The online racing simulator
Maximum Steering Lock
(25 posts, started )
Maximum Steering Lock
Back in Version 0.1 I remember being able to set the steeering lock to 60 degrees I think. This was when drifters were storming the servers. I just checked now and it saw only 1 drifing server.

To fit my drifting style I need the steering lock to be able to be set further.I am trying to get back into it. Especially with the racing versions of the car only getting 25 degrees maximum. I heard on ESPN I think that drifters have a clutch pack LSD, rear wheel drive car, softer suspension in back and a aftermarket kit to be able to set the steering angle to a wider angle.
Higher max steering lock would be unrealistic and secondly, LFS isn't a drifting sim.
I don't think you should really be drifing the racing cars anyway. Race cars are for racing, the road cars are driftable, and it does provide a nice break from racing, much like drag racing, but ultimately, teetering on the edge of grip while feeding in power from your V8 engine while climbing a blind crest, is what it's all about.

LFS: Online RACING Simulator
no need for a higher max lock, its fine as it is.
#5 - axus
Again...? This is getting asked for like... monthly.

*waits for tristan's reply*
I know it's not a drifting sim, but it's supposed to be a car simulator and real cars drift.

I just played 0.1W version and 45 degrees was the maximum that could be selected.

At least for the road cars, I'd be happy.

Here real car with 60 degrees of lock! Aha! In response to "Higher max steering lock would be unrealistic ".

"And to achieve greater steering angles we had to change the steering-arm on the knuckle, which now enabled us to earn another 10-12 degrees of steering. The car has substantial amounts to start with, it's 45-degrees I believe; now it's close to 60-degrees steering lock, which I believe is more than acceptable as a first outing for the GTO."

http://cars.ign.com/articles/496/496166p2.html
Quote from axus :Again...? This is getting asked for like... monthly.

*waits for tristan's reply*

Which means? People want it?
#8 - axus
Quote from Gargantula :Which means? People want it?

Drifters want it - 3 people from every 1000 want it. If you cannot drift with the current available lock you shouldn't be drifting in the first place. The problem is that we have standard production cars in LFS as road cars on which you cannot get higher lock without some serious modifications. If you show us a car that has more than 36deg steering lock stock, then Scawen has said he will gladly change this limit. Also note that FWD road cars can only go upto 30deg because they have to have the drive shaft there also which complicates things - this is all for the purpose of REALISM.
axus n00b drifters want it. It's totaly easy drifting with 36 degrees, heck, even the FXR on normals (and even on R4s!!!) is driftable, but that is ofcourse AWD. 36 is plenty.
Scawen said, in responce to critisism of the decision to reduce it, that he will consider changing it back if someone can show him a production car with more than 30 degrees of lock (or whatever the road cars have in LFS).

And besides, the good drifters manage just fine, it only tended to be the noobs that moaned (not that I wish to unfairly catorgorise you )

Good enough Axus? Edit: oh, you beat me anyway
Geesh, people on this forum and very adamant with their opinions about a silly game. Games are supposed to be fun folks. Age could be a factor...

I entered a drifting contest and placed in the top ten long time ago. Since my skills were targetedI had to type that. I hate to brag. I can drift with the available lock, but it'll allow a sharper angle of drifting. I can also do it in slingshot race cars on a slick track.

You can't drift a FWD properly so adding a FWD comment is not to the point and anybody saying that you can, then I think you might have n00b tendecies.
Quote from axus :this is all for the purpose of REALISM.

If I wanted full REALISM, I'd get off my lazy butt and go do it in real life even with the cost of doing it which I plan to eventually on road cars.
#13 - Jakg
the idea is that the cars are both stock and realistic, adding more lock would break both those rules, and drifting is fine atm, more lock would just make it a drift sim
Quote from Jakg :more lock would just make it a drift sim

I don't think the image of the game would change. I still consider it a Racing Simulator.
iam still not used to u patch new physics, but i learning to control the car properly, drifting too...
but anyway, the idea is: lfs is a racing simulator, drift is a motorsport, why some lfs player tend to think drift is useless, or attitude of someone cant do a proper lap time or something like that?
i dont like drag, but i dont try to make other people think in the same way as i.

thats what i think...

cheers

ps: about drag i don like, but some times i go on the straightway to test acceleration...
Quote from newage :iam still not used to u patch new physics, but i learning to control the car properly, drifting too...
but anyway, the idea is: lfs is a racing simulator, drift is a motorsport, why some lfs player tend to think drift is useless, or attitude of someone cant do a proper lap time or something like that?
i dont like drag, but i dont try to make other people think in the same way as i.

thats what i think...

cheers
ps: about drag i don like, but some times i go on the straightway to test acceleration...

I agree with guys above.Its racing simulator and not drifting simulator.It would somehow change the picture of the LFS and the guys around just dont want to be LFS called unrealistic.
I am pure racer but I tried to drift the LFS cars and its quite possible even with current system.
Drifting is motorsport....ofcourse,but not racing.
Quote from Gargantula :Back in Version 0.1 I remember being able to set the steeering lock to 60 degrees I think. This was when drifters were storming the servers. I just checked now and it saw only 1 drifing server.

To fit my drifting style I need the steering lock to be able to be set further.I am trying to get back into it. Especially with the racing versions of the car only getting 25 degrees maximum. I heard on ESPN I think that drifters have a clutch pack LSD, rear wheel drive car, softer suspension in back and a aftermarket kit to be able to set the steering angle to a wider angle.

I find that i need more than 16.0 for the BF1 but maybe not as much as 60!?! lol
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
gargantula how are you going to drift a real car if you don't have a 45 degree lock? Rant at the manufacturer?
Quote from Primoz :gargantula how are you going to drift a real car if you don't have a 45 degree lock? Rant at the manufacturer?

But did the manufactirers want the car to be able to drift? Thats the question
Well, SX series designers probably did have that somewhat in their minds maybe. Just a bit. For the BMWs (e30s are very popular drift machines here), the answer is simple. No.
I don't have the picture handy, but someone sent me one a few weeks ago of a car that was modified to have a really huge steering angle. From the picture it looked to be 60 or 70 degrees. Again, that's not a stock car though.

I agree that one probably shouldn't require a ton of steering lock for drifting. As long as the car is understeer over the limit, it will straighten itself up in time regardless of the steering lock you use. It just takes longer if you can't crank it way, way out there
And why did you choose to bump this 7½ month old thread?
because the current thread about max lock is too long to read
I demand 90 degrees! Maybe more!
Quote from AndroidXP :And why did you choose to bump this 7½ month old thread?

Oh good grief, I didn't see that lol
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

Maximum Steering Lock
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG