The online racing simulator
Words Of The Day :- Yield......mirrors!!
I am not normally one for having a rant but today I feel compelled to do so as last night I nearly burst a vain in my head!!!!

Every night I look forward to spending a couple of hours on BLGP FOX on the Redline Racing server. Here the racing is usually really competitive and fair.

Last night however I was ran off the track twice by different drivers who seemed to not see me even though I was almost at their front wheel. I know there have been plenty of threads about this but it IS still an issue. When passing or being passed I always check my mirrors to make sure im clear..... I have a button on either side of my wheel and its done within a fraction of a second !!! (COME ON GUYS PLEASE CHECK YOUR MIRRORS!!!)

You know when a car catches you fairly quickly that he is obviously going to pass you. The amount of times I have caught a much slower car and gone down the inside to only be cut up unnecessarily is really starting to annoy me and I'm sure others.
AND ONE MORE THING!!!!!!

This is also happening more where a back marker will inadvertently have an off and rejoin the track slap bang in the middle of a corner, you come round fully committed to the bend and BANG its the end of your race!!!! COMMON SENSE MUST PREVAIL!!!

I am not standing on my soap box as i have also made these mistakes in the past but i like to think i have learnt by them....

H aka Jack Bauer
Quote from h_heywood :I am not normally one for having a rant but today I feel compelled to do so as last night I nearly burst a vain in my head!!!!

Ouch!

Quote from h_heywood : Every night I look forward to spending a couple of hours on BLGP FOX on the Redline Racing server. Here the racing is usually really competitive and fair.

Ok

Quote from h_heywood : Last night however I was ran off the track twice by different drivers who seemed to not see me even though I was almost at their front wheel. I know there have been plenty of threads about this but it IS still an issue. When passing or being passed I always check my mirrors to make sure im clear..... I have a button on either side of my wheel and its done within a fraction of a second !!! (COME ON GUYS PLEASE CHECK YOUR MIRRORS!!!)

Good advice - it something the public need to learn.
[quote=h_heywood;247240]
[quote=h_heywood;247240]You know when a car catches you fairly quickly that he is obviously going to pass you. The amount of times I have caught a much slower car and gone down the inside to only be cut up unnecessarily is really starting to annoy me and I'm sure others.
AND ONE MORE THING!!!!!![/quote]Sorry, but the fast car has no right to just pass the slower car, and the slower car has every right in the world to choose whatever line he wants. In fact, the faster car, being behind and presumably a better driver, should never have an accident passing a slower car, as he knew what to expect. It's not like being taken out by a non-braker at T1. If you catch a slower car and dive down the inside, was the pass actually on? If you'd done the same move to me, would you expect me to defend? Then why not the slower driver?

[quote=h_heywood;247240] This is also happening more where a back marker will inadvertently have an off and rejoin the track slap bang in the middle of a corner, you come round fully committed to the bend and BANG its the end of your race!!!! COMMON SENSE MUST PREVAIL!!![/quote]LFS shows some handy yellow flag warnings, so you choose whether to stay on it or not. And you have eyes - don't want to hit someone back off and look. Simple. People DO spin, and people will ALWAYS try to get back on track in the shortest amount of time - realise that and you've never hit a spinner again.

[quote=h_heywood;247240] I am not standing on my soap box as i have also made these mistakes in the past but i like to think i have learnt by them....[/quote]Now the hard bit (and trust me it is hard, and I ain't perfect either) - learn from everyone ELSES mistakes, so that you are never in a position to be hit or to hit someone.

[quote=h_heywood;247240] H aka Jack Bauer [/quote]
Rejoining without looking is actually quite a big issue, I think a lot of public server racers don't think twice about it. When I see it happen on the STCC server i'll stick a ban of anything up to 30 days on a driver for rejoining without looking.

Being a dunse when side by side with another car though is fairly realistic... Unfortunately.
Sorry, but the fast car has no right to just pass the slower car, and the slower car has every right in the world to choose whatever line he wants. In fact, the faster car, being behind and presumably a better driver, should never have an accident passing a slower car, as he knew what to expect. It's not like being taken out by a non-braker at T1. If you catch a slower car and dive down the inside, was the pass actually on? If you'd done the same move to me, would you expect me to defend? Then why not the slower driver?

Tristan, i take your point on everything you have replied with but the issue as above i dissagree! Last night the buffoon drifted to the left and forced me into the wall, i caught him really quickly once passed the guy behind him. There is a difference between defending and blatant pushing someone off!! Had this been real life i could have a nasty thumb injury this morning!!!

I do see what your saying though mate!!

Becky:
If i do have an off i never rejoin mid corner. I will take a short trip on the grass to an area that isnt in immediate use. Banning is a definate deterant i think!! Although i dont like the whole banning saga i can see this as the only solution.
I have the same problems, racing on Redline...
on the AS Club RR am often driven off the track at the first turn, the first shikane and the 2nd one... Mostly because people doesnt pay attention if people are side by side... It was okay the first 30 times but it's starting to get anoying.....
I dont think there is much you can do about the first corners on most tracks. Even if everyone tip toes round there will always be some sort of collision. I try and stay well out of it on the outside then pick my way through the carnage!!
use pitspotter...
#8 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :Rejoining without looking is actually quite a big issue, I think a lot of public server racers don't think twice about it. When I see it happen on the STCC server i'll stick a ban of anything up to 30 days on a driver for rejoining without looking.

Unfortunately the STCC server is running FE1/TBO, with most running the FXO, in which is understeers like a small barge round each corner, and unfortunately the standard of driving tends to be appaling (Bah STCC drivers, and Becky!). People just don't look and shove you out of the way, one guy drove right across the track...

Please people, look left and right, or use Pitspotter!

EDIT - Bah!
Whats pitspotter???? Excuse the ignorrance!!
#10 - Jakg
Quote from h_heywood :Whats pitspotter???? Excuse the ignorrance!!

dont worry! In NASCAR, they have someone with binoculars watching your car and says if anyone is next to you, Pitspotter in LFS does the same, as your driving along it says "Right side", "Left side" and "Clear" when theyre not level with you, great for knowing if you've got overlap - i find it very useful, you can get it here

Hope this helps!
Maybe that will help some of the blinkered racers!!

Thanks Jakg....
I'm aware of the difference between defending and blatent pushing off the track. You too are aware of the difference. But 'the slow people' might not be. Best to treat anyone you meet on track as a total fool unless he proves otherwise.

Why let yourself get into the position where you CAN be forced off the track or have a collision. I know it's not always as easy as this, but in many cases a simple feint or change of line will keep you safe no matter what the 'slower person' does.

Just reread this (and my last post) and I'm sorry if I come across as being humourless - it is meant in a light hearted manner, and I'm not attempting to put you down in any way. We've all been there (I know I have). If I give you a nice smiley will you believe me? --> :juggle:
Quote from Jakg :dont worry! In NASCAR, they have someone with binoculars watching your car and says if anyone is next to you, Pitspotter in LFS does the same, as your driving along it says "Right side", "Left side" and "Clear" when theyre not level with you, great for knowing if you've got overlap - i find it very useful, you can get it here

Hope this helps!

I've played with people and talked to them on TS and while I was playing I heard "Right clear", "Left Clear" and alot of other stuff.. Finally I know what it is
I'll agree and disagree with you.

I agree that people should take more care when rejoining after an off. I'll take a look at the map for a "view around the corner" and a look to the side to see if there's anything that my position marker on the map may be obscuring. Tristan's right though - anyone coming round the corner should be ready to take evasive action. What if a driver has crashed, but is bouncing back across the track? There's nothing he can do to avoid a collision...

I don't agree that people should just magically know that you're there and get out of your way because you think you're faster. As the overtaking car, you've got to assess the situation and make a safe pass. As for checking their mirrors - you don't seem to be considering that they may be checking their mirrors, but they've not seen how fast you're closing. How can you check your mirrors when being overtaken if you don't know you're being overtaken?

If you don't think someone has seen you, take care. If someone is trying to push you off track then hang back and get them on the exit or pressure them into a mistake. If you're that much faster than them it won't take long for them to be trying so hard to keep you at bay that they'll see themselves in a gravel trap and you can throw them a spade as you pass.
I can see everyones points of view and take them on board and hope others do likewise.......

Christofire,
If someone goes off and hits the wall and bounces back on to the track thats just part and parcel of racing, you cant do anything about that. You see people complaining that shift+s should have been used, i dont agree with that, it isnt realistic. It is the mindless careless lack of attention paid when racers are crawling back onto the track in ridiculous places. This can surely be prevented with a bit of attention to the map and a quick look left or right!!!!

Tristan,
All taken in the humour meant!!! Diggin the smiley....

H
My online racing behaviour is quite timid- I hang back on T1 (usually), then try to wind my way through the pile up, and I'm pretty nervous when I come into the situation of passing someone. I guess its a matter of confidence and experience but I have no idea what someone's going to do in those few seconds that we're side by side (or what I'm going to do!). 99% of the time it's ok. I also get nervous that I'll accidently run someone into the wall in the way you're talking about, because they've come up too fast and I didn't see them. Hasn't happened yet, though... :schwitzI'm pretty sure! hehe)

If I crash in an awkward spot then it's tempting to just hit 'spectate', that gets me out of there quickly, but then I feel lame for chickening out. It's just a game, after all...

I'm basically a bundle of nerves online! illepall
Not trying to toot my own horn, but often when you're lapping someone you're coming up on them REALLY fast. So it's either you sit behind them for a corner and drive slowly to gauge how they corner after rushing up on them, or you attempt a pass move and hope that he realizes that you can easily pass him through the next corner. I don't think anyone in real racing would be forced to slow down when they see a possible passing maneuver on a lapped car, it's on the lapped car to give up the corner once a pass is started.

And having a yellow with someone spun out on a track is perfectly ok, the OP was complaining about people rejoining/moving their car across the track after spinning out with traffic coming. Really aggravating to see a hole and try to drive through it and then the spun out car starts moving into your hole. I'm not asking anyone to do anymore than what I'd do, last league race I went off and waited for a gap in the pack to show up and gave up 7 positions, when if I felt like being annoying I could've tried to merge right away with traffic coming.
To my mind it has to be a better option of using your superior car speed to overtake them after the corner rather than trying to stuff in the inside ,alot of ppl (Me too) get quite nervy about being overtaken by the faster guys, like trying to stay out of the way to the extreme and making it worse.

The other fact is that were all racing and nobody like to concede a possy just cos your clearly faster doesnt mean its a given that you should get an easy pass,if its a blue flag situation then thats completely different but if not than i,m afraid you will have to work to get by..

One last point unless your driving from the cockpit veiw you only have one virtual mirror so its not as easy as you think,thats not to say that i cant hear someone close by.
Quote from richo :To my mind it has to be a better option of using your superior car speed to overtake them after the corner rather than trying to stuff in the inside ,alot of ppl (Me too) get quite nervy about being overtaken by the faster guys, like trying to stay out of the way to the extreme and making it worse.

The other fact is that were all racing and nobody like to concede a possy just cos your clearly faster doesnt mean its a given that you should get an easy pass,if its a blue flag situation then thats completely different but if not than i,m afraid you will have to work to get by..

One last point unless your driving from the cockpit veiw you only have one virtual mirror so its not as easy as you think,thats not to say that i cant hear someone close by.

I do see the nerviness a lot, tend to see people go flying off the road after a pass even giving them maximum room to play with by staying completely to the inside/outside. Usually happens though if you make the pass at the entrance to a set of corners, forget that the person might not have the abilities to drive close together side by side through a set of sweepers and squeeze them more than they're comfortable with.
good points
Quote from richo :To my mind it has to be a better option of using your superior car speed to overtake them after the corner rather than trying to stuff in the inside ,alot of ppl (Me too) get quite nervy about being overtaken by the faster guys, like trying to stay out of the way to the extreme and making it worse.

I know that ppl get nervy but when I am coming close ppl find that (as in rl life) slipstreaming as a threat - but I do it only for letting know where I am before overtaking.

Quote :The other fact is that were all racing and nobody like to concede a possy just cos your clearly faster doesnt mean its a given that you should get an easy pass,if its a blue flag situation then thats completely different but if not than i,m afraid you will have to work to get by.

no way - i need way. Preferably on inside (when I am in such situation I make room for 1 or 2 cars on inside)

Quote :One last point unless your driving from the cockpit veiw you only have one virtual mirror so its not as easy as you think,thats not to say that i cant hear someone close by.

Ha! I said that zillion times.
And will say it again - the width of virtual mirror should be an option (so you can see up to 180deg - zanardi style mirror - without affecting fov)
#21 - PCCD
Mores to the point people can rant about this all they want. People will still do it as they know full well people seem to have a thing for pressing 1. All they have to do is start the vote, post ban crasher or similer and bang that's the end of you due to their idiocy.

As a rule myself, when someone is fairly close behind me and it's not a blue flag, I try and defend my line not to the point of ramming folk off the road but still I'll defend. If it's blue flag and the guy is pretty close behind and I'm not trying to chase someone down, I'll kill the throttle and let them through.

People having problems driving side by side can be problem, in my experience people do try and outbrake you and on something like the first corner in the middle of pack that can cause an even bigger accident with the cars in front
#22 - Jakg
Quote from PCCD :Mores to the point people can rant about this all they want. People will still do it as they know full well people seem to have a thing for pressing 1. All they have to do is start the vote, post ban crasher or similer and bang that's the end of you due to their idiocy.

tis the way of the demo im afraid!
Quote from AndRand :The width of virtual mirror should be an option (so you can see up to 180deg - zanardi style mirror - without affecting fov)

I like that idea. It's also something that the "realism nazis" can't complain about because curved mirrors do exist.
just thought this is not worth a new thread and isn't really offtopic

check these replays and express your opinion,
was it my fault or not. I often save replays with such accidents when i'm sure i did nothing wrong but people keep telling me otherwise

btw, plz no 'zomg noobz0r fox on asclub' i actually love racing touring cars but there aren't much populated servers so..

(notnice.mpr - accident at the first lap, no need to watch all race)
(foolstart.mpr - next race starts and the same guy swerves at me)
Attached files
not nice.mpr - 966.6 KB - 154 views
foolstart.mpr - 94.3 KB - 149 views
Quote from Peptis :I like that idea. It's also something that the "realism nazis" can't complain about because curved mirrors do exist.

180 deg curved virtuell Mirror ? Where ? What price?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG