinda sad, coz it could be so much fun without it.
Quote from sinbad :But most real-life rallycross is like that. If you look at the tyres that rallycross cars are fitted with, you'll find that they are a long way from the gravel-focused "knobbly" tyres which they use in gravel rally events. The fact is that most rallycross circuits have a lot of tarmac on them. There's nothing wrong with the LFS circuit design.

I dont say its wrong, i just wanted a gravelbiased track for complement and variety. The other way to go is to delete the knobbly tires, coz now they are not so usable.
ive still got my hopes up that some day the infamous rally pack will hit us out of the blue

Quote from Bob Smith :Don't forgot autocross peeps, if you're bringing up areas of (sadly) little interest.

curiously enough only the drifters use the au feature at all online
I agree that rallycross just isn't as fun as it could be because of the 50/50 gravel/tarmac tracks. If we had some proper rally stages that were completely dirt or gravel I'd love to race on those.

Unfortunately, those types of tracks would not be very good for multiplayer head-to-head racing. They're just too narrow for multiple cars. In addition, because they would be point to point races there would not be much reason to ever bother with setup changes. Track temp and conditions never change, number of laps never changes, etc. Once you get a good setup and drive the track a few times, the novelty would probably wear off (One VERY long road split into many stages might have a lot of replayability though).

Barring some sort of random track generator, I think the best solution would be make a system which works like the current autocross layout editing, but with a large dirt area and jumps/berms instead of cones. This would give us a sort of stadium racing and would allow us to have virtually unlimited tracks.

Of course, we'd also need a stadium truck to make the most of it as well.
Quote from Cue-Ball :

Of course, we'd also need a stadium truck to make the most of it as well.

That's something that I would like to see actually. A http://www.corracing.com/ style truck (or both a 2wd and 4wd version) with some quality all-dirt full environments with multiple configurations to go with it. You could have buggies and stuff too of course.
Without those sorts of vehicles though, an all-dirt circuit doesn't make sense (imo).
Quote from Cue-Ball :<post>

Stadium trucks are NOTHING to do with rallycross

Fern Bay RX is also nice, but a bit too low speed. All we need is a rallycross car
CORR is NOT Stadium trucking.

Ever seen CORR on TV? I did,and it are full rallycourses,and alot more fun watching them then rallycross/rally
Quote from Sternendaal :CORR is NOT Stadium trucking.

Ever seen CORR on TV? I did,and it are full rallycourses,and alot more fun watching them then rallycross/rally

Surprisingly yes I have. Thanks for pointing out that they don't do it in stadiums, though. I quoted him because he made me think of trucks.
They aren't rally courses, though. A rally course is something you compete in a rally on. These trucks race, they are dirt/mud racing circuits.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG